Dating for shallow people who deserve each other

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Young singles celebrate becoming members of the League at its NYC launch party at the Jane Hotel in April.

For Thatcher Shultz, finding the right dating app is nearly as difficult as finding the right girl.

Tinder is “awful, just a mess, a waste of time,” laments the 31-year-old CEO and founder of an online automotive business. Hinge is old news: “I went to high school with the founder,” he explains. And Match is a bit too obvious after Shultz agreed to model for the site as a favor for a high-positioned pal there. “I regret doing it,” says Shultz, a Dickinson grad whose cheekbones could slice an apple.

The League, though, is just right.

“[It’s] just a more curated group of people geared towards our demographic, which is 20s and 30s and, you know, who come from a good family,” Shultz says of the ultra-exclusive dating app, which provides users with just five matches a day.

“It’s high-end . . . We need that.”

Apparently, so do 30,000 other New Yorkers.

That’s the number of applicants League founder Amanda Bradford’s had since bringing her app to Gotham last month. The number of people accepted thus far? Seven thousand, she says.

The company — the “country club” of dating apps, according to Bradford — uses a secret algorithm to mine potential users’ LinkedIn and Facebook profiles. (Where you went to school and what you do are two of the most important factors in gaining admittance.) A team of seven employees has final approval over the top-tier user base.

League founder Amanda Bradford boasts that it’s the “country club” of dating apps.Photo: Michael Sofronski

“I do think the concept of exclusive, invite-only, hard-to-get-into, wait-in lines — it’s very New York,” says Bradford, 30, whose company weeds out the hoi polloi from the hoity-toity. (The app, which is free, even boasts a concierge service that doles out dating tips and feedback.) “I think it’s a good fit for the mentality here.”

Since the app launched, she has been inundated with pleas from the public.

more student council news here

This app helps terrible people have sex with each other | New York Post