How about we just stop wearing those damn poppies

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I will no longer allow my obligation as a veteran to remember those who died in the great wars to be co-opted by current or former politicians to justify our folly in Iraq, our morally dubious war on terror and our elimination of one's right to privacy.

This year, I will wear a poppy for the last time | Harry Leslie Smith | Comment is free | The Guardian

Silly. "Politicians are a bunch of phonies" is hardly a newsflash, nor a a reason to stop honoring people who died for our country.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The remembrance poppies worn in England & Wales and in Northern Ireland are different from those worn in Canada. Ours (the Royal British Legion ones) also each have a green leaf.

English, Welsh, Northern Irish remembrance poppy, the one I'm wearing

The ones worn in Scotland are also different to those worn in the rest of the UK and also Canada, but they are more similar to the Canadian ones, without the leaf and a different shape:

Scottish remembrance poppy

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
;-).......Aye.......I be wearin the plastic, Scottish, poppy which sticks to yer shirt, or car window, or yer forehead........Won't rot, stick ya, fall off, and ye caen shove it in a drawer and wear it next year..........Save a pound er two Angus. It's the tiny wee things that add up.

As well as the one which I keep sticking in my godam finger, actually do have one which suction cups to the car window........it gets replaced every 10 years or so, whether it needs to be or not.
Have a drawer full of poppies. I would feel rotten throwing one away. Guilty. Like throwing away pictures of ones first dog.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
By the way, that Guardian article doesn't surprise me. That's the same Left-wing newspaper, which I wouldn't even use as bog roll, which just last week disgracefully attacked the popular exhibition at the Tower of London, where there are 888,246 ceramic poppies being planted in the moat, each representing a British military death in WWI. It's turned out to be remarkably popular. Around 5 million people are expected to turn out to see it, with the last poppy being ceremonially planted on Remembrance Sunday. It's so popular that the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, is now calling for the exhibition to be a permanent one rather than a temporary one. Yet, of course, the Guardian newspaper doesn't like it, calling it "inward-looking" and a "Ukip-style memorial." And then the newspaper wonders why it has a low and declining readership. The Guardian is a Left-wing disgrace.

The scale is best appreciated from on high. Here, the red moat of the Tower of London is pictured from the top of the Shard

The artwork was put together with the help of the stage designer Tom Piper, who said he had wanted to create a "fluid and organic feel to it, you could see it as blood, water or life force".

Pearly King of Bow Bells, Harry Mayhead, who served in Egypt and France for the Royal Army Service Corps in World War Two, helped to plant the poppies

Chelsea Pensioner Albert Willis (left), Yeoman Warder Paul Cunilffe (centre) and Grenadier Guard Capt Joe Robinson, representing three generations of military service, pose for photographers.

The Royal British Legion has said it hopes the sale of the ceramic poppies will raise in excess of £15m, and charities benefiting from the sale have been told by Chancellor George Osborne that he will waive the VAT from the sale.

Despite calls by London Mayor Boris Johnson to extend the installation, Historic Royal Palaces said it was always the intention to begin sending the poppies - which have been sold for charity - to their new owners after Armistice Day.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"Chelsea Pensioner Albert Willis (left), Yeoman Warder Paul Cunilffe (centre) and Grenadier Guard Capt Joe Robinson, representing three generations of military service, pose for photographers."

..........CAUGHT.........with their hands in the poppy jar......:lol:(looks like)

Nice post Blackleaf.