Vaccine-free daycare criticized by Ottawa Public Health

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Vaccine-free daycare criticized by Ottawa Public Health - Ottawa - CBC News

Measles - Vaccine-Preventable Diseases - Public Health Agency of Canada

Most people fully recover from measles within 2 to 3 weeks. But measles can sometimes cause dangerous problems, such as brain swelling (encephalitis) leading to seizures, hearing loss or even death. Since there is no cure, prevention is very important. The measles vaccine is a safe and effective way to prevent measles.
Mumps | Complications | CDC

Other rare complications include:

• Inflammation of the brain and/or tissue covering the brain and spinal cord (encephalitis/meningitis)
  • Inflammation of the ovaries (oophoritis) and/or breasts (mastitis) in females who have reached puberty
  • Deafness
WHO | Rubella (German Measles)

Congenital rubella syndrome is caused by infection in early pregnancy; from just before conception and during the first 8-10 weeks of gestation rubella infection may result in multiple fetal defects in up to 90% of cases, affecting many organs and often results in miscarriage or stillbirth. Infants with congenital rubella syndrome that survive may face serous developmental disabilities.
And these are just the relatively benign ones.

Polio Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

Polio is a contagious viral illness that in its most severe form causes paralysis, difficulty breathing and sometimes death.
So, by all means, segregate all the little unvaccinated darlings, then send them all back out in the world when they go shopping, to the park or where ever with Mommy & Daddy.

Yes, people are indeed entitled to their own opinions. They are not however entitled to their own facts.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
sometimes the word stupid doesn't even begin to cover it and this would be one of those cases...

they need to be shut down and refused school entry

are the parents vaccinated?

likely, they seemed to have lived through it, these kids may not

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is just another issue where the public disagrees with the science, like GMOs, aspartame or climate change.

We need better education on these topics of we are going to change at all.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
That's all well and good, Mr Floss, but what about the folks that INSIST on being ignorant and selfish ?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Well thankfully we are not as crazy as the U.S., but this is an issue that they won't win.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
This is just another issue where the public disagrees with the science, like GMOs, aspartame or climate change.

Perhaps it is perversions of science with GW that has lead to the scepticism of real science here.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

That's sure to set off a round of cognitive dissonance, except for maybe DB. He's consistent on this file. :lol:

I am just starting to get really fed up with the all the bull crap over this issue.

It's maddening!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We were all exposed to measles as kids. What is the big freaking deal now. Oh ya, we are in the bubble wrap generation.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Or it could be too many people remember how well Thalidomide and a few other wonder drugs turned out.
And that is part of the problem. We have all heard of and had experiences where science has concluded differently a few years down the road. It is not perfect. We are limited. Science is limited.

There are times however when we have to go with the majority even if we don't agree with it and the reason for that is because we are pack animals and we have chosen to live with the pack, benefit from the pack and society still operates on the pack principal; endanger the pack as a whole and it will turn on you.

This mentality anti vaccination of children endangers the whole pack.

For those who view this as a sheeple response, I can get behind your conclusion...it is a sheeple response but there comes a time when your going to have to choose if you want to be with the group you have to go with the group or cast yourself off.

We were all exposed to measles as kids. What is the big freaking deal now. Oh ya, we are in the bubble wrap generation.
We live in a much more crowded environment. We know better now. We didn't know it's potential to kill back then.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The more people decide to avoid vaccinating their children, the greater the chance those kids will be banned from school.

As far as I understand it, that is not on the table right now, but give this problem a few years to grow and we will see that idea become more prevalent.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The more people decide to avoid vaccinating their children, the greater the chance those kids will be banned from school.

As far as I understand it, that is not on the table right now, but give this problem a few years to grow and we will see that idea become more prevalent.
Well, being banned from school is not that much of a down side.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well, being banned from school is not that much of a down side.

while that is true and I believe our system to be broken I do not believe that your average person is capable of home schooling their child well enough to allow them to excel within the world.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
while that is true and I believe our system to be broken I do not believe that your average person is capable of home schooling their child well enough to allow them to excel within the world.
Neither is the school system.

I almost died at age 5 from polio vaccine. I have a natural aversion to being poisoned.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Neither is the school system.

I almost died at age 5 from polio vaccine. I have a natural aversion to being poisoned.

Anecdotal experience is not a good argument.

Vaccines are a necessary part of life and the fact that we are starting to see a resurgence of the problems of yesteryear is evidence that they do work.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Anecdotal experience is not a good argument.

Vaccines are a necessary part of life and the fact that we are starting to see a resurgence of the problems of yesteryear is evidence that they do work.
Funny how this resurgence began when they started pumping measles vaccine into kids.