Bad landlords

Kat1983

Sep 21, 2014
Edmonton
It's crazy how bad some landlords can be I live in apartment just off 107ave in edmomton,alberta
This apartment is infested with bedbugs and cockroaches thier also will not fix a thing in here as
Thier think you should do it yourself it's a joke how thier don't do thier jobs the yard is so nasty with
All kinds of garbage thier also think it's okay to have 5 people living in a one bedroom thier need to be
Stopped this apartment needs to be condemned

Kat1983

Sep 21, 2014
Edmonton
107? Great neighbourhood. Have you considered moving?
Yes I we have wanted to move but with are cats getting sick it's hard as all the money has been going to the vet bills and that is due to Mold in the apartment
I feel like we can't win it one thing after another and thier don't want to do anything about it

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Try borax in a sprayed solution (as strong as you can make it. It will kill a lot of pests from ants up. I would say call Alberta Health but they would just close the place down and that wouldn't do you any good. If that same solution is added to 3% hydrogen peroxide so it is a 1% solution it works against mange in pets and it is sprayed on and rubbed in lightly and left like that. The peroxide will kill the living critters and the borax that is left behind.
For mold use vinegar and spray it down so it remains damp and keep that up for a few days (at least I did my place for about 10 days and then switched to a water and baking soda solution (as strong as you could make it) That is followed with borax. It will make the place liveable but the sourse of the mold would still be there.
Your health and the pets health aren't going to get better without the living conditions improving and that is on you shoulders even if it the responsibility is not yours.
If you are on Alberta Works don't mess around, phone Alberta Health and get an inspection done and take that report to Alberta Works and because it is a health issue there is a program that will get you $1,000 to relocate yourself.

With mold you are going to get sick yourself but it will be increased anxiety and anger to the point you will become physically violent over the littlest of issues. All this is from personal experience as last year it was discovered that the house I was in for 14 years had a mold problem that was hidden in the walls and that lead to a lot of research to find out what it does and how to clean it up and how to get your health back.

You will be better off looking through this site for care for your pets. The best thing is to get them and yourself to a clean environment.

http://www.earthclinic.com/pets.html

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I believe it is called finding a safe place for your pets (and yourself) rather than 'get rid of'.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
In Nova Scotia there's the Tenancy Board, which I've dangled over the head of a number of landlords and agencies over such things.

For Edmonton: Service Alberta: Common Questions - Landlords and Tenants

How do I deal with bedbugs in my apartment?

Notify your landlord and report the bed bugs. The landlord should inspect all the units adjacent to, above and below the apartment found to have bed bugs. The landlord must hire a professional pest control operator approved by Alberta Environment and/or heat treatment professional operator to treat for bed bugs. For additional information read Bedbugs on the the My Health Alberta website.
Read through this and know your rights. It doesn't matter what a Landlord thinks you should be dealing with yourself..... they have obligations to uphold while providing you a contracted service for your money.

The normal procedure is to contact the landlord of the building you are renting out. If they do nothing, you then contact the agency who employs that landlord..... if there is no agency and the landlord is an independent, then move to the next step.

If you feel the are breaching any agreements with the Tenancy Act and are not doing what is expected of them, then you have every right to contact the Tenancy Board and explain the situation. If you and multiple tenants contact them together, it produces a better case for you guys. Attempt to organize a time for them to have someone come out and inspect the building in which you are renting and let them assess the situation. You will also need to inform them that you have contacted the landlord over these matters at least once before you came to them.

They will then make their recommendation and hang the landlord by the balls by either forcing them to fix the place up to meet the Tenancy Agreement or take further action..... which be a lot worse for them.

If a landlord expects that they should be able to take your money while not doing anything to keep the dwelling in a satisfactory condition, then they have another thing coming. If they expect you to fix everything yourself, then they should also expect to not get any money from you.

Another option you can also take is to get someone in to fix the problem and then send the landlord the bill. (Depending on the rules/laws in your area)

But above all else, always keep records of everything. Send all requests, damage reports, infestation notifications on record. Keep it all in writing and don't just rely on verbal agreements. Take photos of mould and infestations or any other damages to the place that could be a danger or risk to you and others inside the dwelling. And it also helps to keep everything dated.

When you sign a contract of Tenancy, there are agreements and responsibilities that both you as a tenant and the landlord must adhere to..... it is not just a one way street to protect the landlords.

Landlords have protections against tenants who trash their buildings and cause disturbances, etc..... and Tenants have protections against landlords not maintaining an adequately healthy and safe environment to live in.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Take a hot ironing pad and run it over your mattress and box spring. That will kill all bed bugs. Thereafter, give it all a good washing with bleach. As stated above, borax is a good cleanser to kill off mold. A thorough washing with bleach will help as well.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
My point re:getting rid of pets is that apartments that take pets are harder to find the first thing OP has to do is stabilise their living situation To Whit find a decent place and regain some health & sanity-but that requires some decision making and priority setting excuse making of course is much easier.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You say "cats", suggesting more than one. How many cats are there? If you live in a small apartment why do you have cats?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's crazy how bad some landlords can be I live in apartment just off 107ave in edmomton,alberta
This apartment is infested with bedbugs and cockroaches thier also will not fix a thing in here as
Thier think you should do it yourself it's a joke how thier don't do thier jobs the yard is so nasty with
All kinds of garbage thier also think it's okay to have 5 people living in a one bedroom thier need to be
Stopped this apartment needs to be condemned

I have a place just like that right now. Its the first time Ive lived anywhere with any of these sorts of problems and hopefully the last. Im hoping to be out by the first.

Did you hear any complaints of mice from this person?

I have two cats myself. Since Ive been in this dive they have been doing what cats were originally domesticated to do - they have killed one mouse or rat that I know of and seem to enjoy taking out bugs. When I get to a normal clean place they may not like it. Nothing to chase or kill.

My point re:getting rid of pets is that apartments that take pets are harder to find

I never had much of a problem. Even on as little as 10 days notice. I guess it varies from city to city or province to province.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Did you hear any complaints of mice from this person?

We've had just one problem with mice and that was in a house where there were quite a few places the mice could get in. Closed up all the holes and put out some traps and the problem was solved in a week. Some cats are micers, some are not.