Terminally ill 29-year-old woman plans to take her own life on Nov. 1

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Brittany Maynard is shown with her husband Dan in this photo from her death-with-dignity campaign website. The 29-year-old suffers from terminal cancer and plans to take her own life on Nov. 1, 2014 under Oregon law. (The Brittany Maynard Fund | Compassion & Choices)

The Associated Press
Published Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5:28PM EDT
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Brittany Maynard will not live to see if her advocacy makes a difference.
The 29-year-old woman expects to die no later than Nov. 1. If the brain cancer from which she suffers does not kill her in October, she plans to take advantage of Oregon's Death with Dignity Act and end her own life on first of November -- a few days after her husband's 30th birthday.
Maynard and her husband, Dan Diaz, uprooted from California and moved north because Oregon allows terminally ill patients to end their lives with lethal medications prescribed by a doctor.

Rather than silently await death, she has become an advocate for the group Compassion & Choices, which seeks to expand death-with-dignity laws beyond Oregon and a handful of other states.
A nationwide media campaign featuring Maynard's story began Monday, and has gone viral.
"I can't even tell you the amount of relief that it provides me to know that I don't have to die the way that it's been described to me, that my brain tumour would take me on its own," she says in an online video.
Oregon in 1997 became the first U.S. state to make it legal for a doctor to prescribe a life-ending drug to a terminally ill patient of sound mind who makes the request. The patient must swallow the drug without help; it is illegal for a doctor to administer it.
More than 750 people in Oregon used the law to die as of Dec. 31, 2013. The median age of the deceased is 71. Only six were younger than 34, like Maynard.
The state does not track how many terminally ill people move to Oregon to die. One of the "frequently asked questions" on the state Public Health Division website is: "How long does someone have to be a resident of Oregon to participate in the act?"
There is no minimum residency requirement, but a patient must prove to a doctor they are living in the state. Some examples of documentation include a rental agreement, an Oregon voter registration card or a state driver's license.
Maynard said she and her husband were newlyweds actively trying for a family when she learned on New Year's Day that she had brain cancer. By spring, she was given just six months to live.
"I hope to enjoy however many days I have on this beautiful earth and spend as much of it outside as I can surrounded by those I love," Maynard said in the video.
Barbara Coombs Lee, the author of Oregon's law and the president of Compassion & Choices, said Maynard approached the group in August.
"Our campaign now is to build public awareness, build public support so great that the politicians can no longer deny it," she said.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I read about her in the news today. How very very sad. She's fortunate enough to be able to choose.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
The Canadian Supreme Court will be decison making this week in regards to laws and the rights of individuals to make choices on when to end their lives,and more so the Courts will be defining and hopefully admonishing individuals who assist the individuals with these decisons ,this is a big week for Canadians.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Dignity? How is becoming a media s l u t dying with dignity?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The Canadian Supreme Court will be decison making this week in regards to laws and the rights of individuals to make choices on when to end their lives,and more so the Courts will be defining and hopefully admonishing individuals who assist the individuals with these decisons ,this is a big week for Canadians.

Sure, far, far better that people suffer in incredible pain during their last moments. Builds character. And assisting people who suffer....compassionate arseholes.

Spend a day on a hospice ward.

:roll:

The unmitigated gall of someone to speak their mind on issues you disagree with.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I read about her in the news today. How very very sad. She's fortunate enough to be able to choose.

You don't think she's giving up too soon? Miracles do happen occasionally. Some people have been known to survive a long time due to plain old cussedness.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Did I say I disagree with what she wants to do?

If you don't disagree, then why wouldn't you support a campaign such as this one? She's talking about her decision on an issue that affects a large number of people.

Not talking about things like this is what maintains the status quo.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Actions speak louder than words. She's just being a media s l u t.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
You don't think she's giving up too soon? Miracles do happen occasionally. Some people have been known to survive a long time due to plain old cussedness.

Brain cancer is an excrcsiatingly painful cancer. The Dr.s did not have any belief that anything other then a painful death was awaiting her. They have experience with this cancer. This particular cancer has a history of doing specific things in a specific way.

I remember when I was in labour with my daughter. There was a point in which I was no longer aware of anything, anyone, just the pain. If I had not, in advance, said I wanted pain management I would NOT have been able to ask for it then. This is what she is preventing. She is preventing pain so bad she can not think, reason, function and she is preventing her husband, children, family from being tortured for the rest of their lives with watching her die in that way.

I watched my father die of cancer. It was horrible. The things he went through, that we went through, you couldn't imagine and I would do what I could to prevent others from having to live it. Things can happen during death, while waiting for death, with diseases like cancer that not everyone with cancer is going to experience. But some cancers' don't just take a life. They torture the WHOLE family.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think you're just looking for an excuse to call a dying woman a s l u t.

I think there's a better way of putting it, but I take it as she being someone that all the different forms of the media are all over. To do as you suggest would be absolutely heartless.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
...and what if she had another month with her husband?? Why not Dec 1st. or Jan 1st.

He seems to be ok with it. This way he doesnt have to see her suffer. She gets to go out in control. It would be nice if we all had that power.

