Memorial Day Monday 25th, 2015

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Personally I'm going to try to get down to Billings, MT to spend the weekend with friends.. anyone else have some special plans for this long weekend??

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
. . . and the tone for the rest of the day is set. (that should have been your first post yesterday, as it is when you say 'oops' it isn't fare to back the bus up to run over you again.

Damn. I was hoping nobody'd ruin it by telling him.

Thanks, MHz.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Now let's see. I celebrate Victoria Day.. i solemnify Rembrance Day (Nov. 11).. I give thanks for blessings received on Thankgiving Day (2nd Monday in October).. but this 'Memorial Day' does not seem to be on my calendar.

Oh i see.. it was instituted by Abraham Lincoln to remember those lost on both sides of the American Civil War.. and since for Americans lost in their increasingly ill conceived foreign adventures since (especially after WW2).. so what does that have to do with us up here.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Now let's see. I celebrate Victoria Day.. i solemnify Rembrance Day (Nov. 11).. I give thanks for blessings received on Thankgiving Day (2nd Monday in October).. but this 'Memorial Day' does not seem to be on my calendar.

Oh i see.. it was instituted by Abraham Lincoln to remember those lost on both sides of the American Civil War.. and since for Americans lost in their increasingly ill conceived foreign adventures since (especially after WW2).. so what does that have to do with us up here.
As much as the United States Supreme Court's decisions on gay marriage have to do with you.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Eaglesmack, BaalsTears, Ludlow are US Citizens.. how about just being nice to the US members on CC..

I don't know, but Eagle has many, many time wished Canadians Happy Thanksgiving on our day, recognizing Canada's holiday..

No need to stick you nose in the air and think you're better than the Americans here.

Just Say'in. The US members bring a lot the forum, are smart and witty..

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

You are very cold aren't you . It is a solemn holiday to our closest neighbours , and deserves some respect .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You are very cold aren't you . It is a solemn holiday to our closest neighbours , and deserves some respect .

Somewhere around 50,000 Canadians served in (mostly) the Union Army. The vast majority were volunteers but many men were also shanghaied in border taverns in a scheme run by local US army enlistment units.

Anyway, the U.S. Civil War forced the Canadian federation into existence. That huge Army of the Potomac could just as easily have marched North as South (and the even discussed doing that very thing)

Mind you, the Army of the Potomac was so hapless that they may have been defeated by 800-900 Redcoats, just as they were the time before.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC

Good fences make good neighbours. No sense giving any encouragement to the latent aspiration of Manifest Destiny.. very much an integral part of America's founding conception of itself to this day.

Some of those memorialized would be those who crossed our borders to realize that in 1812. But in fairness we've fought as allies and in common causes since.

So in the spirit of one sovereign nation to another... respectful greetings to them as a solemn remembrance of their war dead on Memorial Day... (rather than a 'happy holiday')

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If that 'holiday' was based on ending wars then why was Korea fought less that a decade later. Is the memory supposed to inspire unending war, just more deaths on their side and few is any on 'the other side' is now the norm rather than wars ending period.