Parks Canada euthanizes bear cub after its mother was killed on a highway

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Parks Canada euthanizes bear cub after its mother was killed on a highway
By Shawn Logan, Calgary Sun First posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:38 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, August 13, 2015 01:45 AM EDT
Parks Canada destroyed a two-month-old black bear cub, saying it couldn’t survive after its mother was mowed down near Revelstoke.

The female bruin was struck and killed along the Trans-Canada Hwy. some 400 km west of Calgary Aug. 5, leaving behind one orphaned cub.

Spokeswoman Jacolyn Daniluck, citing department policy, would not answer questions about the incident when reached by phone, opting to provide e-mailed responses instead.

In an e-mail, Parks Canada said it had no choice but to destroy the infant bear.

“The cub was only two months old and would not have survived on its own, therefore our staff followed Parks Canada’s standard protocol and took the humane action of putting the bear cub down,” it read.

Last month, there was international outrage after B.C. conservation officer Bryce Casavant was suspended for refusing an order to destroy two black bear cubs, orphaned after their mother was killed breaking into a mobile home in Port Hardy.

He opted instead to turn the pair over to a local wildlife recovery centre where they are said to be thriving.

The B.C. government is now reportedly reviewing its policies around the killing of predators in the wild.

So far this year in Mount Revelstoke and Glacier national parks, five black bears have been killed by vehicles along the highway.
Parks Canada euthanizes bear cub after its mother was killed on a highway | Cana

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
We had to shoot 3 bears this year up in Wheeler River Area Saskatchewan earlier in the summer. Here in Scuzbury were under seige ffs..... The bears are even downtown lol

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think humans need to learn to live with bears instead of against bears. That really goes for all of nature. We are so hell bent on forcing nature to adjust to us, it's a waste of time, energy and resources.

We need to learn to co-exist. We need to be smarter rather then expect the animals to be smarter.

Last edited:

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
We Co existed with the one bear for 2 weeks before we finally got the 30/30..... Our camp dog got into a scrap with it and got thrown around bad. Your right we need to be smarter but that won't be happening anytime soon

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We Co existed with the one bear for 2 weeks before we finally got the 30/30..... Our camp dog got into a scrap with it and got thrown around bad. Your right we need to be smarter but that won't be happening anytime soon
I'll coexist with anybody 'til I get the 30/30.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Bears are like people. You get a wide variations in their personalities. Me personally I don't shoot although I come from a major hunting family. When I was damn near killed by a grizzly mother in BC I even requested the bear not be shot and sure enough we never seen the bear again

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Actually, I believe the double 30 first meant .30 cal loaded with 30 grains of black powder.....

Yup.

I think humans need to learn to live with bears instead of against bears. That really goes for all of nature. We are so hell bent on forcing nature to adjust to us, it's a waste of time, energy and resources.

We need to learn to co-exist. We need to be smarter rather then expect the animals to be smarter.

Tell that too the bears.

Why could they have not let nature take its course and let the little bear die of natural causes?

Some crazy broad would cry, that's why.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
To get along with humans. It's only been what, a couple hundred thousand years of coexistence and the cocksuckers still insist on attacking people?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
To get along with humans. It's only been what, a couple hundred thousand years of coexistence and the cocksuckers still insist on attacking people?

so you expect the dumber of the animals to figure it out?

cocksuckers? don't think I want to hear any of your camping stories.