Jian Ghomeshi interviews Ayaan Hirsi Ali 2010

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
heh heh

Do come back!

[slips her his number]

all the while thinking how he'd like to bash her pointy little cheeks in

I really liked him as an interviewer. Knowing his proclivities sure casts a different light on his interviews now. You can almost get a sense of him angling for answers.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
heh heh

Do come back!

[slips her his number]

all the while thinking how he'd like to bash her pointy little cheeks in

I really liked him as an interviewer. Knowing his proclivities sure casts a different light on his interviews now. You can almost get a sense of him angling for answers.

Yeah.

It might be my imagination, but I see Ghomeshi wanting to be condescending to her......but that is simply not possible. She is WAY too sharp, and capable of directing the conversation.

I did catch her crossed arms at one point.

Did you see the one with her and Avi Lewis?? Too funny. At one point you can read her mind... "Are you ever an idiot!" :)

On The Map with Avi Lewis: Ayaan Hirsi Ali & Islamophobia - YouTube

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah.

It might be my imagination, but I see Ghomeshi wanting to be condescending to her......but that is simply not possible. She is WAY too sharp, and capable of directing the conversation.

I did catch her crossed arms at one point.

Did you see the one with her and Avi Lewis?? Too funny. At one point you can read her mind... "Are you ever an idiot!" :)

On The Map with Avi Lewis: Ayaan Hirsi Ali & Islamophobia - YouTube

I like when she says, you were born under freedom, so you can spit on freedom, I was not so I know the value of freedom. Many immigrants say that, until one is not free, one does not know what freedom is.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"Tolerance of intolerance, is cowardice."

Kind of makes you think about what gives with the progressives defence of Islam.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I am going to be doing some more digging on her. She fascinates me.

She is a fascinating individual. It's been a while, but I remember doing some reading about her a few years back.

"Tolerance of intolerance, is cowardice."

Kind of makes you think about what gives with the progressives defence of Islam.

That is sort of the same, in my view, but really what you're talking about is someone who can clearly and easily see the flaws in others but absolutely cannot see them in themselves. It's a really unbalanced viewpoint.

Tolerating intolerance is not wanting to get involved, at least, that's what those words mean to me. Like the stereotypical inner city inhabitant who turns a blind eye to crime because they don't want to get involved, for example. They're tolerating the intolerable and it does make them cowards.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Will be looking for her books during my next trip to the library - what an inspiration. This was the first time I ever watched or heard JQ and could not help but think that he was completely blown out of the water by this young woman. While he fumbled with his questions, she calmly articulated her ideas in a succinct and comprehensible manner.

Thanks for the video, Colpy - may never have heard of Ayaan Hirsi Ali otherwise.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Has anyone noticed that Somalis are a good looking group of people generally? I think it may be due to the mixture of African and Austronesian characteristics.

Absolutely, I think generally speaking they are the most beautiful women in the world...perfect skin colour, lean body mass, high cheek bones, angular features, big eyes.

I was thinking when she was speaking, here sits a woman who is multi=lingual who has survived experiences I don't even want to think about.

I am fascinated on her take because I was all tolerant of the Burka etc thinking how enlightened I was until I hired a Muslim manager years ago. She was from Libya and we became friends. She soon got my head on straight and I have never looked back.

Her two books are Infidel and Nomad. Both worth the read.

She is married to the famous Harvard historian Niall Ferguson.

Thanks Colpy. I look forward to reading more about her and her story.

The first Somalian woman I saw interviewed was Waris Dirie many, many years ago. Her story captivated me and opened me up to the whole struggle of women in third world countries. She was so open about her horrendous experiences. She escaped her tribe when she was just a young girl, they wanted to marry her off to some old man. She decided she would rather die in the desert so off she went all alone. And she made it.

At the time I first saw her it was not so easy to acquire info but she is a woman I never forgot.

She is a fascinating individual. It's been a while, but I remember doing some reading about her a few years back.

I'm sure it will be a hard read because these women endure so much, but I am certain it will be worth it.

Thanks for the video, Colpy - may never have heard of Ayaan Hirsi Ali otherwise.

I'll second that.