Life after Kellogg’s

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I did something myself I stopped buying their product. I hear input costs are too high
and other factors. Here are some factors to consider. Executives are taking more
than their share, Executives are receiving bonuses thousands of dollars more than
employee wages. Governments are giving too many companies a free ride in not
paying their fair share. In the latter case they and others have been getting a free ride
long enough.. The other big factor is they want to increase their Margin of Profit
rather than making a profit.
When these companies move I just don't buy their product anymore its a small gesture
but if we all did it it would send a message

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Kellogg's is not and never was a Canadian company. You'd think no one ever lost a job before, sheesh.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I'll bet that the 'input costs' being referenced are higher taxes in Ontario as compared to the deal they were offered elsewhere. This is really no different then the CAT plant that relocated from Canada to the rust belt in the US.

How much longer will it take Wynne to put 2+2 together?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
your compassion is exemplary. I'm overwhelmed and quite honestly my eyes are kinda misty. Look at me, I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree,,,,,,,,
Have you gone to London and given these people who worked at Kellogg's your money to help them out?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
While I'm never happy to see anyone out of work, I have to wonder about the average wage being $30/hour. $30 an hour to put cereal in boxes? I get that there is some learned skills as far as working with a line, using factory machinery but it's not that much of a wonder why they can't find anything comparable salary wise without retraining.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
While I'm never happy to see anyone out of work, I have to wonder about the average wage being $30/hour. $30 an hour to put cereal in boxes? I get that there is some learned skills as far as working with a line, using factory machinery but it's not that much of a wonder why they can't find anything comparable salary wise without retraining.
that's probably a great deal of the reason that a box of corn flakes is about five bucks.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Somebody has to fix and maintain the machines. Those would be the people who raise the average to make it look like a box stuffer makes $30 an hour.

Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) 433A Certification Wages, Hourly Wage Rate | PayScale Canada

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Somebody has to fix and maintain the machines. Those would be the people who raise the average to make it look like a box stuffer makes $30 an hour.

Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) 433A Certification Wages, Hourly Wage Rate | PayScale Canada
My daughter is a nurse and she doesn't make 30 bucks an hour. I understand that wages are based upon whatever the market will bear but honestly, I'm not placing in my own mind a whole lot of value in a box of corn flakes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Kellogg's is not and never was a Canadian company. You'd think no one ever lost a job before, sheesh.

I know the Kellogg bros. were Americans born in the U.S. but that has f**k all to do with competent, productive Canadians losing their jobs. Was the company losing money in Canada? Were there problems that could have been discussed with the workers? Was there adjustments that could have been made to allow the outfit to continue?

My daughter is a nurse and she doesn't make 30 bucks an hour. I understand that wages are based upon whatever the market will bear but honestly, I'm not placing in my own mind a whole lot of value in a box of corn flakes.

That suggests to me that perhaps the employees were willing to make adjustments to keep their jobs.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I did something myself I stopped buying their product. I hear input costs are too high
and other factors. Here are some factors to consider. Executives are taking more
than their share, Executives are receiving bonuses thousands of dollars more than
employee wages. Governments are giving too many companies a free ride in not
paying their fair share. In the latter case they and others have been getting a free ride
long enough.. The other big factor is they want to increase their Margin of Profit
rather than making a profit.
When these companies move I just don't buy their product anymore its a small gesture
but if we all did it it would send a message

I cannot see cereal companies or the need for them growing...all that sugary stuff is bad and people are finally beginning to understand that is not a healthy breakfast/snack

same with the fast food industry...it's day will come and it is here now for McDonalds...its not healthy and people are slowly (very slowly) comprehending this

McDonalds is rapidly trying to adjust with healthy salads/meals...they have seen the light...don't know if it's in time or not...there are way too many options/choices on their menu as well...Other burger places keep it simple...

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
which is why manufacturing will become highly, highly specialized with fewer and fewer people on the line...those days are done

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
which is why manufacturing will become highly, highly specialized with fewer and fewer people on the line...those days are done

It's becoming more and more assembly than manufacturing. Parts are sourced globally then assembled in the biggest market areas. It makes more sense to have smaller assembly facilities where or close to where the product is being consumed.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
You are probably right. I can make several jigs and patterns and with a router , template guides and pivot point attachments I can creates all kinds of furniture of various shapes and designs. But those same pieces I've created with my old school knowledge of woodworking can now be produced in a fraction of the time it had taken me with a CNC "computer numerical control". Folks like me have to face the fact that our craft and our creativity has become obsolete. But I will say this. When I was a young man I made my mother a solid oak headboard. Mom has been gone now for several years and one of my sisters owns the headboard and it looks the same as it did well over a quarter of a century ago. Not sure that tradition will remain in this new "highly specialized" world.