SC Photographer Captures Mysterious Moon-Like Object

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
On Sunday, February 15th, photographer Stephanie Davenport was capturing some sky and landscape photos during the afternoon and early evening hours.

What she thought was the moon overhead in Taylors, South Carolina - was happily co-existing with the sun that day. However, as she examined her photos (see below), she noticed stationary lights on the object.

She reached out to the local news, which basically slapped it up online and on social media with a hands-off "see what you think this is" attitude. This, of course, elicited giggles, conspiracy theory accusations, and alien memes.

She even asked a relative who works at NASA for an explanation.

But first, here are her other photos (sources: Stephanie Davenport):

Davenport told Fox Carolina news:
I originally thought it was the moon, but when I zoomed in on my pictured it clearly wasn't. It is round and looked to have lights on it.​
She's right. Keep reading.

The dismissive response of her NASA relative:
I think those dots are just pixels in your camera CCD that are over exposed. They are too orderly to be sun spots. Nothing to get excited about.​
This explanation is unsatisfactory on multiple levels. Davenport says:
That doesn't make sense to me because the object was behind clouds in some pictures and behind tree branches in others and out in the open in others. I have no idea what it could be or if it really is the moon.​
Indeed, the most upper right photo shows a branch covering one of the lights. Why would "the pixels" be perfectly stationary on the object in every picture. Sun spots? On what object - this is not the moon...

What no one, including Mr. NASA, is pointing out, is that on Sunday, February 15th, the moon was in the Waning Crescent phase - barely a sliver.

There doesn't seem to be any weather or astronomical precedence to explain the object. And if so, why only in this particular area on this particular night?

It might interest you to know that on the Facebook post, other people offered their pictures, for which you can draw your own conclusions:

Perhaps you have seen them yourself.

At the very least, whatever it is, it's important to document these events to show that they happen, to allow others to show their documentation and to never let such events lapse into an apathetic attention deficit. Strange occurrences have a way of becoming a news blip one day, and disappearing down the memory hole the next.

Such was the case when documenting the 2012-2013 mysterious, loud booming and light phenomena that frightened unwitting residents in....South Carolina. (And New Jersey.)

Activist Post: SC Photographer Captures Mysterious Moon-Like Object

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
this post seems 6 weeks premature!

it must be aliens

or a projected hologram

oh! I know!

it's the hole in the ozone

a crop-circle harvester!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Only a Yank can take a photo of the Moon and then wonder what the hell it is.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I hope it's not a big surprise to you that no one reads all of your lengthy filibuster posts either.

(and that goes double for megawurdz)

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Only a brit can take a picture of a feral cat and claim it is a mountain lion or panther.

I've never done that, and I don't know anyone who has.

But it's much easier to confuse a cat for something else than it is to confuse the Moon for something else.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

What's the connection between photographs of Britain's big cat population and a rather ordinary, everyday photograph of the Moon? Because, for the life of me, I can't see it.

Only a Brit would mistake something else for the moon when it clearly wasn't. (The moon was only 17% that day.)

It was the Moon. You know? That big round thing in the sky about the same diameter as Australia that's about a quarter of a million miles away. It often appears in photographs of the night sky.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What she thought was the moon overhead in Taylors, South Carolina - was happily co-existing with the sun that day. However, as she examined her photos (see below), she noticed stationary lights on the object.

My wife pointed out that Taylors, SC is in the mountains. These are ocean shots. So location is wrong or these are somebody else's photos. If somebody else's photos the moon may or may not have been a different phase.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ta...1s0x88582c6fc3b969ff:0x67de7e323bbfc6fc?hl=en

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I can't see the other shore. It could be a great lake or something but there just isn't a body of water big enough in the area. Not to mention the area is in the mountains and I don't see any mountains or hills in the pictures.

It's the first 3 pics from one lady and the bottom two from others on FB. The one you're on about is from a girl in Myrtle Beach, that's why. Different geographical locations in SC of the same event.

It might interest you to know that on the Facebook post, other people offered their pictures, for which you can draw your own conclusions: