Women prefer men as bosses

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I prefer a male boss. As with most men, I don't like being told what to do by a woman.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
So, not liking being told what to do by the other sex is wrong for women, and right for men? KTHXBAI.

No. It seems that the opposite is true.

If you're a woman who doesn't like being told what to do by men, you're a "strong woman."

If you're a man who doesn't like being told what to do by women, you're a "sexist pig."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Don't have PC sensibilities

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Had both kinds as an employee and prefer male bosses by far. Found women to be too unpredictable.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I've had both. And I've experienced good and bad on both sides. A lot of places are set up in a manner which makes it easier for a male to climb, thus you are going to get a harder edged female in such places because she has had to be in order to make her way there.

As long as the boss is able to keep things fair and balanced it doesn't much matter. If a female is always having to watch her own back it might put further stress on her team. For sure that plays a part.

One of my bosses was tight with the "old boys club" thus he didn't have to watch his own azz so much...they all watched out for each other. He could relax, if one of the club f*cked up, someone had their back. For instance, he gave another member all of his notes on a particular project they had all had to do on their own hours and hours of work. No hesitation. He was easy to work for and I got to do projects way out of my job description or level because no one was going to tell him, she shouldn't be doing that. He would expect me to stay late to accommodate his schedule without telling me, so at a moments notice. He would also send me home quite early and as he put it...if you need an afternoon here or there...I'll cover for you. And he did. He got a lot of work out of me. Best boss I ever had. Just don't make him look bad.

Within the same work place...haven't had a woman yet with that give and take. It may happen....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That seems the norm. Women are their own worst enemy when it comes to bosses. Actually they're their own worst enemy in a lot of situations. I've read a number of times about how female nurses prefer answering to male doctors over female doctors.

Me... I could care less! I like my Asst. Director who is a woman. I am going to miss her a lot when she retires. A few of our VPs were women and they were great too.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
This reminds me of my experience as a softball coach - most players much prefer male coaches. Female coaches treat their players like sisters and this often leads to alliances and rivalries. Male coaches invariably treat their players like daughters. And as you all know, fathers never choose favorites (in fact, in my day some of my players referred to me as "Little Daddy"). That's why so many female players prefer male coaches.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Did they not indicate that they would like to be the boos and have men under them rather than women bossing women?

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
via sda:

"The (Gallup) survey…found women were more likely than men to want a male boss…In the 60 years that Gallup has conducted this survey, women have never preferred a female boss."

I'm reminded of H.L. Mencken's definition of a misogynist: "A man who hates women as much as women hate one another."

Women Dislike Having Female Bosses More Than Men Do - Businessweek
Well, I have had both. The female boss was tougher and smarter. She was the head of our hospital for many years. She was fair and her priority was the health and comfort of the patients. She was not above bending the rules in favour of the patient,
She was all business. and knew how to handle the government cash watch dogs.......whooooo boy, just run contrary to the care of patients, look out. After getting a male bureaucrat as the executive director, did we all wish she was back.

The male boss concentrated on saving money. Everything was regimented, from the time given to a grieving parent,spouse, to his taste in decorating the hospital was imposed. Waiting times increased and less services offered. So, for me, it depends on the woman or the man. It seems that most women have to work twice as hard to gain 1/2 the recognition of men. They have had to become very tough to get even a foothold.

He talked down to everyone..........moved an hospital from a friendly helpful institution to an arm of the government. He imposed his
opinion on all medical questions, most of which moved patients from friendly helpful staff to staff more mindful of government regulation.
I