Why the Economy Ain't Working

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Part of why we focus too much on 'the economy'.

The jobs numbers prove that it's just another bull**** talking point.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Even investors should be concerned if only 9% is going to support the institutions.
If the economy does another 2008 they could very well fall by the wayside. If I had
money in such a company I would worry that it might not survive and take my
investment with it. A nation cannot sustain itself its foundation is crumbling at the
economic core. We are going to face the music someday in the form of a depression
or war and all those profits now won't account for much. It has happened before and
likely will come again. Instead of beating each other up we should be finding ways to
bring the economy back to health.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
haven't all great civilizations of the past faced this same thing? an imbalance of wealth?

When an organization becomes top heavy...it topples. When a society/civilization becomes top heavy...?

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
haven't all great civilizations of the past faced this same thing? an imbalance of wealth?

When an organization becomes top heavy...it topples. When a society/civilization becomes top heavy...?

Nah.....many in this society embrace inequality.

They love it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think Mr. Samuelson's point is that if we do something about the excessive imbalance now, maybe we won't have to rebuild our civilisation from the ashes and wreckage.

Not that I care. I got no kids. If the thing holds together another 40 years, max, it can all come apart the day I die for all I care.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
I think Mr. Samuelson's point is that if we do something about the excessive imbalance now, maybe we won't have to rebuild our civilisation from the ashes and wreckage.

Not that I care. I got no kids. If the thing holds together another 40 years, max, it can all come apart the day I die for all I care.

At least you're honest.

A scum bag, but an honest scum bag.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

hmmmm, well I think it will all fall apart and I too hope it does not happen in my life time. I hope my daughter will find herself with the education that makes such a falling apart not matter...

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
If you ever used a dishonest scum bag, you'd have kids now.

I'd be happy to entertain reasons why I should care, if you have any.

Besides ones that boil down to because you do. Or claim to.

I have two kids, hope they have a good life.

That's all I care about.

If someone says "I don't care what happens after I die because I have no kids"....that's a problem for me.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
So basically big finance have found a way to create more profit at the cost of the whole (the country in general)
Health of a country is in the buying power of it's people , not how much profit a corporation makes.
This will bite everyone in the as$ eventually.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So basically big finance have found a way to create more profit at the cost of the whole (the country in general)
Health of a country is in the buying power of it's people , not how much profit a corporation makes.
This will bite everyone in the as$ eventually.
And fairly quickly. Money don't count. Money in circulation is what makes an economy strong. Show me a country where 95% of the wealth is in the hands of 5% of the people, and I'll show you a stagnant economy with no innovation, no enterprise, and no future.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
And fairly quickly. Money don't count. Money in circulation is what makes an economy strong. Show me a country where 95% of the wealth is in the hands of 5% of the people, and I'll show you a stagnant economy with no innovation, no enterprise, and no future.

The USA.

It goes much deeper than that though.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I always had in mind that money should be compared to water. Like you say , when wealth will be all accumulated in one area it will have no value.