Separation of Church and State.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Do you know? I know what it means and dispensing that knowledge is a good thing. I just want hear what the unwashed masses think it means.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
It's an American concept coined by Tommy Jefferson to express the idea that in America, unlike many of the European nations to which they left, the state would not hold power over the church. There would be a "wall of separation between church and state" such that the state could not meddle where it didn't belong. Of course, those within the church were allowed to provide input into the government (just as those outside the church could do).

Modern secularists on the left have twisted the meaning around to say that the church cannot hold sway over the government, but the state can reach through the veil of separation to control what the churches do.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As far as I remember it is the concept where those in elective office would not
defer their obligations to society to the power of the church. Elected officials
would be free thinkers and would not conspire to give undo powers to
church influence and the churches would not hold special powers save the
right to practice their religion. That is a simplistic break down there is more to it

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Who under the Throne was responsible for taxes, census, marriage and birth certificates, the poor, health care, orphans and so forth in the Colonies?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Big problem is too many are confusing in axing of prayer in Congress, schools, and removal of symbology as separation of church and state when in reality it is an equality driven issue.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They certainly don't need to be the admin arm of a Gov but at the time every town or village had a church when Gov didn't.