The Rise of the College Crybullies

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
THE RISE OF THE COLLEGE CRYBULLIES, as charted by Roger Kimball in the Wall Street Journal. “For more than a week now, the country has been mesmerized, and appalled, by the news emanating from academia. At Yale the insanity began over Halloween costumes. Erika Christakis, associate master of a residential college at Yale, courted outrage by announcing that ‘free speech and the ability to tolerate offense are the hallmarks of a free and open society’ and it was not her business to police Halloween costumes:”
In another shocking video, a student photographer is shown being forced back by an angry mob while Melissa Click, a feminist communications teacher at Mizzou, shouts for “muscle” to help her eject a reporter.

What is happening? Is it a reprise of the late 1960s and 1970s, when campuses across the country were sites of violent protests? In my book “Tenured Radicals: How Politics Have Corrupted Our Higher Education,” I showed how the radical ideology of the 1960s had been institutionalized, absorbed into the moral tissues of the American educational establishment.

As one left-wing professor wrote in the Chronicle of Higher Education, “After the Vietnam War, a lot of us didn’t just crawl back into our literary cubicles; we stepped into academic positions. With the war over, our visibility was lost, and it seemed for a while—to the unobservant—that we had disappeared. Now we have tenure, and the work of reshaping the universities has begun in earnest.”

The truth is that American universities are among the safest and most coddled environments ever devised by man. The idea that one should attend college to be protected from ideas one might find controversial or offensive could only occur to someone who had jettisoned any hope of acquiring an education. Many commentators have been warning about a “higher education bubble.” They have focused mostly on the unsustainable costs of college, but the spectacle of timid moral self-indulgence also deserves a place on the bill of indictment.

more

Instapundit » Blog Archive » THE RISE OF THE COLLEGE CRYBULLIES, as charted by Roger Kimball in the Wall Street Journal. “For m…

#bubblewrap

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Go ahead and Google this woman.... Melissa Click. She's a college professor at Mizzou that assaulted an MU Student who worked for the college newspaper. Then she asked for "muscle" to get him out of some media free area they created on a public space.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Some university students are being extremely coddled. parents have actually gone to prof's offices and complained about the marks that their kid has received on a paper.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Some university students are being extremely coddled. parents have actually gone to prof's offices and complained about the marks that their kid has received on a paper.

Helicopter parents. It goes beyond college too. Some parents go to job interviews with their kids. I was talking to a director that had an employee's mother call in sick for him.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I have no words......about how disgusting this is to me. If we think things are bad now, wait for it because I'm sure we're going to hear more about how the progressives are the most intolerant of people - so much so that we're going to end up being a communist-type society - don't think for yourself - only group think is allowed (i.e. indoctrination) and for heavens sake, don't offend anyone! The progressives can do exactly that but god forbid if you don't agree with them, you'll be marked for life LOL!!

JMHO

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/04/meet-the-cry-bully-a-hideous-hybrid-of-victim-and-victor/

Some additional reading on the "cry-bully" topic. It really does change ones take on the news when you learn to recognize this tactic. Media manipulation is the norm these days, when you give someone an audience too often it becomes less about what the speaker knows to be true and more about what they can get you to believe.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/04/meet-the-cry-bully-a-hideous-hybrid-of-victim-and-victor/

Some additional reading on the "cry-bully" topic. It really does change ones take on the news when you learn to recognize this tactic. Media manipulation is the norm these days, when you give someone an audience too often it becomes less about what the speaker knows to be true and more about what they can get you to believe.
Absolutely. Even the CBC admitted that they've omitted certain facts and use other forms of creative/selective editing in a story, and then claim it's in the "public interest". That's not for the media to decide though, especially when it comes to a source that exists primarily by sucking on the Canadian taxpayers' teats.
Nothing like paying someone to lie to you.