Cuba has a Lung Cancer Vaccine

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
CimaVax was developed by government-run Molecular Immunology Center. It's not brand new, and Cuba has not kept its success a secret. Cuban researchers were testing the drug in the 1990s and major world media outlets have reported on it in the 2000s.

The center has also developed a second lung cancer drug called Racotumomab, which encourages the immune system to fight solid tumors.

There’s also potential for importing Cuban medicines treating other conditions.

One drug Heberprot-P helps treat diabetic foot ulcers. It’s used in 18 countries, and is undergoing trial in the European Union, but the embargo has kept it out of the US.

Cuba approves, makes available lung cancer vaccine | Reuters

Lung cancer vaccine 'extends terminal patients lives' - CNN.com

Officials at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute say they’ve penned a deal to that could lead to cancer breakthroughs in the U.S. thanks to a recent trip to Cuba with Governor Andrew Cuomo.

Cuomo was the first American Governor to visit the country since the president eased sanctions with the island nation.

Roswell Park Cancer Institute CEO and President, Dr. Candace Johnson told News 4 that the two-day event was very productive.

“There were a lot of people from different sectors there and I think everyone found it very encouraging. I think New York should be proud because we were the first state to go to Cuba,” Dr. Johnson said.

Due to the trip, Roswell Park now has a partnership with the Cuban Center for Molecular Immunology.

Johnson said they have a vaccine for lung cancer. She wants to do clinical trials on it in the U.S. to see if it can be administered to patients. For example, if someone has the early stages of lung cancer and has surgery to remove a nodule, Dr. Johnson said if the vaccine is approved, it may be able to help them.

“Those patients have a very high risk for reoccurrence. You have one nodule, you’ll maybe get another nodule. You could take perhaps this vaccine that could help prevent a reoccurrence,” she said.

First, Roswell needs FDA approval to start the trial.

Johnson believes it may not only prevent lung cancer growth, but the growth of other cancers as well.

“The growth factor causes it to grow. If you take the growth factor away, the cancer doesn’t grow. So this is an anti-growth factor vaccine,” Dr. Johnson said. “That’s unique. It’s not killing the tumor cell directly, It’s taking something the tumor cell needs to grow away. So it has less toxicity associated with it.”

Johnson says the Cuban Center has other vaccine’s that they’re interested in.

She adds that officials from the island nation will be traveling to Buffalo in the future to work on this new partnership.

Roswell Park Cancer Institute pens deal with Cuban center | wivb.com

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Roswell Park Cancer Institute CEO and President, Dr. Candace Johnson told News 4 that the two-day event was very productive.
“There were a lot of people from different sectors there and I think everyone found it very encouraging. I think New York should be proud because we were the first state to go to Cuba,” Dr. Johnson said.
Due to the trip, Roswell Park now has a partnership with the Cuban Center for Molecular Immunology.
a ray of hope for humanity, and I think that will be the key learning how to have the bodies immune system kick in upon first detection

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
so america has cuba on its states sponsors of terrorism list. cuba's exports doctors and usa's main exporter are guns.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
so america has cuba on its states sponsors of terrorism list. cuba's exports doctors and usa's main exporter are guns.

Go's to show why anyone would be stupid enough not to export weapons:) :) :).

The world is not run by who can save it. It's run by who has the ability to kill it ;)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
a ray of hope for humanity, and I think that will be the key learning how to have the bodies immune system kick in upon first detection
I'll bet you see a big jump in ozone therapy and phage medicine to combat the new strains that always come along. Each person could dial in the 02 level that suits their individual aliments so if you have to live in low quality air you have a way to eliminate the bad side effects in a way that doesn't break the bank as it is best applied at home with the machine it takes $25 to build from junkyard parts.