'Inappropriate' T-shirts at off-campus event under investigation: Carleton U

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
'Inappropriate' T-shirts at off-campus event under investigation: Carleton U

Karolyn Coorsh, CTV News
Published Sunday, September 7, 2014 8:24PM EDT
Last Updated Monday, September 8, 2014 11:02AM EDT Warning: This story contains offensive language
Carleton University in Ottawa says an investigation is underway after photos of students wearing shirts with “inappropriate wording” surfaced online on Sunday.
Images of students wearing the shirts were making the rounds over social media after an Ottawa lawyer tweeted a photo reportedly taken near the university’s campus.

The shirts had the words “**** SAFE SPACE,” apparently referring to campus safe spaces where students can be free from sexual harassment and homophobia.
Leslie Robertson tweeted a photo of two men wearing the T-shirts while walking along a sidewalk. It was retweeted more than 140 times.

The Charlatan, Carleton’s independent newspaper, reported that photos of frosh leaders wearing the shirt have also been posted on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, but the images have since been deleted.
There was speculation online that the shirts were worn in protest of a university rule prohibiting swearing during frosh week.
In a statement, Carleton University said it is investigating “an off-campus gathering Sunday involving Carleton students who wore T-shirts with inappropriate wording.”
University policy “prohibits activities” that contravene the guiding ethics of the institution, the statement said.
“Carleton University is a community of respect and all efforts are made to ensure that those within our community are respectful of their fellow students, the broader community and the university itself.”
The university-sanctioned Fall Orientation Week at Carleton wrapped up on Saturday.
The incident sparked anger over Twitter on Sunday:

Read more: 'Inappropriate' T-shirts at off-campus event under investigation: Carleton U | CTV News

If it was an off-campus event, what does the University have to say about what a student is wearing? Not to endorse the idiocy of the expressions used but they are just that, expressions. Not behaviour. And again, off-campus.

We've had neighbourhood riots here from Fanshawe College students that made international news headlines and the school was powerless to do anything about it because it was off-campus.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I don't understand why you allow college students in your communities at all. Especially since you have all that lovely space above the Arctic Circle.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Universities have been pretty nebulous on the concept of free speech. A combination of the stridency of the radfems and other assorted zealots and the essential spinelessness of those in academia.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Universities have been pretty nebulous on the concept of free speech. A combination of the stridency of the radfems and other assorted zealots and the essential spinelessness of those in academia.

Free speech?

This was a non-university event off campus. They should be free to wear what they want.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Free speech?
Exists vis-a-vis the government and only the government.

This was a non-university event off campus. They should be free to wear what they want.
Ray Rice just got banned, probably for life, for a non-NFL event far from any NFL facility. If you want to be associated with an organisation, you have to play by that organisation's rules.

By the way, these little bastards shouldn't be in uni at all. They show no sign of sufficient maturity to be off Mom's apron strings.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

U of Calgary was taken to court last year and lost. I understand and agree with the principle behind safe space on campus, free from harassment.
But universities are not known for free speech, just the opposite.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This was an off campus event which means its none of the Universities business
what was said or done. Its time governments and institutions stopped trying to
control people at all times. If this was on campus and during the learning day that
might be different but what I do on my free time is my business and that should
apply to all Canadians as long as it falls short of criminal activity and even that off
campus in none of the universities business.
The long arm of oppression gets longer all the time

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Ray Rice just got banned, probably for life, for a non-NFL event far from any NFL facility. If you want to be associated with an organisation, you have to play by that organisation's rules.

If the students had been acting as university ambassedors like Ray Rice was an ambassedor to the NFL, then you would have a point.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
OK, let's leave that diversion aside.

Are you saying that the NFL would be wrong to ban a trainer or other non-player team employee for domestic violence?

So we are saying these students are under the university's employ?

A more appropriate comparisson might be a season ticket holder.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver

By the way, these little bastards shouldn't be in uni at all. They show no sign of sufficient maturity to be off Mom's apron strings.

In Canada, universities are public insitituitons. Maturity is not a requirement for university admission. Academic credentials are.

There does seem to be this creeping idea that employers, or organizations, should have control of people 24/7. If that turns out to be the case, the Charter ain't worth the paper it's written on.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
OK, let's leave that diversion aside.

Are you saying that the NFL would be wrong to ban a trainer or other non-player team employee for domestic violence?

Why don't we keep it to non-criminal activities, like wearing a t-shirt.

And, for the sake of argument, where does the slogan on a t-shirt investigation possibility end? Political statements? Religious statements?

Foul language and offensive mockery of policy seems rather pale doesn't it?

In Canada, universities are public insitituitons. Maturity is not a requirement for university admission. Academic credentials are.

There does seem to be this creeping idea that employers, or oragnizations, should have control of people 24/7. If that turns out to be the case, the Chsrter ain't worth the paper it's written on.

Or that employees are answerable to the organizations that employ them 24/7. Frankly that's a scary thought.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Why don't we keep it to non-criminal activities, like wearing a t-shirt.

And, for the sake of argument, where does the slogan on a t-shirt investigation possibility end? Political statements? Religious statements?

Foul language and offensive mockery of policy seems rather pale doesn't it?

Absolutely. I'm not saying the university is being smart, I'm arguing that it can place limits on students' off-campus activities.

Slippery term. Are the unis government agencies, or are they not? Are the presidents or deans or whatever you call them government employees?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Absolutely. I'm not saying the university is being smart, I'm arguing that it can place limits on students' off-campus activities.

I get that (conditions of enrollment) but my first thought is, how far does that extend, justifiably? In their own home? Out of town?

And I was incorrect earlier, the college I mentioned did suspend students over the riots. What I was recalling was the months (and in some cases years) of complaints pertaining to noise and excessive partying in off campus neighbourhoods. I do distinctly recall the college's position was that the behaviour occurred off campus so therefore it was a police matter.

I'm just wondering where does the line get drawn? Where should it get drawn?