Gluten free, usually a senseless fetish, more on the fad

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Here we go.

I sure am amazed how many people like to fuss about what they eat.

Like the people who are obsessed about fructose, which is converted during digestion.

Many anxious and nervous people worry over every loose stool or every abdominal twinge and they many times have irritable bowel problems created by their irritable brains. But why not look for some dietary magic and talk to your friends about it and obsess about it and worry the medical care system, the grocery store, your personal trainer, and every restaurant you go into, so you can demand that attention you need and deserve? What could make your life more meaningful than to fuss about what you’re eating or considering eating?

Ever wonder if someone like me can pick out the ones that will send dishes back, ask for their dressing on the side, complain about everything? Well I can smell em. They have a special way of being, treating waitresses, drawing attention to to themselves so I wanna kick em in their prissy little butt.

People who are obsessed control freaks also have a way of looking for medical care too-nothing is more precious to them than being the center of the known universe and making their medical problem a really important and complex thing. The personality disorder in effect is a combo of histrionic, borderline, and a sociopathic. Not nice people, exhausting to be around and cater to.

Gluten obsession is just one thing that helps control freaks get the upper hand, so they can feel better about their pathetic but many times short term effective effort to control the people around them. If you got a gluten issue, guess what, it can come up 3 times a day–maybe even more.

People with real gluten intolerance don’t enjoy it, it requires they avoid things they may like to eat. There is another group that really need to have things that they shouldn’t eat–or can obsess about.

Celiac Disease is the gluten intolerance thing, but it is a limited thing and gluten intolerance is not widespread enough to produce this fad. Companies that pander to the fetishist bunch like the fixated–kind of a variant of the people who have to buy their organic food and their food provided at the high-priced boutique grocery story–all these obsessions and fussiness result in a market for high-priced food that certainly might result in the benefit of our old friend the placebo effect. One thing for sure, it puts more money in the pocket of the people with the right public relations/advertising schtick.

Why should I condemn food fetishes maybe it’s just the thing people need to have that special feeling about themselves and the things they care about–themselves.

The great gluten-free scam - Telegraph

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The silver lining in all this is: If it weren't for the food fad fetishes those who suffer from real gluten intolerance would still have to pay $10 for a loaf of gluten free frozen bread (if they could find it) and there would be less then half the amount of gluten free products available to them.

so, for truly gluten intolerant people, the food fad fetish people have done them a great service.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
I am fine and can eat anything I want within reason but there are children born with the inability to tolerate many things. Celiac's is one such. I know of one young girl who nearly died before they discovered the problem. She is well & healthy.

On the other hand, there are many who follow gluten free, nut free and even lactose free living because it makes them feel better. The problem for me is two sisters were lactose and gluten intolerant and a brother-in-law and one sister who is diabetic. Having Sunday dinner is quite a feat believe me. BIL has become quite a chef and is constantly challenging me to come up with something special every second week. I am failing rather badly.

Last week I was treated to a whole menu of food from Bahrain from scratch, gluten free, lactose free and sugar free and it was delicious. How do I top that!!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
On the other hand, there are many who follow gluten free, nut free and even lactose free living because it makes them feel better.

I recently read an article about a new type of eating disorder called orthorexia that involves people restricting their diets to the point that their quality of life is negatively affected. I guess people are feeling the lack of control in many aspects of their lives and are seeking out ways to control whatever they possibly can.

The second “new disorder” is called orthorexia, where individuals form their eating habits around being overly concerned with healthy eating. Sufferers may limit their diets to the point that they are actually malnourished. Some professionals suspect that orthorexia may be a stepping stone to anorexia or bulimia.
More:
Orthorexia nervosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Here we go.

I sure am amazed how many people like to fuss about what they eat.

Like the people who are obsessed about fructose, which is converted during digestion.

Many anxious and nervous people worry over every loose stool or every abdominal twinge and they many times have irritable bowel problems created by their irritable brains. But why not look for some dietary magic and talk to your friends about it and obsess about it and worry the medical care system, the grocery store, your personal trainer, and every restaurant you go into, so you can demand that attention you need and deserve? What could make your life more meaningful than to fuss about what you’re eating or considering eating?

Ever wonder if someone like me can pick out the ones that will send dishes back, ask for their dressing on the side, complain about everything? Well I can smell em. They have a special way of being, treating waitresses, drawing attention to to themselves so I wanna kick em in their prissy little butt.

People who are obsessed control freaks also have a way of looking for medical care too-nothing is more precious to them than being the center of the known universe and making their medical problem a really important and complex thing. The personality disorder in effect is a combo of histrionic, borderline, and a sociopathic. Not nice people, exhausting to be around and cater to.

Gluten obsession is just one thing that helps control freaks get the upper hand, so they can feel better about their pathetic but many times short term effective effort to control the people around them. If you got a gluten issue, guess what, it can come up 3 times a day–maybe even more.

People with real gluten intolerance don’t enjoy it, it requires they avoid things they may like to eat. There is another group that really need to have things that they shouldn’t eat–or can obsess about.

Celiac Disease is the gluten intolerance thing, but it is a limited thing and gluten intolerance is not widespread enough to produce this fad. Companies that pander to the fetishist bunch like the fixated–kind of a variant of the people who have to buy their organic food and their food provided at the high-priced boutique grocery story–all these obsessions and fussiness result in a market for high-priced food that certainly might result in the benefit of our old friend the placebo effect. One thing for sure, it puts more money in the pocket of the people with the right public relations/advertising schtick.

Why should I condemn food fetishes maybe it’s just the thing people need to have that special feeling about themselves and the things they care about–themselves.

The great gluten-free scam - Telegraph
It's easy to pick them. They don't carry an additional 50 to 300 lbs.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Judging from the size of people these days not to many are into gluten free.........

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The silver lining in all this is: If it weren't for the food fad fetishes those who suffer from real gluten intolerance would still have to pay $10 for a loaf of gluten free frozen bread (if they could find it) and there would be less then half the amount of gluten free products available to them.

so, for truly gluten intolerant people, the food fad fetish people have done them a great service.

Good point - but it hasn't gone far enough as far as I'm concerned. Those awful prices need to go downward.

For dinner tonight I am having rice spaghetti because of my gluten intolerance. Now I certainly cannot speak for anyone else. But trust me, the gluten intolerance condition is very real. How I wish I had adopted the GF diet 40 years ago as my health would have been so much better over those years.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Good point - but it hasn't gone far enough as far as I'm concerned. Those awful prices need to go downward.

That difference in cost between gluten free and not gluten free is price for being special. Sometimes that cost is in the name brand of the product. In this case it's in being a "specialty" product.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
In this age it certainly is a niche fad to question the contents of any old crap that comes off a commercial grill. The public standard is to fill pie holes with just about anything, no questions asked.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

My wife makes all her own with non gluten grains and no yeast.