Does downloading free movies and music equate to stealing?

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
I think it is stealing, what say you?
Downloading "Free" movies and music is not stealing.

Movies and TV shows are tricky. I don't think it's stealing if it's been released and you can PVR it so why can't you download.

Depends on the source I guess.

Music is different. It's not intended to be copied and listened to later...unless it's paid for.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
Downloading "Free" movies and music is not stealing.

Movies and TV shows are tricky. I don't think it's stealing if it's been released and you can PVR it so why can't you download.

Depends on the source I guess.

Music is different. It's not intended to be copied and listened to later...unless it's paid for.

I can PVR music.

I do pay for the service though.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Is your internet free?

Depends who provides it?

Do you think television shows or movies would be produced if everyone watched for free?

Where did I state this
"Do you think television shows or movies would be produced if everyone watched for free"

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
People who download any media without paying are sponging off people who pay for the very same product.

They have all the excuses in the world but when it comes down to it they are takers from makers.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

If you buy something, you own it usually. If I broke into your house and grabbed your movies without your permission. It would be theft. If Katy Perry broke into your house and grabbed your Katy Perry CD, that would still be theft. If Sony broke into your house and grabbed any music or movies distributed by Sony, that would still be theft. That property is yours. But if I came over and asked to borrow your Katy Perry CD, don't you think you should be allowed to do it? I know you couldn't part with your Katy Perry, but think hypothetically here.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I'd pay for content without commercials. I dislike paying to watch lies about products I don't "need" in an attempt to "brand" me to their product.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
If you buy something, you own it usually. If I broke into your house and grabbed your movies without your permission. It would be theft. If Katy Perry broke into your house and grabbed your Katy Perry CD, that would still be theft. If Sony broke into your house and grabbed any music or movies distributed by Sony, that would still be theft. That property is yours. But if I came over and asked to borrow your Katy Perry CD, don't you think you should be allowed to do it? I know you couldn't part with your Katy Perry, but think hypothetically here.

Did I pay for the CD or did I find it on a torrent?

Big difference.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
People who download any media without paying are sponging off people who pay for the very same product.

They have all the excuses in the world but when it comes down to it they are takers from makers.

for some content. There's a lot of content that you can access from the networks websites. There's a lot of content that can't be watched because it's no in rotation. There's a fair amount of content that simply can't be paid for and delivered to this country.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Do you think television shows or movies would be produced if everyone watched for free?
Yes. In fact, it grew and flourished as free to air for years.

In fact, if you have an antenna, as we do, and a digital decoder, you can still watch TV for free. Excluding the cost of hydro of course.

Money is/was made through advertising.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
for some content. There's a lot of content that you can access from the networks websites. There's a lot of content that can't be watched because it's no in rotation. There's a fair amount of content that simply can't be paid for and delivered to this country.

Such as?