Canadians live under a dictatorship, according to some Americans

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Canadians live under a dictatorship, according to one-third of American eighth grader

We’ve suspected it for some time, but according to these latest findings we are confident that studying Canada isn't exactly an area of emphasis in elementary schools south of the border.

In the Nation’s Report Card, a study by the National Assessment of Education Progress (NAEP) aimed at assessing “what America’s students know and can do in various subject areas,” more than 29,000 Grade 8 students were asked a series of questions on subjects such as American history, civics and geography.

One multiple-choice question in the study asked what the current governments of Canada, Australia and France had in common.

Twenty-three percent of students chose the option, “They have leaders with absolute power.” Ten per cent believed the governments were controlled by the military, and 12 per cent believed “they discourage participation by citizens in public affairs.”

(To be fair, the majority answered correctly. Fifty-four per cent answered that the governments have “constitutions that limit their power.”)

Only 23 per cent of students were ranked at or above “proficient” in the civics category.

Kenneth Holland, a professor at Ball State University and the president of the Association for Canadian Studies in the United States, told the National Post that he believes these findings are indicative of a larger failure to educate young Americans about their neighbour to the north.

“Canada is a very important ally of the United States,” he said. “You can see that all over the world right now. Ukraine, Iraq, Syria: Canada is right there fighting alongside the United States.”

Unfortunately, our importance as an ally isn’t being taught well enough. And ignorance is to blame, Holland believes. Funding for a program titled “Understanding Canada,” which aimed to equip teachers around the world to better educate young minds about Canada, was cut altogether in 2012.

Holland isn’t worried that American teens think Canada is run by a dictatorship. He’s more concerned that American teens have no real idea about The Great White North at all.

“I think there’s a broader problem and that is that Americans know very little about Canada,” he said, adding that what little knowledge American teens have of Canada is limited to pop culture, Mounties and a vague understanding of Quebec separatism.

And it doesn’t get better with time, either. Apparently Harvard students can’t identify the capital of Canada.

Watch the 2013 video, surfaced this week by Huffington Post, below:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0fdYhgJIeE

and if you can’t teach ‘em, laugh at ‘em.

Rick Mercer finds the comedy in Americans’ ignorance about our nation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

source: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/young-americans-dont-know-canada-isnt-a-162202981.html

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Is Harper the worst prime minister in history?

“I think Harper… can be vindictive, certainly not always grateful for what people have done for him in the past… So you can say he’s ruthless, which is probably true… Maybe that’s a personal failing.”

– Tom Flanagan, former Harper adviser, campaign manager and University of Calgary political scientist

Is Harper the worst prime minister in history? | National Observer

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The kids are right. Canada is prostrate under the hob-nailed boot of Adolf Harper. Just ask the lefties.

And by American standards, ALL Canadians are lefties.

Besides, after you got the three Ms down (Mounties, moose, and maple syrup), what's there to know about Canada?

Is anyone truly free?
I'm free, but the maintenance costs are pretty steep.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
To be fair, the majority answered correctly. Fifty-four per cent answered that the governments have “constitutions that limit their power.”)

well there you have it. Given that the US education system has some major problems, at least over 50% of the students knew the correct answer

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2013-04-03/why-american-education-fails
U.S. schools still languish in the middle of international rankings, behind the schools of such countries as Estonia and Slovenia. And half a century after the end of official segregation, huge gaps continue to divide students by race and class, with the average black 12th grader scoring in reading at a level equivalent to the average white eighth grader on the National Assessment of Educational Progress, the most trusted long-term yardstick of U.S. school performance.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
yup, it's a mind set

Well you keep your mind set there. You are still not really free. Freer than some but still tied to much.
Freedom is only a mind set in the philosophical sense.
The machinations of politicians can only hinder our lifestyle.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
it is said that our government here in the states operates by the consent of the governed. In theory that's how it works they say. If you believe that, you might also believe that I sing and dance like a young tom jones.:).

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
it is said that our government here in the states operates by the consent of the governed. In theory that's how it works they say. If you believe that, you might also believe that I sing and dance like a young tom jones.:).
All governments operate by the consent of the governed. That's demonstrated by revolutions, violent (U.S., Ireland, France), peaceful (India, Eastern Europe), or negotiated (Canada, Australia).

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'm impressed that one-third of American eighth graders know that there is even a place called "Canada".

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Is Harper the worst prime minister in history?

“I think Harper… can be vindictive, certainly not always grateful for what people have done for him in the past… So you can say he’s ruthless, which is probably true… Maybe that’s a personal failing.”

– Tom Flanagan, former Harper adviser, campaign manager and University of Calgary political scientist

Is Harper the worst prime minister in history? | National Observer
You are to funny .The only long lasting Prime Minister in modern times who hasn't tried to redefine Canada in his image is the worst .
Hmmmn you should maybe pay attention to the lives and times of the prior PM'S . Free trade ( your all for that ) repatriating the constitution ( I know you love that ) how about my personal favorite the charter of rights and no responsibilities ( obviously your favorite ) .Of course no property right in that one .It's all the man ,sadly the one you vote for .

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You are to funny .The only long lasting Prime Minister in modern times who hasn't tried to redefine Canada in his image is the worst .
Hmmmn you should maybe pay attention to the lives and times of the prior PM'S . Free trade ( your all for that ) repatriating the constitution ( I know you love that ) how about my personal favorite the charter of rights and no responsibilities ( obviously your favorite ) .Of course no property right in that one .It's all the man ,sadly the one you vote for .
You don't know squat. Free trade was Mulberry's baby, Trudeau's constitution has never been approved by Quebec so is not really our constitution. He never brought to a referendum so has not been approved by the people.The charter is a flawed document that needs serious revision.
Your rose coloured glasses are getting foggy. Your hero is doing everything you said he isn't and you are too blinded by hero worship to see it.