NHL warns hockey’s future threatened by climate change

mentalfloss

The NHL is calling climate change a threat to the future of the game of hockey.

“Before many of our players ever took their first stride on NHL ice, they honed their skills on the frozen lakes and ponds of North America and Europe,” NHL commissioner Gary

Bettman wrote in a letter accompanying the league’s 2014 NHL Sustainability Report.

“Our sport can trace its roots to frozen freshwater ponds, to cold climates.

“Major environmental challenges, such as climate change and freshwater scarcity, affect opportunities for hockey players of all ages to learn and play the game outdoors.”

The NHL’s report — part of the league’s NHL Green campaign — is touted as the first of its kind produced by a major sports league in North America. It examines the league’s carbon footprint and measures teams success in reducing waste and recycling.

The Maple Leafs, for example, reduced by 74 per cent the amount of landfill waste produced at the Air Canada Centre since 2007.

“This document is an important reminder to all sports fans, leagues, teams and businesses that while natural hockey ice might be the ‘canary in the coal mine’ when it comes to the effects of climate change on sports, the effects of climate disruption are a challenge to all leagues and businesses, and we must take meaningful action to reverse course,” said Dr.

Allen Hershkowitz of the Natural Resources Defence Council, who helped compile the report.

The league disclosed its carbon footprint — approximately 530,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions per year. This carbon emissions number accounts for league and club business activities and travel for over 182 game days, 1,230 regular-season games, over 60 playoff contests and nearly 3.2 million kilometres of team air travel per season.

By way of comparison, the annual emissions from the single largest coal power plant in the United States totals 23 million metric tons, according to the report.

“At the NHL, we recognize that we have great responsibility for the way we conduct our business, and we are uniquely positioned to promote the environmental message,” Bettman wrote.

Bettman wrote that the effort to reduce the NHL’s environment impact “is not only the right thing to do for the environment, but is also a core strategy for the long-term success of our league.

“We have a vested interest in this cause,” Bettman wrote. “As a business, we rely on fresh water to make our ice, on energy to fuel our operations and on healthy communities for our athletes, employees and fans to live, work and play. Moreover, to continue to stage world class outdoor hockey events like the NHL Winter Classic, NHL Heritage Classic or NHL Stadium Series, we need winter weather.”

The report looks at how the NHL is trying to reduce its carbon footprint, such as initiatives aimed at water and environmental restoration, like its Gallons for Goals and Hattricks for

Trees programs that put money back into the environment based on goals scored in games.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sport...te_change.html

gopher
+2
google kwikrink - problem solved

petros
+1
Quote:

“Before many of our players ever took their first stride on NHL ice, they honed their skills on the frozen lakes and ponds of North America and Europe,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

What century is he living in? Nobody has played hockey on lakes and ponds since post WWII.

gopher
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

What century is he living in? Nobody has played hockey on lakes and ponds since post WWII.

Well, some do here in Gopherland. I cannot speak for Canada but some here like the challenge of doing it on uneven ice even though there are plenty of indoor facilities for practice. Still, kwikrink is an alternative and, I'm sure there are others.

petros
Organised?

We have an outdoor league because indoor ice time is expensive and hard to get.

Post WWII every town, village or cluster of houses in Canada had a "Memorial Arena" and town hall built in it. Some got ammonia chillers to make ice, others just buildings to keep the snow and sun off the ice and fans and players out of the wind.

captain morgan
+3
#6  Top Rated Post
Alas.... Shall we never enjoy the traditional outdoor games in Los Angeles and New Mexico?

I..... Weep..... For.... The.... Children....

petros
New Mexico gets really freak in' cold.

captain morgan
+1
Bloody global warming

Locutus
this um, 'thread', came within a c*nt hair of going right into the deleted forum...just happened to be in a good pre Ford-Fest mood and chillin' to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds..."in his red right hand"

you're welcome

Nick Cave - Red Right Hand Live Glastonbury 1997avi - YouTube

petros
Only three more sleeps...

Locutus
+1
2...and my nipples are hard

talloola
good article, and outdoor rinks have been up and running, a long time after world war two, by communities
and back yards. gtetzky and many like him grew up playing outdoors in their backyards.

even here on the coast, a few energetic dads would organize a backyard rink, and scrape and flood it
each day, put up lights and one would see them out there in the dark playing and having so much fun.

of course the environment has changed a lot, as i remember parts of the fraser river freezing enough in
a winter for skating, and deer lake, and other local areas, but the winters have warmed up so much
since then, that would be almost non existent.

it is definitely something to think about, as those outdoor rinks are important. hockey in b.c. wasn't
up to par years ago, but has since risen to equal anything else in north america, and that is mainly
without outdoor rinks, (here on the coast),but then communites must put big dollars into building arenas to accomodate
the sport, but that also contributes to raising healthy active kids, who have something constructive
to do with their time. my daughters spent most of their winters in rinks, playing hockey and having
a blast, and became very good players, and now have those memories, which we all talk about from time
to time, great stories.

spaminator
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

does that mean that our beloved leafs won't be able to win the Stanley cup?

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

Worse... It means that hockey will be replaced with roller derby

Kreskin
An Onion article?

Locutus
+1
an mf article

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Worse... It means that hockey will be replaced with roller derby
[/FONT]

Which equates to overweight goth lesbians being national heroes doing 7-UP ads.

mentalfloss
Why would this be deleted?

I thought you guys loved Gary Bettman.

I thought you guys loves hockey.

This is just showing what a classy guy Gary is.

petros

That's funny.

wulfie68
Well Petros, as a kid growing up in Northern Alberta in the 70s, organized minor hockey (and figure skating) took place in the indoor rink, but many people had back yard rinks in the winter for their kids, and the town I lived in had a couple outdoor rinks (in the school yards mostly) for public use... and they were usually utilized pretty heavily by kids and families. As an adult, I played rec hockey in places that utilized natural ice and only had a building for changing and keeping the elements off the players and spectators. Its not that uncommon.

Now I don't buy into the hype but I have to say Bettman gets points for hopping on the eco-bandwagon to drum up support for the league...

petros
I had all that available too but team x never went to team z's pond to play. That world died in the late 40s.

Locutus

he's a joop and you know how we feel about them.

oh, and he's a lawyer.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

NEVER !
never, ever, again.
Helluva thing to blame it on.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

he's a joop and you know how we feel about them.

oh, and he's a lawyer.

So what?

petros
They don't play sports. It's genetic.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2

mentalfloss
Nice one RCS.

Climate Change, Warming Winters A Threat To Hockey's Long-Term Viability: NHL 2014 Sustainability Report (external - login to view)

petros
The ammonia ice freezing systems will what from global warming?