'Suicide watch' app pulled

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Suicide watch' app pulled
WENN.com
First posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 09:03 AM EST | Updated: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 09:18 AM EST
The Samaritans charity have pulled a "suicide" app which was supposed to detect when people feel suicidal on Twitter.com. The app aimed to find distress words however people pointed out that it could make mentally vulnerable people feel more scared.
“We have made the decision to suspend the application at this time for further consideration," Joe Ferns, the charity’s policy director, said in a statement. "Our primary concern is for anyone who may be struggling to cope, including those with mental health conditions."
"We are very aware that the range of information and opinion, which is circulating about Samaritans Radar, has created concern and worry for some people and would like to apologize to anyone who has inadvertently been caused any distress. This was not our intention.”
Launched last month, the Samaritans Radar app analyzed Twitter accounts for phrases like "tired of being alone," "hate myself," "depressed," "help me" and "need someone to talk to.”
"While this could be used legitimately by a friend to offer help, it also gives stalkers and bullies and opportunity to increase their levels of abuse at a time when their targets are especially down," a petition calling for Radar's closure read. "Just as bad, not everyone apparently wanting to help may be able to do so effectively or has the person's best interests at heart.”
'Suicide watch' app pulled | News | Tech | Toronto Sun

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not surprised this thing didnt work if those are the sorts of phrases they looked for.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Suicidal cross everyone's mind occasionally. Thinking, it would be easier to die than go through this. But most never do it. People considered methods as well. I think as humans we naturally try to find any escape route. They are a sign of unbearable pain: emotional and psychological.

Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology
Having thoughts of suicide, unfortunately, is somewhat common, but it is not normal and is the brain’s warning signal to get help now! Suicide is the second leading cause of death for teenagers (car accidents being first). If you are having thoughts of self-harm or considering killing yourself, or even just wishing that you didn’t exist, seek help from a mental health professional immediately--be it a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, or counselor--to help you develop stress management strategies and to see if you could benefit from medication. (Of the four types, only a psychiatrist, an MD, can prescribe psychoactive medications.)