The Greatest Speech Ever Made:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
'fight for liberty'...good idea.

Anyway, I rather prefer Gunnery Sergeant Hartman's welcome speech but to each their own.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
A man of a few words is better.............

I listened to that one.

The Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863

You can read the same speech back in time five thousand years or more. "Shall not perish from this earth." That's always the impossible bit. Well they are perishing now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Turning once again, and this time more generally, to the question of invasion, I would observe that there has never been a period in all these long centuries of which we boast when an absolute guarantee against invasion, still less against serious raids, could have been given to our people. In the days of Napoleon, of which I was speaking just now, the same wind which would have carried his transports across the Channel might have driven away the blockading fleet. There was always the chance, and it is that chance which has excited and befooled the imaginations of many Continental tyrants. Many are the tales that are told. We are assured that novel methods will be adopted, and when we see the originality of malice, the ingenuity of aggression, which our enemy displays, we may certainly prepare ourselves for every kind of novel stratagem and every kind of brutal and treacherous manœuvre. I think that no idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered and viewed with a searching, but at the same time, I hope, with a steady eye. We must never forget the solid assurances of sea power and those which belong to air power if it can be locally exercised.
I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once more able to defend our island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government – every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation. The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.
Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

- Sir Winston Churchill to the House of Commons, 4th June 1940, when Britain was the only power taking on Nazi Germany

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
- Sir Winston Churchill to the House of Commons, 4th June 1940, when Britain was the only power taking on Nazi Germany
A raving imperialist raging against another. And thanks to Britain's narcissism, arrogance and self righteousness, they not only trashed Europe, but lost their empire in the rubble.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
In no particular order

We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender

Winston Churchill
June 4, 1940

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.
And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today!
I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.
I have a dream today!
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

Martin Luther King Jr.
August 28, 1963

We should remember it is not only the words that make a speech great, but also the timing, the speaker, and the delivery.

Last edited:

nimrod

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2015
Great speeches no doubt but words are just words-many times they are not really meant.Did Chaplin write that speech?
When the sound of trumpets fade-what is left?
The greatest speeches in the world are not given -they are lived! They say even the devil can quote scripture to suit his own ends.Indeed wasn't that one of Hitler's greatest skills.He thrilled his country with his remarkable speeches.We may not like to hear it but we are no smarter today.
It is the one constant touchstone i rely on with all the media spin today.What has this person got to lose for this? What are they risking?
A contemporary example is Hirsan Ali.Millions of Muslims are looking to discredit and murder her.Lots have bad things to say.Who to believe?
I remember the first time radical Islam was pushed into my memory .Salman Rushdie had to go into hiding for writing Satanic Verses. Hirsan ALI is risking her life -so my compass points in her direction.

Mother Teresa was criticized for accepting money for the poor from "shady people' and after a lifetime of service to the unwashed masses posthumously criticized as a hypocrite .Why?-in her letters (she didn't want published)saintly lady admitted that she had not felt the presence(lost her faith ) for many years.She famously said "listen quietly to the criticism and go about your work.
Gandhi was wrongly jailed for years many times,had no wealth or possessions,ate plain vegetarian food and fasted to near death for moral causes.They tried 5 times to assassinate him before he took 3 bullets in the chest going to pray and yet Bapu always preached non-violence.Humble as the dust-he had physical courage like a lion as well a moral integrity.
He was criticized by many even after his death.
Yet there are many out there who have written that Hitler had "just gone a little bit too far".
Spare me the great speeches-give me the leader who for or against evil who lives his words.

Quick PS Martin Luther is right up there too.Who has the cojones to stand up and speak in a crowded room waiting for that bullet you know is coming?Our laws should say all our leaders and cabinets should go fight in the front line with the troops.Then and only then would i believe war is necessary.

oops-i meant a leader who for or against war lives his words.(although it would be refreshing to have some clearly tell us he was for evil)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Houses are built for you to hold councils in. Indians hold theirs in the open air. I am a Shawnee. My forefathers were warriors. Their son is a warrior. From them I take my only existence. From my tribe I take nothing. I have made myself what I am. And I would that I could make the red people as great as the conceptions of my own mind, when I think of the Great Spirit that rules over us all. I would not then come to Governor Harrison to ask him to tear up the treaty [the 1795 Treaty of Greenville, which gave the United States parts of the Northwest Territory].
But I would say to him, "Brother, you have the liberty to return to your own country." You wish to prevent the Indians from doing as we wish them, to unite and let them consider their lands as a common property of the whole. You take the tribes aside and advise them not to come into this measure. You want by your distinctions of Indian tribes, in allotting to each a particular, to make them war with each other. You never see an Indian endeavor to make the white people do this. You are continually driving the red people, when at last you will drive them into the great lake [Lake Michigan], where they can neither stand nor work.
Since my residence at Tippecanoe, we have endeavored to level all distinctions, to destroy village chiefs, by whom all mischiefs are done. It is they who sell their land to the Americans. Brother, this land that was sold, and the goods that was [sic] given for it, was only done by a few. In the future we are prepared to punish those who propose to sell land to the Americans. If you continue to purchase them, it will make war among the different tribes, and, at last I do not know what will be the consequences among the white people.
Brother, I wish you would take pity on the red people and do as I have requested. If you will not give up the land and do cross the boundary of our present settlement, it will be vary hard and produce great trouble between us.
The way, the only way to stop this evil, is for the red people to unite in claiming a common and equal right in the land, as it was at first, and should be now -- for it was never divided, but belongs to all.
No tribe has the right to sell, even to each other, much less to strangers.
Sell a country?! Why not sell the air, the great sea, as well as the earth? Did not the Great Spirit make them all for the use of his children?
How can we have confidence in the white people? We have good and just reasons to believe we have ample grounds to accuse the Americans of injustice, especially when such great acts of injustice have been committed by them upon our race, of which they seem to have no manner of regard, or even to reflect. *When Jesus Christ came upon the earth you killed him and nailed him to the cross. You thought he was dead, and you were mistaken. You have the Shakers among you, and you laugh and make light of their worship.* Everything I have told you is the truth. The Great Spirit has inspired me.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
A raving imperialist raging against another. And thanks to Britain's narcissism, arrogance and self righteousness, they not only trashed Europe, but lost their empire in the rubble.

Better he had said naught, curled up in the fetal position, hid under his bed, called off the RAF and let the NAZIs invade?

He had it coming to him, didn't he that pig-dog lackey of the Imperialists? Just think what a better world this would be if he had failed. Europe would be "Happy Land" right now if the British hadn't trashed it, eh?