Police duty 'to serve and protect only'

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Pierrefonds resident Michael Reilley says two Montreal police officers abused their power by fining him $162 after he stopped them for making an illegal left turn.

The incident occurred Saturday morning when Reilley was driving south down Victoria Avenue just past Côte-Ste-Catherine Road.

Reilley, 69, told CBC News that he watched the police car in front of him make a left turn onto a street where no left turns are permitted between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m.

Reilley said the cruiser did not flash its roof lights or even use its turn signal, so he decided to take action.

“I was immediately annoyed because I didn’t expect that type of behaviour from police,” he told CBC News.

He followed the police car and flashed his high beams to get the officers to pull over. They eventually did so after Reilley honked his horn.

“Do you realize that you made an illegal left turn without any flashing lights?” Reilley asked the officers after pulling his car up alongside them.

According to Reilley, the officer behind the wheel said they were on a call. Reilley replied that they should have flashed their roof lights if that was the case.

The officers — who were “quite hostile and pretty angry,” according to Reilley — ordered him to pull up in front of the cruiser and park his car.

According to Reilley, one officer told him: "'You don’t pull us over, we pull you over.'”

Both officers got out of the cruiser, approached his car on either side and asked Reilley to produce identification.

The officers took Reilley's ID back to their car and eventually returned with a ticket for $162 for honking his horn unnecessarily, he said.

“They fined me for honking my horn to bring to their attention something that they had done illegally. And I find that an abuse of power."

more

Michael Reilley fined $162 after stopping police for illegal turn - Montreal - CBC News

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I figured there must be exemptions to the rules of the road for certain people.

This article as example 1. The large cargo trucks that take up 2 lanes on the bridge with their hazards on. Not all cargo trucks to this, just some and last the motorized scooters for the old and physically troubled who ride on the road beside the sidewalks.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It doesn't say he followed the same path. I ubderstand how upsetting this type of thing is to you "law and order" people.
I know your reading comprehension is impaired by your hate for the police.... but do make an effort to keep up!
Taking another street would not be called following.

Reilley, 69, told CBC News that he watched the police car in front of him make a left turn onto a street where no left turns are permitted between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m.

Reilley said the cruiser did not flash its roof lights or even use its turn signal, so he decided to take action.

“I was immediately annoyed because I didn’t expect that type of behaviour from police,” he told CBC News.

He followed the police car and flashed his high beams to get the officers to pull over. They eventually did so after Reilley honked his horn.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I know this is right up Cannucks alley. Please show us on the doll where the policeman touched you.

But please, who does this?

He followed the police car and flashed his high beams to get the officers to pull over. They eventually did so after Reilley honked his horn. “Do you realize that you made an illegal left turn without any flashing lights?” Reilley asked the officers after pulling his car up alongside them.

Call the department with the car number if you're that upset.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Ideally, this should be the job of the police management--to monitor their cars and determine if they are abiding by the rules of the road. But now we have developed such a culture that police are not bound by the law that I can't see that happening.

In a similar situation, I yhad a boiss who's wife was hit by a cop car making an illegal left turn. The cop must have realized it because he rpmoptly write her a ticket indicating it was her fault. She won that case, but only when it got in front of a judge. Again--ridiculous. The cops supervisor should have realized the conflict of interest the cop was in and voided the ticket.

As for this guy, good on 'im. It would seem a fruitless gesture, but it's made the national news so....

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I know your reading comprehension is impaired by your hate for the police.... but do make an effort to keep up!
Taking another street would not be called following.

They wouldn't have to take another street. Perhaps you should stop making assumptions.

Call the department with the car number if you're that upset.

I'm not familiar with the department so I'm not sure if that would be effective. You obviously do though.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Ideally, this should be the job of the police management--to monitor their cars and determine if they are abiding by the rules of the road. But now we have developed such a culture that police are not bound by the law that I can't see that happening.

In a similar situation, I yhad a boiss who's wife was hit by a cop car making an illegal left turn. The cop must have realized it because he rpmoptly write her a ticket indicating it was her fault. She won that case, but only when it got in front of a judge. Again--ridiculous. The cops supervisor should have realized the conflict of interest the cop was in and voided the ticket.

As for this guy, good on 'im. It would seem a fruitless gesture, but it's made the national news so....

We finally have a decent Sgt here that actually listens to concerns and deals with them. We had one wingnut here that, if he caught a speeder coming the other way he would turn on his lights and pull in front of them. Did it for years and everybody figured eventually he would kill somebody. One call to the new Sgt and the problem disappeared

Never know. Once upon a time, an exhibitionist attention wh*re named Rosa Parks refused to move to the back of the bus. Most people think that went pretty well.

RCS only knows how to follow orders. Rosa was a little over the top for him

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
They wouldn't have to take another street. Perhaps you should stop making assumptions.

I'm not familiar with the department so I'm not sure if that would be effective. You obviously do though.
Are you ever mixed up.... if he didn't take another street, he followed the same path, make up you f*cking mind....or is this your usual ....

And please give me another red......it makes my day and proves your full of sh*t as usual!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Are you ever mixed up.... if he didn't take another street, he followed the same path, make up you f*cking mind....or is this your usual ....

And please give me another red......it makes my day and proves your full of sh*t as usual!

He could have turned into a parking lot and driven through to get to the other street. Hell, there could have been a service road that he used. You see, that is the difference between you and me. I don't know all the details and I won't make them up just to fit my agenda. One only manages to make oneself look foolish when they do that.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
>in this thread, no actual police officers, nobody that ever was a police officer and no one that ever has/had to put up with the bullsh!t and danger like the police do.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
He could have turned into a parking lot and driven through to get to the other street. Hell, there could have been a service road that he used. You see, that is the difference between you and me. I don't know all the details and I won't make them up just to fit my agenda. One only manages to make oneself look foolish when they do that.

Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.....do keep doing whatever you're doing, and leave no doubt in anybody's mind!