Here's a thought

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
How about the Pro Israeli--Pro Palestinian supporters put the shoe on the other foot and look at ways they can stop the bloodshed by actions of the side they support.

I'd be interested to see what people might have to say after a little self inventory of those they support.

Who wants to step up?

I'm guessing you're all in the middle. Right?

petros
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
I already pitched one in the thread of hate.

Let Palestine develope it's nat gas resources and they can buy out the settlements at cost.
A couple joint projects such as a power/desalination plant for domestic and agri usage. Between the two of them they could supply the ME will fresh fruit and veg.

You don't have time to squabble when everyone is busy working and raising families.

The ME will remain a f-cked up place until the extreme unemployment problem is tackled.
Last edited by petros; Jul 26th, 2014 at 09:50 PM..

SLM
+2
I have to ask, is this actually a solvable problem? I mean, not to be overly cynical here, but I look around and see people with no familial or cultural ties to either party in this conflict spewing such hatred and animosity. It baffles me. Does the bad blood run too deep for any kind of amicable solution to take hold?

Praxius
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I have to ask, is this actually a solvable problem? I mean, not to be overly cynical here, but I look around and see people with no familial or cultural ties to either party in this conflict spewing such hatred and animosity. It baffles me. Does the bad blood run too deep for any kind of amicable solution to take hold?

The only ties anybody in here has is that of a regular human being seeing other humans beings who just want to try and live their lives in peace but are being killed in the process of two military forces fighting each other.

Military Force or Terrorist or Freedom Fighter doesn't matter.... They have weapons and they intend to use them.

What is polarizing the subject is the continual reports of civilians being killed and wounded in the process.

Regardless of what side someone picks, most of those who have an interest in this subject have one because of the civilian tolls that keep getting bigger.

There is always blame to be tossed around, but whether someone wants to finger point or spout of who started what or spout off the Geneva Convention or human rights, most can agree that neither side is doing a good job in regards to preventing civilian deaths.

If it was a conflict where civilians could easily escape then both forces could air strike, tank shell, rocket or storm through tunnels all they want and most in the would wouldn't give a sh*t.

It's the human factor people are seeing that's the problem. Amongst all the propaganda and political spinning for supporters from all sides, it's the civilian deaths, injuries and continual suffering and poverty that's at the root of it all.

Can people in here think about what the other side goes through and possibly adjust their views?

I'm sure many in here are smart enough to put themselves in the other shoes as best they can, but their views and positions won't change.

A few years ago, say 8 year or so.... I actually supported Israel's position.... But then I looked a bit further into things and the situations that occurred in the last few conflicts Israel has been in has changed my views.

People will continue to have their positions and hold to them strong, just as I will.

In the end, none of us are going to make a difference and nothing said in these forums will change anything.... All we can do is watch the game play out on the TV and then b*tch to one another on whether it was offside or not and if the Ref made the right call.

darkbeaver
'By way of deception, thou shalt do war.' Any agreements with that ancient mindset is doomed to failure from the start. Every deal for peace without exception falls to that same dark commandment. Bad blood runs as deep as the good in the eternal conflict. This battle is permanent and fundamental to sentient beings and there is no escape while in the living body. The same difficult question has baffled every generation from the beginning and must baffle every generation to come. If you can slip your foot into the shoe of the deceiver you have already condemned your children to live by deceit and war.
Last edited by darkbeaver; Jul 27th, 2014 at 07:41 AM..

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

The only ties anybody in here has is that of a regular human being seeing other humans beings who just want to try and live their lives in peace but are being killed in the process of two military forces fighting each other.

Military Force or Terrorist or Freedom Fighter doesn't matter.... They have weapons and they intend to use them.

What is polarizing the subject is the continual reports of civilians being killed and wounded in the process.

Regardless of what side someone picks, most of those who have an interest in this subject have one because of the civilian tolls that keep getting bigger.

There is always blame to be tossed around, but whether someone wants to finger point or spout of who started what or spout off the Geneva Convention or human rights, most can agree that neither side is doing a good job in regards to preventing civilian deaths.

I can and do absolutely agree with that statement, but honestly I don't see very many others who do. I just don't see it expressed.

Quote:

If it was a conflict where civilians could easily escape then both forces could air strike, tank shell, rocket or storm through tunnels all they want and most in the would wouldn't give a sh*t.

It's the human factor people are seeing that's the problem. Amongst all the propaganda and political spinning for supporters from all sides, it's the civilian deaths, injuries and continual suffering and poverty that's at the root of it all.

Can people in here think about what the other side goes through and possibly adjust their views?

I'm sure many in here are smart enough to put themselves in the other shoes as best they can, but their views and positions won't change.

A few years ago, say 8 year or so.... I actually supported Israel's position.... But then I looked a bit further into things and the situations that occurred in the last few conflicts Israel has been in has changed my views.

People will continue to have their positions and hold to them strong, just as I will.

In the end, none of us are going to make a difference and nothing said in these forums will change anything.... All we can do is watch the game play out on the TV and then b*tch to one another on whether it was offside or not and if the Ref made the right call.

It's not about changing positions, I can fully accept the rationale and reasoning of someone who selects to provide more or all of their support to one side in this conflict over the other. But it is, more so than any other issue I've seen, more polarizing. I see genuine animosity and I'd have to say real hatred being expressed. And I do believe this issue is unique in that typically you only see such clear lines in the sand when people have a personal direct connection to a conflict.

And yes, I get the piece about the kindred human element, it's heartbreaking to see such high loss of life, to see parents mourning for their children. One would need to be cold and completely unfeeling not to be affected by that.

I have never been able to look at this issue and definitively say one side is clearly in the wrong. Sure individual incidents perhaps, but not in the overall. I don't see one side as a clear definitive victim, but both sides as participants in the continued perpetuation of suffering for each other. And I genuinely feel that I am in the minority in this, which is what leads me to question whether this is perhaps a completely unsolvable situation. At least unsolvable without complete annihilation of one side over the other, and that, to me, is no solution.

darkbeaver
"At least unsolvable without complete annihilation of one side over the other, and that, to me, is no solution."

In the big picture there is no solution to the natural process yet that attempt at solution has been exercised again and again in history right down to the slaughter of every living man woman and child of the hated enemy and smashing every foundation stone and salting the earth so that nothing would ever grow there again.
In the case of the present example 3.5 to 4 millions have already been exiled the rest live in fear and humiliation, one has to be blinded by futile hope that the course of events will not lead to complete disaster for the Palestinian people and the total ruin of Palestine. All of that because people refuse to believe history. Hope reigns eternal, the zionist knows this and plays it to fools.

lone wolf
+1
Tone down the religious fanatacism. You just may not be the key that winds the world - and what makes you feel comfort isn't likely to be the right tranquilizer for everyone