Are Walmarts Good Or Bad For Canadian Economy?

Wagner

Time Out
Sep 16, 2015
Every since I read the bait and switch horror stories about Walmart's sell out on the American people, I look upon them with distrust and contempt, and wonder how many Canadian businesses they killed off? What do they offer our communities now? Slave labor jobs and cheap crappy products from China. If I had my way, I would send them all packing. Sorry to say but I see them as economic parasites that take much and give so little.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I was there Monday. The evil pricks were selling corn for 10¢ an ear. 10¢? Where do they get off selling cheaper than I've seen in the past 30 years?

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Saw a show on how Walmart destroyed small towns. With how they came in, dropped prices and everyone went to Walmart abandoning the small shops. Then the small shops closed up. Then the population complained about big, bad Walmart. Go figure.

justfred99

Nominee Member
Aug 2, 2015
North America
I was there Monday. The evil pricks were selling corn for 10¢ an ear. 10¢? Where do they get off selling cheaper than I've seen in the past 30 years?
In the retail industry there is a term of reference know as "LOST LEADER." What that means is that they get you in the door with a very low priced item that you will buy, then assume that you will buy the rest or a good portion of your grocery list at the store. It works in a lot of cases.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Every since I read the bait and switch horror stories about Walmart's sell out on the American people, I look upon them with distrust and contempt, and wonder how many Canadian businesses they killed off? What do they offer our communities now? Slave labor jobs and cheap crappy products from China. If I had my way, I would send them all packing. Sorry to say but I see them as economic parasites that take much and give so little.

Actually that is wrong, as far as I know they support charities, they hire people other outfits consider to be unemployable and they have products for sale that we can't afford to buy elsewhere. Target came into town and couldn't compete with Walmart due to higher prices and limited selection. Nothing wrong with Walmart!

So you bought it at another store where the price higher for the same thing?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Saw a show on how Walmart destroyed small towns. With how they came in, dropped prices and everyone went to Walmart abandoning the small shops. Then the small shops closed up. Then the population complained about big, bad Walmart. Go figure.

Well back in the day we'uns went down to Bob's Hardware and Feed and had to place an order and wait about two weeks for the tool to arrive. Walmart had it on the shelf. F*ing azzholes.

In the retail industry there is a term of reference know as "LOST LEADER." What that means is that they get you in the door with a very low priced item that you will buy, then assume that you will buy the rest or a good portion of your grocery list at the store. It works in a lot of cases.

It sure does. Go in for a fan... Well I may as well get coldcuts for lunch.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Um. . . no, there isn't. There is a term "loss leader," which I think is what you're talking about.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think the bottom line is to stay in business you have to be able to compete. The best way to compete is to provide top quality for lowest price. If you can't do that you have to provide whichever is in greatest demand. If it's paper clips it's probably price, if it's electronic it may be quality.

Um. . . no, there isn't. There is a term "loss leader," which I think is what you're talking about.

Yeah, I don't think he was talking about a piece of misplaced fishing tackle.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Good in that if they all closed down the city dump is the next level in 'stores' when living conditions going down-hill.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Don't kid yourself, they would buy reject Tabor corn and label it made in China to get the price down that low.