When did things change?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I used the n-word as a child and teen and it was not thought of as taboo. When did the word become verboten for white people to use? Was it in the '80s?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
When did the word become verboten for white people to use?

When white, middle-class Lefties got "offended" on behalf of other people who probably weren't actually offended.

I myself have no problem with the word.

As kids we were taught:

Sticks and stones will break my bones
But words will never harm me.

But there is a certain class of numpty today that's forgotten that wise verse.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
We used to use moron and retarded as technical terms when describing a person whose mental capabilities were impaired, those words are gone from the polite lexicon

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We used to use moron and retarded as technical terms when describing a person whose mental capabilities were impaired, those words are gone from the polite lexicon

We use to use "spaz" and "mong" to describe such people when I was at school and nobody ever batted an eyelid. There was no PC in those days. You could say what you like.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And by "we", you mean that's what they called you?

We all used it against each other, either on the school playground or when playing in the street.

Like when some kid tried to steal your mate's dinner money, and you'd go up to him and say: "Leave him alone, you spaz, or else I'll twat you."

"Gay" was another thing we often used to call each other on the school playground. "Leave me alone, you gay!" You can't do that nowadays because the teachers will keep you behind for an hour after school and give you a "homosexuality awareness and diversity training."

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
We use to use "spaz" and "mong" to describe such people when I was at school and nobody ever batted an eyelid. There was no PC in those days. You could say what you like.
Spaz was short for spasmodic which was and is still used in technical reports.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Spaz was short for spasmodic which was and is still used in technical reports.

It's also short for "spastic", and when I was a kid the term "spastics" was the acceptable term to describe what we would now call "members of the cerebral palsy community." There was even the charity called "The Spastics Society" to help spastics. But, because the terms "spastics" is now not considered PC, it's had to change its name to "Scope".