Spreads awareness on the issue and shows it is not something to be feared. Those who for whatever reason wish to stick around for every painful second should be able to do so, but those who dont, like this woman, should have the freedom to chose. Those who wish to assist people like her should not be made into criminals.

Thats up to her. Personally I doubt Id stick around if I were in that position. I might, but I doubt it. Its a very personal choice regardless of what the ultimate decision is.

Brain cancer is an excrcsiatingly painful cancer. The Dr.s did not have any belief that anything other then a painful death was awaiting her. They have experience with this cancer. This particular cancer has a history of doing specific things in a specific way.

Indeed. One of my second cousins had what he thought was a migraine for a few days. Turned out to be brain cancer. He never had another pain free day. Fortunately for him it was relatively quick. Three months later it was over.

Kathie Bondar

Kathie Bondar
May 11, 2010
Calgary, Alberta

Brittany Maynard is shown with her husband Dan in this photo from her death-with-dignity campaign website. The 29-year-old suffers from terminal cancer and plans to take her own life on Nov. 1, 2014 under Oregon law. (The Brittany Maynard Fund | Compassion & Choices)

The Associated Press
Published Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5:28PM EDT
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Brittany Maynard will not live to see if her advocacy makes a difference.
The 29-year-old woman expects to die no later than Nov. 1. If the brain cancer from which she suffers does not kill her in October, she plans to take advantage of Oregon's Death with Dignity Act and end her own life on first of November -- a few days after her husband's 30th birthday.
Maynard and her husband, Dan Diaz, uprooted from California and moved north because Oregon allows terminally ill patients to end their lives with lethal medications prescribed by a doctor.

Rather than silently await death, she has become an advocate for the group Compassion & Choices, which seeks to expand death-with-dignity laws beyond Oregon and a handful of other states.
A nationwide media campaign featuring Maynard's story began Monday, and has gone viral.
"I can't even tell you the amount of relief that it provides me to know that I don't have to die the way that it's been described to me, that my brain tumour would take me on its own," she says in an online video.
Oregon in 1997 became the first U.S. state to make it legal for a doctor to prescribe a life-ending drug to a terminally ill patient of sound mind who makes the request. The patient must swallow the drug without help; it is illegal for a doctor to administer it.
More than 750 people in Oregon used the law to die as of Dec. 31, 2013. The median age of the deceased is 71. Only six were younger than 34, like Maynard.
The state does not track how many terminally ill people move to Oregon to die. One of the "frequently asked questions" on the state Public Health Division website is: "How long does someone have to be a resident of Oregon to participate in the act?"
There is no minimum residency requirement, but a patient must prove to a doctor they are living in the state. Some examples of documentation include a rental agreement, an Oregon voter registration card or a state driver's license.
Maynard said she and her husband were newlyweds actively trying for a family when she learned on New Year's Day that she had brain cancer. By spring, she was given just six months to live.
"I hope to enjoy however many days I have on this beautiful earth and spend as much of it outside as I can surrounded by those I love," Maynard said in the video.
Barbara Coombs Lee, the author of Oregon's law and the president of Compassion & Choices, said Maynard approached the group in August.
"Our campaign now is to build public awareness, build public support so great that the politicians can no longer deny it," she said.

Yeh, why would not she have the greatest October of her life, she is just dying of cancer in unbearable pain.
However, I can tell you that reincarnation is a reality and she will be immediately after death reborn on earth, in a much worst situation that is is bailing out of.
I worked out the principles of reincarnation. We are here for a purpose and we were supposed to make our best effort to cope and to learn from it. Bailing out of this obligation is not permitted and you pay for it with your own sweat and blood when you are sent directly back to try to do better.
Having said that, I am very sorry for your pain. Have some faith, let the powers that be decide.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I've been following this story for a while.

It will be awesome when people evolve to the level where they realize that when someone is terminal, it is their personal decision to choose when they go home. Other people's personal opinions are just that, their opinion and should have zero influence on that choice.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeh, why would not she have the greatest October of her life, she is just dying of cancer in unbearable pain.
However, I can tell you that reincarnation is a reality and she will be immediately after death reborn on earth, in a much worst situation that is is bailing out of.
I worked out the principles of reincarnation. We are here for a purpose and we were supposed to make our best effort to cope and to learn from it. Bailing out of this obligation is not permitted and you pay for it with your own sweat and blood when you are sent directly back to try to do better.

So, we are in a game for the amusement of some higher power. Lovely. Id want an exit from that too. They should have told me about this before i was born.

Other people's personal opinions are just that, their opinion and should have zero influence on that choice.

Unfortunately people with opinions make laws. Most of them seem to think forcing their opinion on others is the way it should be. Hopefully the opinion of those nine folks on the supreme court will disagree with that opinion.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Having said that, I am very sorry for your pain. Have some faith, let the powers that be decide.

So I'm guessing if you live by God's word, and do everything right, that God does not send you back to the Hell Hole called Earth?? ;)

I think I may just convert to Islam... rather get the 12 virgins.

Bill Maher - Religulous Full Documentary (2008) - YouTube

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
So I'm guessing if you live by God's word, and do everything right, that God does not send you back to the Hell Hole called Earth?? ;)

I think I may just convert to Islam... rather get the 12 virgins.

Probably have a better chance in Vegas.