'Aliens Are Out There - And They Look Like Us'

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
'Aliens Are Out There - And They Look Like Us'

Hollywood's depictions of aliens may not be far from the truth, according to a leading evolutionary biologist.

Aliens resembling humans must have evolved on other planets, a leading biologist has claimed.

Evolutionary biologist Simon Conway Morris says it is surprising we have not already discovered extra-terrestrials that look like us - given the growing number of Earth-like planets now discovered by astronomers.

He based his claim on evidence that different species will independently develop similar features which means that life similar to that on Earth would also develop on equivalent planets.

The theory, known as convergence, says evolution is a predictable process which follows a rigid set of rules.

"I would argue that in any habitable zone that doesn't boil or freeze, intelligent life is going to emerge, because intelligence is convergent," he said.

"One can say with reasonable confidence that the likelihood of something analogous to a human evolving is really pretty high.

"And given the number of potential planets that we now have good reason to think exist, even if the dice only come up the right way every one in 100 throws, that still leads to a very large number of intelligences scattered around, that are likely to be similar to us."

The argument is put forward in his new book The Runes Of Evolution.

He has previously claimed that aliens would resemble earthlings with limbs, heads, and bodies.

And he goes further in the new book, claiming any Earth-like planet should also evolve predators like sharks as well as mangroves, and mushrooms, among many other things.

source: 'Aliens Are Out There - And They Look Like Us'

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
I, for one,welcome our galactic Overlords.

In fact this dude has no more knowledge on this subjects than my neighbours dog.

And since Einstein Diwcovered C as the universal speed limit, we will likely never know.

Some people call the limitation of the speed of light "Gods quarantine ". Not a bad description.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I, for one,welcome our galactic Overlords.

In fact this dude has no more knowledge on this subjects than my neighbours dog.

And since Einstein Diwcovered C as the universal speed limit, we will likely never know.

Some people call the limitation of the speed of light "Gods quarantine ". Not a bad description.

It sure seems to be as unassailable as ever. It is a lonely thought but a highly likely one that the relativistic problems of deep space flight will contain us to our solar systemn forever.

Mak54291

Dec 23, 2011
Montreal
I say that there must a be a lot of different form of life out there and for sure the humanoid one. Which is for me the forms of life with a head and body that look like us.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I say that there must a be a lot of different form of life out there and for sure the humanoid one. Which is for me the forms of life with a head and body that look like us.

Too say that all aliens look like humans is ludicrous. Thet would imply that all lifeforms on a particular alien planet look humanoid, despite the fact that most lifeforms on Earth don't even look humanoid.

Mak54291

Dec 23, 2011
Montreal
Too say that all aliens look like humans is ludicrous. Thet would imply that all lifeforms on a particular alien planet look humanoid, despite the fact that most lifeforms on Earth don't even look humanoid.

I meant intelligent life forms. Sorry.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
There is still no proof of extraterrestrial life (although it just HAS to be there, eh?)
It is less certain as to whether there are other intelligent species out there and it is by no means guaranteed. There could be hundreds, thousands of them out there but it is still a distinct possibility that we are alone. This is just like a religious faith. Perhaps, it is one.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
I worked with an engineer in the Eighties who I am sure was masquerading as a human. Everyone in our department came to the independent conclusion that he was an extraterrestrial..

Very strange guy.

(Cue X-files theme)

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Did he probe you in your sleep?

No no, don't be silly. They wake you up with a soft caress and a gentle blowing in your ear.
Then, if you have enough lube handy, it's prostate stimulation time. My favorite time.
Oops, getting a chub on just writing this.
Can't wait to pretend to be asleep again.