Oh THAT'S what happens when you don't vaccinate the kids

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Tara Hills, Ottawa mom, changes anti-vaccination stand, but 7 kids still get sick

Woman who 'defected' from anti-vaccination camp says 7 kids on antibiotics for whooping cough

CBC News Posted: Apr 08, 2015 7:14 PM ET Last Updated: Apr 09, 2015 11:16 AM ET

An Ottawa mother of seven "defected" from the anti-vaccination movement, but then her youngest — a 10-month-old son — contracted whooping cough before she could get all of her children their shots.
Tara Hills told CBC News that since all her children, aged 10 and under, were showing symptoms of the contagious disease, they have been advised to take antibiotics and stay inside their Kanata home for five days.
Her first three children were partially vaccinated, she said. But she decided to stop after the fourth was born because she was suspicious of the medical community.
"I just got scared. I got spooked. I thought, 'There's a lot of smoke, there must be fire.' We stopped vaccinating," she said.

Hills said she had recently started rethinking her position on vaccinations. Before her youngest was diagnosed with whooping cough, she said, she met with her family doctor to put together a "catch-up vaccination schedule" for her children.
"It's very sobering and it's very raw because we had just made a more fully informed decision about vaccinations. We had just defected from the anti-vaccination camp," she said.
"It was too late. It's so ironic and I'm not beating myself up for it. I just hope we can use this very painful experience to encourage other people like us to maybe re-examine the issue."

Whooping cough vaccine part of routine child shots

Ottawa Public Health confirmed that there are seven reported cases of whooping cough, also called pertussis, in Ottawa, including an infant. There are about 20 cases in Ottawa per year.
"The best way to protect children against pertussis is immunization," Ottawa Public Health told CBC News in an email statement.
"The pertussis vaccine is part of the routine childhood vaccine schedule, which is given at two months, four months, six months, and 18 months old, at four to six years and again at 14 to 16 years of age."
Hills decided to share her story in a parenting blog post called "Learning the Hard Way: My Journey from #AntiVaxx to Science."
"I am not looking forward to any gloating or shame as this 'defection' from the antivaxx camp goes public, but this isn't a popularity contest. Right now my family is living the consequences of misinformation and fear," she wrote.
"I understand that families in our community may be mad at us for putting their kids at risk. I want them to know that we tried our best to protect our kids when we were afraid of vaccination and we are doing our best now, for everyone's sake, by getting them up to date."

Tara Hills, Ottawa mom, changes anti-vaccination stand, but 7 kids still get sick - Ottawa - CBC News

"I just got scared. I got spooked. I thought, 'There's a lot of smoke, there must be fire.' We stopped vaccinating," she said.
Not surprising, one camp uses good old fashioned fear as a major selling point.

Hills said she had recently started rethinking her position on vaccinations. Before her youngest was diagnosed with whooping cough, she said, she met with her family doctor to put together a "catch-up vaccination schedule" for her children.
"It's very sobering and it's very raw because we had just made a more fully informed decision about vaccinations. We had just defected from the anti-vaccination camp," she said.
Imagine if folks became fully informed before they made decisions in the first place.

I don't mean to slag on her, good for her for stepping up and making public why she made a bad decision and what she's doing to correct it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
interesting

would be fascinating to hear what her former friends who are still anti-vaccination philosophy are saying about the fact that her kids are all sick...wonder how they are explaining/justifying their stand now

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
interesting

would be fascinating to hear what her former friends who are still anti-vaccination philosophy are saying about the fact that her kids are all sick...wonder how they are explaining/justifying their stand now

What I thought was interesting was her admittance that it was fear that drove her away, but becoming fully informed that brought her back. Very interesting.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
What I thought was interesting was her admittance that it was fear that drove her away, but becoming fully informed that brought her back. Very interesting.
it's actually quite remarkable that she is capable of that type of process, most chose a side and not much alters it other than death, so she is not "normal" that's for sure

and then to go public...that takes courage

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
As long as one of her children doesn't die from her negligence, this has been a valuable lesson.
yes I too was thinking she got off easily, I think she feels that way as well

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
At least she got the message, hope others do.

Will someone please tell me who started the rumor that these contagious diseases had been radicated? That was never the case, they were controlled by the vaccines.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
10,000 kids with polio or TB , and she's like...............oh vaccines is bad eh.

One of her own, or two. didn't read the stupid woman's reasons., and it's like...............Hey
FuKK!! There might be something to that science thing, eh.

Hope she dies of twat rot.................with an IV.

Sorry, but stupidity is boring.:angry2:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Aww you butthurt again?:. Must be all the sufferin you had when you took it up the *** as an alter boy.

No, you probably enjoyed it. 8O

never was an Alter Boy, since you seem so fixated on it, it appears you are jealous of what you didn't get. Is that it? Upset cause you weren't abused? Or is it that you were abused and haven't gotten over it? I will say this, your continued talk about young boys being sexually abused says more about where your sick mind is all the time than anything else.

With that in mind, I repeat:

Sorry, but stupidity is boring.:angry2:

Yup, I have that thought every time I read one of your posts.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
same problem we've had in Gopherland - kids that are not vaccinated get sick and make kids around them sick as well

sad that some children have to suffer for the decisions made by others

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
same problem we've had in Gopherland - kids that are not vaccinated get sick and make kids around them sick as well

sad that some children have to suffer for the decisions made by others
They'll be suffering for the decisions of others all their lives. Might as well get used to it.