China's Social Credit System. Thoughts?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sounds like a terrific social control mechanism. But then, the Chinese were always good at that.

And of course the government would NEVER rig it. Just like the Chinese stock market.

Simple Man

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2013
North of ordinary
Sounds like a terrific social control mechanism. But then, the Chinese were always good at that.

And of course the government would NEVER rig it. Just like the Chinese stock market.
There are some attractive sides to big brother knowing all if big brother isn't a dickhead. Inevitably it seems that when someone in power gets to play with the big stick they start abusing the position. But the idea of a system of credit that allows or takes into account some aspects of what kind of "person" you are it could be good.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There are some attractive sides to big brother knowing all if big brother isn't a dickhead.
If we had some peanut butter, we could make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, if we had some jelly.

In other words, Big Brother is ALWAYS a dick.

Inevitably it seems that when someone in power gets to play with the big stick they start abusing the position. But the idea of a system of credit that allows or takes into account some aspects of what kind of "person" you are it could be good.
It would be hopelessly corrupt a nanosecond after it was launched.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Too scary for me to even consider - wayyyy too intrusive and personal. I can see, to some extent, protecting the public from fraudulent businesses and activities, but not the personal stuff. I would say....stay out of my business!!"

JMHO

Simple Man

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2013
North of ordinary
I still wonder though about a system, maybe not this example mind you, wherein your status or means within a society is commensurate with the good you demonstrate within that society.

North American Banks have been credit scoring for a generation. Who knows how far they go already.

Yeah but that credit score is sheerly a number based on your capacity to stay on the good side of loan sharks. You could be a serial killer who beats his dog, chains his wife, terrorizes his neighbourhood and steals candy from trick or treaters and still have a top notch credit score.

Conversely you could feed the poor, volunteer for charity, help old ladies across the road but default on your credit card or bank loan and be saddled with the label of deadbeat; further you are labeled thus by a corrupt and deceitful pool of predatory entities.

Too scary for me to even consider - wayyyy too intrusive and personal. I can see, to some extent, protecting the public from fraudulent businesses and activities, but not the personal stuff. I would say....stay out of my business!!"

JMHO

I get that, but were a system to be based on a societal feedback rating of who you are rather than your capacity to spend money it would be a good thing I suspect.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I still wonder though about a system, maybe not this example mind you, wherein your status or means within a society is commensurate with the good you demonstrate within that society.

Yeah but that credit score is sheerly a number based on your capacity to stay on the good side of loan sharks. You could be a serial killer who beats his dog, chains his wife, terrorizes his neighbourhood and steals candy from trick or treaters and have a top notch credit score.

Conversely you could feed the poor, volunteer for charity, help old ladies across the road but default on your credit card or bank loan and be saddled with the label of deadbeat; further you are labeled thus by a corrupt and deceitful pool of predatory entities.

Never work. Just look at how many kid diddlers volunteer their time to work with youth. Just you usually don't know what their ulterior motive is until it is too late.

Simple Man

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2013
North of ordinary
Never work. Just look at how many kid diddlers volunteer their time to work with youth. Just you usually don't know what their ulterior motive is until it is too late.

Fair enough. Yet that risk, or capacity to break that trust exists right now. So when too late rears it's ugly head the perp is punished (or slapped on the wrist as it may be) yet his means to purchase or reap the rewards of being a low credit risk are unaffected.

Better I would think that should one betray a trust that person should pay by being faced with that reality in every way. Example: This person goes to Canadian tire to buy a fishing lure and pays double as a reflection of his being a **** up; or perhaps when trying to make a reservation for their anniversary they are told that they are simply not welcome because of who they have demonstrated themselves to be. In this way a person's conduct is tied to his / her means to survive or thrive within the community.

Flip side is somebody that sacrifices their time via civic interests at the expense of time making money may find that the lure at Canadian tire is free that week or that their meal is comped.