Stephane Dion replaces portrait of Queen with two paintings by Quebec artist that wer

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Stephane Dion replaces portrait of Queen with two paintings by Quebec artist that were removed by Baird

A portrait of Queen Elizabeth II that reigned over the lobby of Foreign Affairs headquarters has been taken down and replaced by two Canadian coastal landscapes that once hung in the same spot.

The timing, just two weeks after the Liberals ousted the loyalist Conservatives, has some wondering if the victors are laying siege to the previous government’s firm embrace of our colonial past.

“It makes it appear as though the new government wants to downplay the monarchy,” Robert Finch, dominion chairman of the Monarchist League of Canada, said in an email.

“Naturally, we’re disappointed … (but) I don’t think they want to do that at all. During the election campaign, the Liberal party gave a ringing endorsement for the monarchy so I would expect the last thing they want to do is upset Canadian monarchists.”

Finch said there’s enough room on the spacious lobby for all three images. “This is probably what should have been done four years ago, it’s what should be done today.”

A spokesman for the department, now called Global Affairs Canada, said Monday that it is “committed to showcasing Canada, our art and our culture in all of our facilities, whether at home here in Canada or abroad in our embassies, high commissions and consulates.

“The re-installation of the pair of historic paintings by Quebec modern master artist Alfred Pellan in the main entrance of the Lester B. Pearson Building represents our continued interest in representing the best of Canada at every opportunity,” spokesman John Babcock said in a statement.

They are “an excellent way to welcome Canadians and guests to Global Affairs Canada.”

Babcock did not say whether likenesses of the Queen will be removed from other Global Affairs Canada properties, including overseas missions.

The large, framed photo of the Queen that adorned the Sussex Drive building was taken during her Golden Jubilee visit to Canada in 2002, and showed her standing before a Canadian flag and wearing Canadian insignia.

It, too, caused a stir when it was first hung on the “Sovereign’s Wall” in June 2011 on orders of then-foreign affairs minister John Baird, an unabashed monarchist. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visited Ottawa a month later.

The Pellan works had hung in the spot since the opening of the Lester B. Pearson Building in 1973 and were originally commissioned for the 1944 opening of first Canadian mission in Brazil.

Titled “Canada West Canada East,” they capture iconic scenes of totem poles, coastal mountains, fishermen, moose and sailboats.

The foreign affairs building – “Fort Pearson,” as it is sometimes known – is named after Canada’s 14th prime minister, a Liberal whose government won a fierce political battle with John Diefenbaker’s Conservatives to replace the Canadian Red Ensign flag in 1965 with the Maple Leaf, the modern symbol of Canada’s break from British colonial rule.

Under Stephen Harper’s leadership, the Conservative government put the “royal” back into the titles of Canada’s navy and air force and ordered that all Canadian embassies and missions display a portrait of the Queen.

During the general election campaign in September, Liberal Party president Anna Gainey, a confidante of Justin Trudeau, now the prime minister, responded to a monarchist league questionnaire inquiring about the party’s support, if elected, for Canada’s constitutional monarchy.

“Her Majesty will remain an integral part of our country’s evolution, progress, and future,” Gainey wrote.

source: Stephane Dion replaces portrait of Queen with two paintings by Quebec artist that were removed by Baird | National Post

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I am almost afraid to ask how much those paintings cost. I am pretty sure it was the Gliberal gov't that spent $2 million on a red stripe with a blue stripe on each side.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I am almost afraid to ask how much those paintings cost. I am pretty sure it was the Gliberal gov't that spent $2 million on a red stripe with a blue stripe on each side.

Two million was just the cost of paint. Used many tubes.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Two million was just the cost of paint. Used many tubes.
That figures. The artist should have used latex paint. It is about $40 a gallon. One could get 3 coats/gallon easy on something that size. $80 + $35 for labour.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
A red stripe would already be a significant improvement over the queen.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
God Save the Queen. A great woman who performed perfectly once again at the Cenotaph on Sunday.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
God Save the Queen. A great woman who performed perfectly once again at the Cenotaph on Sunday.
I have bad news for you, Blackie ..... gods could not give a pinch of goose shyte about humans, or the planet either, for that matter.
Besides, what would a god save the queen from anyway? Too much wealth? Useless kids? Old age? hahaha

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As I recall the stripe paintings, there are two of them and they cost 2 million apiece.
We are still paying at least as of eight years ago the last time I heard anything on
this. By that I mean the paintings are insured and in storage or were up until 8
years ago would be nice to know what they did with them

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Everybody is an art critic. Hint: real, professional art critics don't know WTF they are talking about. They like to use 8 cylinder words to baffle their audience with BS. It makes it easier to pay some 2nd rate artist 2 million for a piece of garbage.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Both times they've replaced those paintings has seemed unnecessary. They didn't need to put the Queen up and then after they did they didn't need to take her down. Although, if there was nothing up there and they had a meeting to decide what to put up, seems like the Queen would make the most sense. You can ask "why landscape paintings?" "why these in particular?" but not really "why the Queen?". She's the default.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
As long as the Queen is Head of State it would seem appropriate to have her picture there. At the very least, The Governor General, who is the Queen's Representative in Canada.
If Trudeau and Dion had their way they would likely put a picture of Montcalm up there! Or the French President. Or even Louie Riel.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
That picture of Queen Justine is just wetting pants hilarious. Very inventive.

It wasn't the Queen's choice that they have their Remembrance Day on Sunday. It was set up by the government and called "Black Sunday"