Medicine man's alleged sexual abuse haunts reservation

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Allegations of child sex abuse are complicated by a legal maze in Indian country

He was a world-famous medicine man, a traditional healer and spiritual leader. Followers would travel long distances to this tiny hamlet on the Great Plains to be in his presence and pray in the darkness with him in a sacred sweat lodge.

But Charles Chipps Sr., a medicine man on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation, had a dark secret, federal prosecutors say.

For years, they allege, Chipps sexually abused and raped girls, including some of his own daughters and granddaughters; many of the alleged victims were younger than 12 and several were as young as 5. A girl from Colorado whose aunt brought her to meet Chipps for spiritual guidance committed suicide after revealing the abuse she allegedly suffered.

The sexual abuse of children has long been regarded as a rampant if largely unspoken problem on Native American reservations, in part a legacy of a boarding school system that was designed to assimilate students and subjected them to widespread sexual, emotional and physical abuse, according to Native leaders and prosecutors. But Chipps’s case, as described in court testimony, is among the most shocking — entailing allegations that a respected elder sexually abused at least six girls.

It is also an illustration of the ways in which the federal, state and tribal legal maze that governs Indian country can complicate the pursuit of justice and, in Chipps’s case, allowed him to go free for three years after he was first jailed.

more

A man of healing, a saga of suffering | The Washington Post

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The U.S. attorney for South Dakota, Brendan V. Johnson, said that sexual violence is one of the most common criminal offenses on the nine reservations where he shares criminal jurisdiction with the tribes, but it is extremely difficult to bring charges.
“Victims are placed under tremendous pressure by family members and friends to recant their stories,” said Johnson, who declined to discuss details of the Chipps case. “The complaint will come in, the victims will be forensically interviewed and will provide us with specific facts about what happened and then, months later, will recant their stories.”
the women have to band together to help themselves and their children, the men who love them will follow...when they get accused of being man hating hysterical feminists, then they have made it...then the pendulum can return to the middle where it should be

no child is safe until adults make it so

this is a result of isolating people from the world...any group

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
a rampant if largely unspoken problem on Native American reservations, in part a legacy of a boarding school system that was designed to assimilate students and subjected them to widespread sexual, emotional and physical abuse
That is 100% pure bullsh¡t. It's pathetic.

Nope. Don't be ridiculous. It's always someone else to blame. F-ck that noise. There are no excuses.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Nope. Don't be ridiculous. It's always someone else to blame. F-ck that noise. There are no excuses.
how is that blaming anyone else or an excuse?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is always an excuses when the blame falls squarely on the perpetrators shoulders.

Itsh dat f-ckin' whitie making ush do dat ah.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Racism. And Petros' racism is rather obvious. As far as this case goes, there is much more going on than meets the eye. He should be dealt with with extreme prejudice. All child abusers should. But a Catholic like Petros, spewing his hatred in this case seems to be a deflection from the crimes his church has perpetrated, not only on native children, but children of many other ethnic groups as well.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Bullsh¡t coming from the guy suffering an identity crisis. Is that why you can write a book but are too gimped to work? Whitie made you lazy and useless?

Catholocism? I'd feel the same way if I were a dirt worshipper.

Protestants out schooled the Catholics ya stupid f-ck.

It's always somebody else's fault right Cliffy.

It's our fault Native men don't have a clue about how to be a man.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Hurling insults is all you have Pete. Where was your outrage when your church was covering up and hiding all those pedophile priests in the Vatican?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hurling insults is all you have Pete. Where was your outrage when your church was covering up and hiding all those pedophile priests in the Vatican?

Is that why Catholic clergy abuse is at half the rate of public or are you spewing unsubstantiated hate again?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Racism. And Petros' racism is rather obvious. As far as this case goes, there is much more going on than meets the eye. He should be dealt with with extreme prejudice. All child abusers should. But a Catholic like Petros, spewing his hatred in this case seems to be a deflection from the crimes his church has perpetrated, not only on native children, but children of many other ethnic groups as well.

Interesting Cliffy... You go on about labeling Petros racist yet in one simple sentence, you brand an entire group and represent the 'racist' label that you (apparently) despise.

In terms of the pedo in the OP; that individual made their decision(s) and no amount of blame, diversion or set of excuses will change the fact that he knowingly did what he did

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Quote:
a rampant if largely unspoken problem on Native American reservations, in part a legacy of a boarding school system that was designed to assimilate students and subjected them to widespread sexual, emotional and physical abuse

Quote: Originally Posted by Sal

That is how the social workers see it. And I do know that sexual abuse of children on coastal rezs is far higher than in the rest of the population.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Interesting Cliffy... You go on about labeling Petros racist yet in one simple sentence, you brand an entire group and represent the 'racist' label that you (apparently) despise.

In terms of the pedo in the OP; that individual made their decision(s) and no amount of blame, diversion or set of excuses will change the fact that he knowingly did what he did
I have no problem with whacking this pedo as hard as can be and I said so already. But Petros little emotional tirade shows I hit a nerve. And pointing out the Catholic cover ups is not racist by any stretch of the imagination. But then, I expect deflection from you.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Quote:

Quote: Originally Posted by Sal

That is how the social workers see it. And I do know that sexual abuse of children on coastal rezs is far higher than in the rest of the population.
yes

it's apparently also high within the Mennonite community...any form of isolation and therefore accountability can lead to behaviour al problems and the group will close itself further when confronted

it's frustrating for law authorities when groups are protected as he is here

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I have no problem with whacking this pedo as hard as can be and I said so already. But Petros little emotional tirade shows I hit a nerve. And pointing out the Catholic cover ups is not racist by any stretch of the imagination. But then, I expect deflection from you.

Good one Cliff.

In the end, you have a hard on for anything related to religion.

Like Petros said, the rates of abuse in the Church are 1/2 that of society, but you can't see that as it undermines your preconceived notions of what oughta be... I notice that you steer as far away as possible from talking about violence, child abuse, crime, wanton destruction of nature, etc when it focuses on FNs.... Doesn't square with your ideal of the 'Keepers of the Earth and Protectors of Gaia'

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Riiiiiight. It's Catholics fault you never matured into a self respecting man. Not you. Oh no. Somebody else made you useless and sitting on your *** with you hand out demanding money from men who are men.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Cliffy has always been a hypocrite.

Bullsh¡t coming from the guy suffering an identity crisis. Is that why you can write a book but are too gimped to work? Whitie made you lazy and useless?

I wonder if he worked in his past life as a Cree?