Edmonton man gets a year in prison after cleaver attack


SLM
#1
Edmonton man gets a year in prison after cleaver attack

By Tony Blais (external - login to view), Edmonton Sun First posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 06:06 PM MDT





An Edmonton man who attacked a stranger with a cleaver -- including holding it against his own throat -- and threatened to kill the man and his family was jailed Thursday.

Ian Drako Bruce, 26, was handed a 12-month sentence after pleading guilty in Provincial Court to assault with a weapon and uttering death threats. He was also given an extra four months for a two-on-one attack on an Edmonton Remand Centre inmate and ripping a phone out of a wall.
Judge Shelagh Creagh accepted Bruce's remorse, but said a jail term was required due to the "severity" of the armed attack and the fact it had "destroyed" the victims' "peace of mind" and "took away their confidence."
Crown prosecutor Breena Smith told court victim Matthew Douma had been brushing snow off his vehicle outside his Oliver-area home about 7:45 a.m. on March 5 when Bruce approached him, told him he had been robbed and demanded he give him some money.
As Douma moved around his vehicle to get away, Bruce threatened to kill himself and then reached behind his back and pulled out a sheathed cleaver from his waist.
Bruce then took off the sheath and held the cleaver to his own throat before raising it above his head and running towards Douma, said Smith, adding the victim was able to block Bruce's arm and knock the weapon away.
Bruce then continued to assault Douma by punching him numerous times in the face while Douma tried to restrain him and hold him for police as his wife, who had been watching the attack in horror from inside their home, had called 911, said Smith. However, Bruce was able to flee.
Court heard the couple's dog had been barking during the incident and, as Bruce ran away, he yelled back: "I know where you live. I'll come back to kill you, your wife and your dog. You're dead."
Bruce was nabbed nearby a short time later, said Smith, who added Douma suffered cuts to an eyebrow and his neck while Bruce had a small cut on his neck.
Court also heard that Bruce had attacked an inmate at the Edmonton Remand Centre with another man on April 4 and he had ripped a phone there out of a wall on June 16 after telling guards that "it wasn't working properly."
Defence lawyer Kent Teskey told the judge that Bruce has untreated mental health issues.
In 2010, Bruce was handed a five-year prison sentence for sexually assaulting a woman at knifepoint and then going ballistic on police after being taken down by twin teenage boys. He also made racist comments towards the woman.



Edmonton man gets a year in prison after cleaver attack | Edmonton | News | Edmo (external - login to view)


So why is a guy, after repeat behaviour like this....



Quote:

Court also heard that Bruce had attacked an inmate at the Edmonton Remand Centre with another man on April 4 and he had ripped a phone there out of a wall on June 16 after telling guards that "it wasn't working properly."

Quote:

In 2010, Bruce was handed a five-year prison sentence for sexually assaulting a woman at knifepoint and then going ballistic on police after being taken down by twin teenage boys. He also made racist comments towards the woman.

...only given one year for such a bizarre and violent attack on a random stranger? Why is this guy, whom even a layperson could deduce from his behaviour as having a mental illness, not also being mandated to treatment for his mental illness?
 
55Mercury
#2
no sh!t. didn't even serve the full five... musta just finished parole and now this? he shoulda got at least 5 more and no chance of parole.
 
Nuggler
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
""Defence lawyer Kent Teskey told the judge that Bruce has untreated mental health issues.""

Yup. No shyte.!

Gets a year. What's in the water out there.? All this after being jailed for a sexual assault.........boggling, folks. Just boggling.
 
SLM
#4
It's disturbing to me that, not only is the public really not being protected from a individual with a proven track record of extreme violence on strangers, but that it's so clear that this individual has an illness that is being untreated. And I don't say this in a "bleeding heart, weep for the perpetrator" kind of way, but it stands to reason that if treated at least the possibility would exist that the public would be safer as well as satisfying the basic notion of providing medical care where it is needed. Mandating treatment at least offers the possibility that things will be better.....as it stands now you're just postponing the next attack by a year.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

""Defence lawyer Kent Teskey told the judge that Bruce has untreated mental health issues.""

Yup. No shyte.!

Gets a year. What's in the water out there.? All this after being jailed for a sexual assault.........boggling, folks. Just boggling.

Yet no where is it stated he must get treatment. It would be a violation of his rights and freedoms to do so. This guy should be in jail if he is not getting treatment. 1 year is a joke.
 
no new posts