Thousands of dogs, cats slaughtered during annual Chinese festival (VIDEO)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Thousands of dogs, cats slaughtered during annual Chinese festival (VIDEO)

Thousands of cats and dogs have been killed, burned and skinned alive at the annual Chinese Yulin festival – in spite of the government’s pledges to put a stop to the practice regarded across the globe as barbaric and outrageous.

The festival saw hundreds of meat traders come to the country’s southern Guangxi province to celebrate the summer solstice.

Queues were stretching outside 300-seat eateries such as the Yulin No. 1 Crispy Dog Meat restaurant, which sells the newly slaughtered animals for $6 a kilogram, The Independent reported.

Earlier, about 500,000 people signed a petition to end the festival, and hundreds of thousands of tweets were posted with the #StopYulin2015 hashtag.

On Sunday, protesters blocked the streets, raided slaughterhouses, and bought the animals set to be slaughtered.

One of the demonstrators, Peter Li from the Humane Society China group, told The Telegraph that he witnessed that traders “were blow-torching the carcasses to make them shiny and ready for shipment to restaurants”.

"There were some dogs still alive in wire cages, but they looked exhausted, emaciated and dirty,” he added.

Another protester, 65-year-old Chinese woman Yang Xiaoyun, paid about $1100 to save 100 dogs.

Last year, the local authorities promised to prohibit the event and the use of words “dog meat”.

Killing cats and dogs isn’t against the law in China, but the majority of animals are strays, so the authorities have repeatedly warned the population about potential health risks.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_9skxembhw

In March, Li Jun Qing, head of Yulin's Food And Drug Administration, stated that the event had not been supported by the government – however, the festival went on as planned.

In 2014, 10,000 dogs and 4,000 cats were slaughtered during the festival, according to the official estimates.

The festival was started in 2009-2010 by the country’s meat traders.

source: http://rt.com/news/268753-dogs-cats-slaughter-festival/

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
One man's pet is another man's livestock.

That's true. While it wouldn't be my choice, I can't really condemn the selection. I just hope, and this goes for our industry as well, that they aren't torturing the animals and being unnecessarily cruel.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Humans eat at least 50 different species for meat. No biggie.

When I was a kid and my grandparents ran the farm, there was a calf that I took a shine to and it to me. I named it Hank.

Long story short, Hank ended up on my plate with Dad teasing me about enjoy a nice piece of Hank shank.

I learned my lesson.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
That's true. While it wouldn't be my choice, I can't really condemn the selection. I just hope, and this goes for our industry as well, that they aren't torturing the animals and being unnecessarily cruel.

They beat them while they are alive to tenderize the meat, and at times skin them alive.

WARNING: Video is very hard to watch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4m-nXa-Rfo

When I was a kid and my grandparents ran the farm, there was a calf that I took a shine to and it to me. I named it Hank.

Long story short, Hank ended up on my plate with Dad teasing me about enjoy a nice piece of Hank shank.

I learned my lesson.

Poor Wilbur the pig. :(

What did you have for breakfast??

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I learned my lesson.

Never name dinner.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Meat is murder no matter who does it.

So a lion hunting and killing a zebra is murder? We are carnivores (well technically omnivores). Killing other animals is a fact of life.

As to the Chinese, they are free to eat what they choose. However, there is no excuse for inhumanely killing any animal (skinning alive counts as inhumane in my books).

They beat them while they are alive to tenderize the meat, and at times skin them alive.

WARNING: Video is very hard to watch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4m-nXa-Rfo

Poor Wilbur the pig. :(

What did you have for breakfast??
I had bacon wrapped scallops for supper last night. Yummy!