Danish Music Festival Brilliantly Turns Patron’s Pee Into Beer

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Danish Music Festival Brilliantly Turns Patron’s Pee Into

Nothing is worse than having to use a porta-a-potty at a crowded festival. But a Danish agricultural group wants to put all that urine to good use—by turning it into beer.

Roskilde, northern Europe’s largest music festival, which took place in Zealand, Denmark from June 27-July 4, launched its “piss to pilsner” initiative with the aim of collecting 25,000 liters (or 6,600 gallons) of festival goer’s urine, it was reported.

But if you’re a fan of Danish beer—you needn’t worry that you’ll be drinking up actual pee in your next brew. The collected urine is being transported to nearby fields for a malted barley fertilizer that could be used in beer that will be served to festival goers as early as 2017.

“The huge amount of urine produced at festivals was having a negative impact on the environment and the sewage system,” Leif Nielson from Roskilde’s partner, the Danish Agriculture and Food Council (DAFC) told the Guardian. “But ‘beercycling’ will turn the urine into a resource.”

Over 100,000 people attended this year’s Roskilde to hear musicians that included Florence and the Machine, Pharrell Williams and Sir Paul McCartney.

ur_2
Organizers say that “beercycling” could change their approach in dealing with the massive waste collected at the end of each event, and having celebrity pee collected doesn’t hurt either.

“I think most people can see the reason and the fun behind making a personal contribution to beer brewing, and the fact that rock music is involved will help us get our message across.”

Danish Music Festival Brilliantly Turns Patron's Pee Into Beer

Straight from the pisser to your glass, and then recycled again :lol:

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Being able to to turn your own urine into beer must be every beer-lover's dream.

This scheme reminds me of those TV adverts for Denmark's Carlsberg beer - "If only Carlsberg did supermarkets...." - which also play on every beer-lover's dreams.

Last edited:

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I use to like Michelob. Only in the bottle though. After busting your azz on a hot and sweaty day wasn't nothing better than a frosty cool bottle of Michelob. Bud always gave me a headache and that Heineken brew tasted like shyte. Haven't drank any beer in several years but if I ever go fishing again I wouldn't mind a cold bottle of Michelob for old times sake but, I don't think they make it anymore. I remember when we were kids my grandma use to drink a beer name of Falstaff. Sometimes we'd sneak in the fridge and pilfer one. Never had Canadian beer but if it is anything like Heineken i'lll pass.