Ebola virus now in the USA

B00Mer
American Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

CHICAGO/WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., July 31 (Reuters) - A U.S. aid worker who was infected with the deadly Ebola virus while working in West Africa will be flown to the United States to be treated in a high-security ward at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, hospital officials said on Thursday.

The aid worker, whose name has not been released, will be moved in the next several days to a special isolation unit at Emory. The unit was set up in collaboration with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

CDC spokeswoman Barbara Reynolds said her agency is working with the U.S. State Department to facilitate the transfer.

Reynolds said the CDC is not aware of any Ebola patient ever being treated in the United States, but five people in the past decade have entered the country with either Lassa Fever or Marburg Fever, hemorrhagic fevers similar to Ebola.

News of the transfer follows reports of the declining health of two infected U.S. aid workers, Dr. Kent Brantly and missionary Nancy Writebol, who contracted Ebola while working in Liberia on behalf of North Carolina-based Christian relief groups Samaritan's Purse and SIM.

"I remain hopeful and believing that Kent will be healed from this dreadful disease," Amber Brantly, the wife of Dr. Brantly, said in a statement.

Earlier on Thursday, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the State Department was working with the CDC on medical evacuations of infected American humanitarian aid workers.

The outbreak in West Africa is the worst in history, having killed more than 700 people since February. On Thursday, the CDC issued a travel advisory urging people to avoid all non-essential travel to Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the epicenter of the outbreak.

Brantly and Writebol "were in stable but grave" condition as of early Thursday morning, the relief organizations said. A spokeswoman for the groups could not confirm whether the patient being transferred to Emory was one of their aid workers.

CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden said in a conference call that transferring gravely ill patients has the potential to do more harm than good.

Meanwhile, the National Institutes of Health plans in mid-September to begin testing an experimental Ebola vaccine on people after seeing encouraging results in pre-clinical trials on monkeys, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the NIH's allergy and infectious diseases unit, said in an email.

In its final stages, Ebola causes external and internal bleeding, vomiting and diarrhea. About 60 percent of people infected in the current outbreak are dying from the illness.

Writebol, 59, received an experimental drug doctors hope will improve her health, SIM said. Brantly, 33, received a unit of blood from a 14-year-old boy who survived Ebola with the help of Brantly's medical care, said Franklin Graham, president of Samaritan's Purse.

Frieden could not comment on the specifics of either treatment, but said, "We have reviewed the evidence of the treatments out there and don't find any treatment that has proven effectiveness against Ebola." (Additional reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles; Editing by Will Dunham, Sandra Maler and Lisa Shumaker)

source: American Ebola Patient Coming To U.S. (external - login to view)

Twila
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
Wonder why they had to transport him...Shouldn't he have stayed there to prevent "it" travelling?

gore0bsessed
+1
Misleading title, makes it sound like there's an outbreak in the U.S.. The virus has always been in the U.S, in special biosafety level 4 buildings for research purposes.

gopher
+1
It's a conspiracy!

Perhaps Governor Jesse will chime in on this and let us know why the government is bringing in this hazard to our environs ...

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

Misleading title, makes it sound like there's an outbreak in the U.S.. The virus has always been in the U.S, in special biosafety level 4 buildings for research purposes.

Interesting, CDC says this the the FIRST time this virus will be in the USA.

"This is the first time an Ebola case will be on American soil."

foxnewsinsider.com/2014/07/31...t-us-treatment (external - login to view)

gore0bsessed
That's what happens when you get news from FauxNews...

Reston virus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Wonder why they had to transport him...Shouldn't he have stayed there to prevent "it" travelling?

Chances of survival are likely better on this side of "the pond"!

DaSleeper
+2

More lack of reading comprehension from our local single track mind....... the article said a live case patient......... Not the virus in a test tube....kapish?

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

1 over many though? There is nothing they can do once you have it but make sure you stay hydrated, and comfortable. You either live or you don't. (at least from what I've read about it recently) You will spread it and it does not die outside of the body AND unless you disinfect 100% properly the risk to infect others is far too high.

JLM

1 over many though? There is nothing they can do once you have it but make sure you stay hydrated, and comfortable. You either live or you don't. (at least from what I've read about it recently) You will spread it and it does not die outside of the body AND unless you disinfect 100% properly the risk to infect others is far too high.

Best just to keep it over there, I guess. Is a vaccine being developed for it?

gore0bsessed
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

More lack of reading comprehension from our local single track mind....... the article said a live case patient......... Not the virus in a test tube....kapish?

You should be studied by scientists to study the effects of prolonged exposure to FauxNews has on the IQ level.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Really? And Wikipedia is a trusted source. LOL

darkbeaver

Why did they deliver the ebola kits to DHS in april? Nothing like a disease to act as excuse to martial law. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they were passing out diseased blankets to the new immigrants. There is a patent for ebola ya know.

DaSleeper

You should be studied by scientists to study the effects of prolonged exposure to FauxNews has on the IQ level.

You should look in your own mirror...
You know the one that say "What you see is dumber than it appear"

Tonington

Best just to keep it over there, I guess. Is a vaccine being developed for it?

I don't think anyone is developing a human vaccine for ebola. There's no commercial value, and the development costs of a new human vaccine are huge. My opinion, short of having governments foot the development costs, the best case would be to develop some kind of vaccines for the animal populations that serve as reservoirs.

gore0bsessed
Even the reservoir for Ebola isn't known for sure but the fruit bat is suspected.

Tonington

Even the reservoir for Ebola isn't known for sure but the fruit bat is suspected.

So are pigs. Autogenous vaccines are far easier to get approved, they're cheap, and in some cases more effective than commercial vaccines. The epidemiology of ebola outbreaks suggests likely candidates.

kowalskil

I also think that chances to be cured are much higher in the US.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

MHz

1 over many though? There is nothing they can do once you have it but make sure you stay hydrated, and comfortable. You either live or you don't. (at least from what I've read about it recently)

The 1918 thing was 7 days after getting it. That being said in that 7 days the person had a very high fever and that would have included swelling of the brain so those things should have been treated (but weren't) to prevent that person from retaining some side effects from the fever and the things that went with that. Basic health today is keeping your blood a bit higher than 7.6 and using the more basic ways to increase your 02 intake. Going to a medical facility is where all the sick people will be gathering, I thinks my odds would be 5% higher if I went in the opposite direction. The 'unofficial' treatment for mange is 1%hydrogen peroxide in a solution saturated with borax, wet, let dry, wear as usual, 10 days later repeat, 10 days later repeat if you find any. Head-lice in kids requires something from Monsanto's lab and for dogs the mange treatment is the same but 20x more money. The alternative is $3 to treat the whole family for 3 years. That is what survival better be like or I want to be at the front of the line called 'causalities'. For this one I would certainly have the MMS treatment close by as it is another $3 product that can treat a whole village to stop a malaria outbreak. (CS is another product that only you can provide for yourself because the $20 it costs requires that you put the parts together and then it is a free product after that) If that doesn't work the shovel will be needed.

Quote: Originally Posted by kowalskilView Post

I also think that chances to be cured are much higher in the US.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

Isn't this the part of the movie where it mutates into a new strain? (and then escapes into the wild)