Why Should Anyone "Respect" the Law?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

By Max Read / gawker.com In the wake of the announcement that Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson would not be indicted for shooting and killing Mike Brown, protestors across the country took to the streets in mass acts of civil disobedience, and in some cases, property damage.
And so, yesterday, following a New York grand jury's failure to indict New York City police officer Daniel Pantaleo for choking 43-year-old Eric Garner to death in July, Governor Andrew Cuomo issued a statement. "[W]hile there will be people who disagree with today's grand jury decision," it read, "it is important that we respect the legal process and rule of law."
He did not explain why.

Why Should Anyone "Respect" the Law?

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Putting the two incidents together work well for the media Cliffy, because they are not the defenders of justice they claim to be, how about you?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The left only defends the law when it suits them. Otherwise protesters would go home when ordered by the court. But since they are plainly above mere mortal law they interrupt people legally earning a living.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The left only defends the law when it suits them. Otherwise protesters would go home when ordered by the court. But since they are plainly above mere mortal law they interrupt people legally earning a living.

It's not the right/left issue. There are people on both sides of the political spectrum that thumb their nose of the law. The real issue is that the law is not being applied fairly and there are many reasons for that

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Always question the motives of those in authority............

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I hope you can see the bigger picture here....while you have a problem with the left, I have a problem with the right and here's why in this forum anyway, not in the American forum where they seem to have people all across the continuum and it sounds way more balanced.

The right in here at least are beginning to sound like whack jobs to people like me in the middle. Some people in here with this cop thing at least are leaning further and further to the right. The right want their guns and god in case the government attacks so they can defend themselves...do you have any idea how f*cked that sounds to your average person who leans slightly left? They support the police no matter how wrong or brutal to others BUT when the police come for them, they are gonna shoot them.

Yeah that sounds like a plan.

In here from what I can see it's all about guns, and god, and freedom of speech and right to protest, UNTIL it's someone who disagrees with their version...THEN....f*cking shut those puppies down fast even try to drive them from the forum...band together and smash them.

Help me understand this because I actually think you think more deeply than some of the sheep.

It's not the right/left issue. There are people on both sides of the political spectrum that thumb their nose of the law. The real issue is that the law is not being applied fairly and there are many reasons for that
you got that right...it's just all about them and those perceived to be the same as them

dead on with the last sentence:wav:

Always question the motives of those in authority............
EXACTLY

unless of course they think just like you in the moment...then let them run rough shod over those mofo's who are different than you....no need to think, just react and castigate.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
All those who think they are in the middle of the road, should look at themselves how others see them!
and all those to the right, should examine their heart

it's shrinking by the day

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
All those who think they are in the middle of the road, should look at themselves how others see them!

All those who think they are in a position of judgement should think again - if only to get the idea that worrying of what others think matters most to they who have poor respect for themselves

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yup......
"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."
lmfao

if you are going to attempt to insult me at least get the f*cking quote right

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
In the case of Ferguson, Michael Brown got himself killed. In the case of the civil disobedience [sic] criminal hooliganism I absolutely agree. If we are not going prosecute such acts and apply two standards of justice based on race, why should anyone respect the law.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
According to some on this board, If you do not support the Police in all of these cases, there is something wrong with your thinking.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
According to some on this board, If you do not support the Police in all of these cases, there is something wrong with your thinking.

I don't. I look at case by case, but that is not enough for others. I am just tired of the hysteria, there is no epidemic of brutality. There is an epidemic of hysteria.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Check into how many Police Depts. in the States were investigated and found to be violating many laws.
Cleveland police use excessive force: U.S. Justice Department | Reuters

(Reuters) - The Cleveland Police Department systematically engages in excessive use of force against civilians, Attorney General Eric Holder said on Thursday an investigation by the U.S. Justice Department has found.

The investigation began in March 2013, and it carries added weight after an incident in November when a Cleveland police officer shot dead a 12-year-old boy who was carrying what turned out to be a replica gun that typically fires plastic pellets.

Holder was scheduled to meet with police, community leaders and elected officials in Cleveland on Thursday to begin discussing reform measures. Previous reforms have included installing a federal monitor to oversee the department.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

The left-wingers think I'm too far right and the right-wingers think I'm a lefty. What does that prove? Ideologues are idiots.