Risky outdoor play is good for your kids

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
no kidding

In an age where many children spend more time in front of a screen than a window, the argument for getting outside is supported by new research out of Canada. The risks associated with outdoor play in natural environments have proven to have positive effects for developing children, according to a new study.

Combined research from the University of British Columbia and the Child and Family Research Institute at B.C.'s Children's Hospital shows that children who participated in outdoor physical activity displayed greater physical and social health.

These findings are the result of more than 20 studies that focused on health and behaviour among children involved in different types of risky play.

Being able to climb, jump, tumble and explore independently not only increased physical health, but helped to improve social interactions, creativity and resilience among kids.

News - Risky outdoor play is good for your kids. Here's why - The Weather Network

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I found an old photo of me as a toddler ,in the yard surrounded by chicken wire. All my childhood I was outside, I had a bike, toboggan, bobsled and a cart. BUT, it seemed no matter where I went or who I was with, Mum always knew.
A lot of kids now are stupid, spoiled emotional cripples.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Combined research from the University of British Columbia and the Child and Family Research Institute at B.C.'s Children's Hospital shows that children who participated in outdoor physical activity displayed greater physical and social health.
These findings are the result of more than 20 studies that focused on health and behaviour among children involved in different types of risky play.
Being able to climb, jump, tumble and explore independently not only increased physical health, but helped to improve social interactions, creativity and resilience among kids.

I'm not even sure how we arrived at this place of protecting them from everything perceived as dangerous (which let's face it, really is dangerous - yet we lived through it) and then feed them tons of junk and keep them sedentary...ya know so they will live a short miserable privileged life and die fat and young

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
We used to encourage our kids to jump off tall buildings, but would the little bastards do it. ? NO

8O..........C'mon Percy, fly like Superman.........:lol:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
We used to encourage our kids to jump off tall buildings, but would the little bastards do it. ? NO

8O..........C'mon Percy, fly like Superman.........:lol:
lmfao

it's a wonder some of the kids survived...

maybe you forgot to give him the towel...ya know, to wrap around his neck like a cape...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Dunno ... when a computer game junkie figures the opponent will get a second life just like in screen life, you want to be sure the kid has no access to dangerous stuff. Play in the traffic means something different now. We had sense then...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
there was no criss-crossing when we played 'war'. you shot a punk with your cut-off hockey stick and that was it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
My grandkids are all involved in "outside" activities; air cadets, soccer, hockey, group music.

They do like their computer time, and (smart phone??).......ones that take pics, etc. Haven't seen them
walking home from school with their eyes glued on a phone.............yet. They appear to be pretty well
balanced. Thank god they pay no attention to me.

I"m a goddam computer veg..........but only now, not then.
Tell me though, where could you get music, both for listening and learning........for free, back in the days
Well, free once you pay for the computer. It's been a boon for learning.

Our kids are of the age where they made the transition from humans to computer geeks. Lot of ustas:
usta hunt
usta fish

but they camp and play music, and don't kill people, and are all gainfully employed.

winner.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My old man used to say " If you fall out of that f-cking treehouse and break both your legs, don't come running to me!"