Pit Bulls, Seem to be not so bad

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
My sister is a vet tech. We went to a Parade on Saturday and she made a interesting observation. At most parades now, many seem to bring their dogs. Susan noticed that most of them were some kind of variance of pit bulls. A couple of years ago everyone would have been running for the exits if people knew there was a pit bull close by. I am certainly not A pit bull basher, I had one of my own and she wa the kindest, gentlest animal that I ever had. Still I would not let her near my grand-daughters.Just thought interesting that pit bulls have already made a comeback, or people don't realize just what kind of dog they have.k

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
meh, what a dog is like usually depends on what its owner is like, but they do each have their own personalities.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My sister is a vet tech. We went to a Parade on Saturday and she made a interesting observation. At most parades now, many seem to bring their dogs. Susan noticed that most of them were some kind of variance of pit bulls. A couple of years ago everyone would have been running for the exits if people knew there was a pit bull close by. I am certainly not A pit bull basher, I had one of my own and she wa the kindest, gentlest animal that I ever had. Still I would not let her near my grand-daughters.Just thought interesting that pit bulls have already made a comeback, or people don't realize just what kind of dog they have.k

Yeah that is one specie who's bark is definitely worse than their bite.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
well, that's not quite what I meant, Frankie. What I meant is that if you have a happy owner, the dog is usually a happy dog, if you have a bitter, suspicious owner the dog is likely to be bitter and suspicious as well, and mean owner ---> mean dog, and so on.

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Pit bulls and pit-bull crosses (not always easy to distinguish) have caused more than a third of the nation's dog-bite fatalities since 1979 and a comparable proportion of serious injuries....

Scared of Pit Bulls? You'd Better Be! by Brian C. Anderson, City Journal Spring 1999

Maybe if dog owners were not such douches, the Pit Bull wouldn't have a such a bad rap. I suggest we euthanize the dog owner if they bite someone, and you should see better behaved doggies.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
A dog is a dog, it's the dog owners that need to be trained for the most part. If you choose to own a really powerful breed like a pit bull, you need to make sure that dog is highly obedient and is having all of it's exercise needs met. It's the owners that don't do those things, that don't really care or think a tough dog is "cool", well those are the d-bags that have d-bags for dogs.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Does generations of breeding for a single purpose, matter for anything?
Breeding it out completely could also take generations....

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Does generations of breeding for a single purpose, matter for anything?
Breeding it out completely could also take generations....

Of course it matters. But that's why the breed needs a conscientious owner and not the tough guy wanna be's that seem to be drawn to the breed.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What I meant was given a set of circumstance any dog can revert back to generations of training....even back to it's wild state for a few moments....
One year at a festival about 30 miles from the nearest town, a man had a rottweiler, so gentle than even strangers kids could pet him, pull on his ears, mess with him, and the worst thing that dog would do is slobber all over them.
The dog happened to be asleep one day and the family's granddaughter went to pet him... the dog woke up with a start and snapped at her, mauling her so bad with a single bite, that she had to be air lifted to the closest hospital...
Dunno what happened after that...never saw those folks again.
I always say, Big dog, big bite..........and on the lighter side big dog, big poop to pick up....both reason I prefer to own a smaller dog:lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Pit bulls and pit-bull crosses (not always easy to distinguish) have caused more than a third of the nation's dog-bite fatalities since 1979 and a comparable proportion of serious injuries....

Scared of Pit Bulls? You'd Better Be! by Brian C. Anderson, City Journal Spring 1999

Maybe if dog owners were not such douches, the Pit Bull wouldn't have a such a bad rap. I suggest we euthanize the dog owner if they bite someone, and you should see better behaved doggies.

From what I can gather "Pit bull" is the term applied to a variety of dogs, quite often the Staffordshire Terrier.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
What I meant was given a set of circumstance any dog can revert back to generations of training....even back to it's wild state for a few moments....
One year at a festival about 30 miles from the nearest town, a man had a rottweiler, so gentle than even strangers kids could pet him, pull on his ears, mess with him, and the worst thing that dog would do is slobber all over them.
The dog happened to be asleep one day and the family's granddaughter went to pet him... the dog woke up with a start and snapped at her, mauling her so bad with a single bite, that she had to be air lifted to the closest hospital...
Dunno what happened after that...never saw those folks again.
I always say, Big dog, big bite..........and on the lighter side big dog, big poop to pick up....both reason I prefer to own a smaller dog:lol:

Yes, I agree. It's the reason I'd never leave a small child alone with any dog.

As far as what a pit bull can do and was bred for though, it still comes down to being a responsible pet owner. You need to prepare for the needs of the breed, and for the most part if those needs are satisfied, you won't get undesirable behavior. But it's not a guarantee of course.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
From what I can gather "Pit bull" is the term applied to a variety of dogs, quite often the Staffordshire Terrier.
Staffordshire Terrier is the proper name, fore the breed commonly called pit bull.
We had a breeder here up north that claimed that the line she was breeding, the ancestors had never been in the ring, and never sold a dog to anyone that came and referred to those dog as "pit bulls"
When I visited her kennel the pups mother were right in the pen with the litter and never put up a fuss while I was handling the pups, and even licking the pups and my hand when I had them in my hand...and they were only two weeks old at the time.
I was tempted to buy one, but the price was exorbitant!

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Pit bulls are like firearms. If an idiot owns one, at some point things will go south real fast. Of course the prime difference being is the pit bull doesn't need the idiot with it in order to go off.

Having said that, I had a friend years ago that had a pit bull and that dog was a the biggest suck on four legs I've ever seen.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
A dog is a dog, it's the dog owners that need to be trained for the most part. If you choose to own a really powerful breed like a pit bull, you need to make sure that dog is highly obedient and is having all of it's exercise needs met. It's the owners that don't do those things, that don't really care or think a tough dog is "cool", well those are the d-bags that have d-bags for dogs.
You don't walk pit-bulls, they walk you.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
With the dogs being illegal in Ontario, a lot are being shipped elsewhere in Canada to avoid euthanizing them. So if you are getting a dog from a shelter outside Ontario, pit bulls would be a higher than statistical presence. But you cannot bring one into Ontario.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
With the dogs being illegal in Ontario, a lot are being shipped elsewhere in Canada to avoid euthanizing them. So if you are getting a dog from a shelter outside Ontario, pit bulls would be a higher than statistical presence. But you cannot bring one into Ontario.

Pitbulls are illegal in Ontario?