Here We Go Again

SLM
+1
Mommy fat-shaming: Alberta mom hits back after being mocked at beach

Christina Commisso, CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Friday, August 1, 2014 10:08AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, August 1, 2014 1:53PM EDT An Edmonton mother of five who described being openly taunted over her less-than-tight tummy while sunbathing at a beach has received an outpouring of support after sharing her story online.
Tanis Jex-Blake, 33, said earlier this week she was at the beach in a bikini with two of her children for the first time in 13 years when she overheard a group of adults openly mocking her.
“I'm sorry if my first attempt at sun tanning in a bikini in public in 13 years ‘grossed you out,’” Jex-Blake wrote in a Facebook post on July 29 that has since been shared nearly 3,000 times.

The post also included a photo of her stomach – stretch marks and all.
“I'm sorry that my stomach isn't flat and tight. I'm sorry that my belly is covered in stretch marks,” she wrote.
Jex-Blake said two men and one woman on the beach pointed, laughed and pretended to kick her as she attempted to sunbathe.

Read more: Mommy fat-shaming: Alberta mom hits back after being mocked at beach | CTV News (external - login to view)

Sigh.

While I commend her on her attempt to 'speak out', in my opinion she's focusing on the wrong things. She does not have to explain herself in any way, shape, or form. Tall, short, fat, skinny, whatever we all may be the problem is not that we are too much of anything, the problem is that those who focus on such things are intellectual midgets who have to climb an enormous ladder to even begin to have a hope of becoming a half-wit.

Don't misunderstand me, I get where she's coming from. She was insulted and belittled but what transpired is not her problem, it's theirs. This is not about her body, it is about their minds and the shocking lack of working brain cells they must possess. When are we going to realize that the excess weight we may have can always be lost but the stupidity of the "bullies" is going to be theirs forever? Stop giving them the power! By all means, recant these tales on Facebook or Twitter or where ever you would like but let's start with something more along the lines of "Let me tell you about these three pathetic losers I had occasion to come across today...."

tay
+1
Dress for the body you have, not the one you want.............

SLM
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Dress for the body you have, not the one you want.............

Just a moment while I get the ladder for you.......

Locutus
+1

would bang, stretch marks or no.

when one of us guys are alone, we seem to have our common sense, decency, manners and even chivalry about us...put some of us together with a meathead and maybe some alcohol and it can all go south...the two manly-men 'house builders' (righhht) were simply being cruel and inside they know it...piss-poor upbringing, likely a lack of a proper father figure too...but what do I know.

QuebecCanadian
+1
Completely agree with you SLM! She made this bigger than it had to be. I'll bet there were as many people looking at her and wishing they had the confidence to wear a bikini. It takes a certain kind of "I don't give a crap what anyone thinks" to wear something that might be a little less than flattering so then she needs to not give a crap about the stupid childish idiots.

As for "dress for the body you have". Who are any of us to judge what should be on a particular body? If they make a bikini in a larger size then that's the body the bikini was made for.

All throughout my life from teenaged on, I would wear super tight pants with super loose tops to give the illusion that I was slim. It was an illusion. I don't think I had ever truly been comfortable in public for fear of someone judging me. While mocking the people that wore clothes too tight or too short or too young.... I secretly envied them for their seemingly oblivious attitudes. These people were happy and comfortable.

Nope, I've come to the conclusion that in the big picture, it really doesn't matter what some stranger thinks. If they have a problem with what someone is wearing, there is probably a bigger, more personal issue underneath.

damngrumpy
+1
When will people learn to mind their own business? If the same people were on
the receiving end of criticism of almost any kind they would be outraged citing
their personal freedom to do whatever.
There are people out there who believe everyone should be equal its just they have
determined they are a little more equal than others.
I am sometimes amazed at how ignorant some people can be and how shameless
they are about their level of ignorance.
Its wonderful how we can be so critical of others without ever seeing what in the
mirror.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

when one of us guys are alone, we seem to have our common sense, decency, manners and even chivalry about us...put some of us together with a meathead and maybe some alcohol and it can all go south...the two manly-men 'house builders' (righhht) were simply being cruel and inside they know it...piss-poor upbringing, likely a lack of a proper father figure too...but what do I know.

You know plenty.

Quote: Originally Posted by QuebecCanadianView Post

Completely agree with you SLM! She made this bigger than it had to be. I'll bet there were as many people looking at her and wishing they had the confidence to wear a bikini. It takes a certain kind of "I don't give a crap what anyone thinks" to wear something that might be a little less than flattering so then she needs to not give a crap about the stupid childish idiots.

As for "dress for the body you have". Who are any of us to judge what should be on a particular body? If they make a bikini in a larger size then that's the body the bikini was made for.

All throughout my life from teenaged on, I would wear super tight pants with super loose tops to give the illusion that I was slim. It was an illusion. I don't think I had ever truly been comfortable in public for fear of someone judging me. While mocking the people that wore clothes too tight or too short or too young.... I secretly envied them for their seemingly oblivious attitudes. These people were happy and comfortable.

Nope, I've come to the conclusion that in the big picture, it really doesn't matter what some stranger thinks. If they have a problem with what someone is wearing, there is probably a bigger, more personal issue underneath.

I can empathize with her, I think most people can if they would just pull their head out of their a*ss for a moment. Everybody has felt insecure at times, we all know the feeling and most of us adults are actually adult enough to not share every passing thought with the world. Particularly thoughts that involve judgement of other people.

But I think sometimes what bothers me more is that she, in this particular case, and people in general, just allow others to have that much power over them. It's the other people that have done something inappropriate and wrong, not her. She comes at it from a place of defensiveness, explaining why she shouldn't be judged. And she's right, she shouldn't be judged and she doesn't have to explain anything. This isn't about chastising her for her posting, it really isn't, I get why she's saying what she's saying. But I want her, I want all of us to stand proud of ourselves (even though we may not always feel that way all the time) and view this type of incident as the bizarre behaviour of pathetic individuals that it is.

Locutus
HuffPost CanadaVerified account ‏@HuffPostCanada (external - login to view)

Incase you were wondering why 2 dozen women in bikinis showed up in Edmonton yesterday
huff.to/1ojMioU (external - login to view) pic.twitter.com/JvWrlRzkUI (external - login to view)

no new posts