Woman Held For 8 Days In Psych Ward For Saying Obama Follows Her On Twitter

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Woman Held For 8 Days In Psych Ward For Saying Obama Follows Her On Twitter…

A New York woman was locked up in the psychiatric ward of a Long Island hospital after claiming that President Barack Obama follows her on Twitter. But there’s only one problem… he actually does.

It all started last year when Kam Brock tried to get her car out of a New York Police Department impound site. When she walked in to the Public Service Area 6 NYPD station, she was upset, but by no means, her lawyer explains, “emotionally disturbed,” as the police claim.

The NYPD had her forcibly committed for a 72-hour psychiatric evaluation that soon turned into an 8-day ordeal.

Now, Brock is fighting back and suing the NYPD and the hospital for falsely imprisoning her.

She recounts, that “next thing you know, the police held onto me, the doctor stuck me with a needle and I was knocked out. I woke up to them taking off my underwear and then went out again. I woke up the next day in a hospital robe.”

She explains that the whole “Obama” comment was only brought up to try to explain “the type of person I am. I’m a good person, a positive person. Obama follows positive people.”

But the hospital actually made her discharge contingent upon her stating that this was a lie and denying that Obama follows her on Twitter.

The “master treatment plan” says that she must “state that Obama is not following her on Twitter” in order to be released. Strangely, no one at the hospital even bothered to check the Twitter account in question, which would have easily confirmed her claim.

To make matters worse, she was later billed $13,637.10 for her involuntary incarceration. She is demanding reimbursement for this, as well as an additional, unspecified amount in damages.

source: Woman Held For 8 Days In Psych Ward For Saying Obama Follows Her On Twitter… Even Though He Does

NOW THAT'S OBAMA's FAULT, for following her.. ;)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
To make matters worse, she was later billed $13,637.10 for her involuntary incarceration. She is demanding reimbursement for this, as well as an additional, unspecified amount in damages.

so she had to lie to get out and now they want to bill her....I don't think so

I see a lot of money flowing freely into her future days

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Missing from the article is what she said at the impound lot. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall for that one.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Missing from the article is what she said at the impound lot. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall for that one.
yes me too...wonder how much of a meltdown it was?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

There is far more not said about her actions then we know.

People don't get shuffled into the psyc ward for getting their car towed or saying that a politician follows their social media account.

Her law suit will fail miserably

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There is far more not said about her actions then we know.

People don't get shuffled into the psyc ward for getting their car towed or saying that a politician follows their social media account.

Her law suit will fail miserably
no necessarily, remember the millions for a scaled hand from a coffee cup...

they drugged her and confined her...that is one very big action

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

and considering what the requirement for her release was............. I'd be real surprised if she didn't come out golden on this. Obviously the comment about Obama was important to their "diagnosis".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
"Do you know who I am? Im going to tweet the Pres and you're going to lose your jobs, CIA will investigate you, IRS will audit blah blah blah"

Well Miss powerful, you can go #sand.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Don't know, the NYPD have been caught abusing psychiatric holds in the very recent past.

Even on their own people, like Adrian Schoolcraft

"Stories about people who have the right to remain silent... but choose not to exercise that right—including police officer Adrian Schoolcraft, who secretly recorded his supervisors telling officers to manipulate crime statistics and make illegal arrests."

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/414/right-to-remain-silent

Anyhow here is Kam Brock's twitter account

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

I believe that ruling and award was repealed

Assuming that there is much more to this story than we know of, there may have been justification... My knee jerk response is that everyone that heads to the impound lot is upset and angry, so this is not news here... That said, if the impound folks believed that this circumstance was far more severe, enough to call the cops, it is very reasonable to assume that this lady acted well beyond the norm.

On the psychology front, for all we know, she was invoking Obama in a manner that was not realistic and the decision made to sedate her and investigate the statements she made.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The law firm's press release is here: Press Release: Woman Falsely Arrested and Committed to a Mental Facility by the NYPD and Harlem Hospital Staff After Telling Them She Was a Banker and Was Followed on Twitter by the President

Essentially they impounded her car because they suspected her of drug use (though a search of the vehicle turned up nothing). The next day, she went to inquire about her car and they had no record of her being pulled or the impounded vehicle. Once she told them it was a BMW, they started demanding her age (she does look young for 32) and she started to get upset, so they handcuffed her and threw her in an ambulance, insisting that they were taking her to her car.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The law firm's press release is here: Press Release: Woman Falsely Arrested and Committed to a Mental Facility by the NYPD and Harlem Hospital Staff After Telling Them She Was a Banker and Was Followed on Twitter by the President

Essentially they impounded her car because they suspected her of drug use (though a search of the vehicle turned up nothing). The next day, she went to inquire about her car and they had no record of her being pulled or the impounded vehicle. Once she told them it was a BMW, they started demanding her age (she does look young for 32) and she started to get upset, so they handcuffed her and threw her in an ambulance, insisting that they were taking her to her car.
they are f*cked...at least I hope they are

I believe that ruling and award was repealed
no they had to pay her hospital bills and she never got the 3 mill I don't think but she did get over half a mill or more

Assuming that there is much more to this story than we know of, there may have been justification... My knee jerk response is that everyone that heads to the impound lot is upset and angry, so this is not news here... That said, if the impound folks believed that this circumstance was far more severe, enough to call the cops, it is very reasonable to assume that this lady acted well beyond the norm.
the Boomster just updated and by the sound of it....they are fried

they were way out of line

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I know.. It's terrible ain't it?.. All those honor students being hunted down and shot in cold blood even when they had their hands up in surrender.

I blame the white hispanics
Why don't you look him up? His name was John Crawford. They have video of the shooting on the internet.

Nah, don't bother. You want to believe that every black man who gets shot deserved it. Makes your world more comfortable. Wouldn't want to disturb that.

Just like you think this woman deserved everything that happened to her.

Pretty sad, but heck, whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Why don't you look him up? His name was John Crawford. They have video of the shooting on the internet.

Nah, don't bother. You want to believe that every black man who gets shot deserved it. Makes your world more comfortable. Wouldn't want to disturb that.

Just like you think this woman deserved everything that happened to her.

Pretty sad, but heck, whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable.

I don't think what the Capt is saying is that she deserved what she got. If I read him correctly, what he's saying is that since she isn't a white Christian male, he doesn't particularly care if she deserved it or not

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What she said in the impound yard is probably the same as what I once said many
years ago Turns out I was right too when I took the matter to court
By not checking her phone they are liable for not doing due diligence