I don't think $100.00 will cover that fine.......

tay
+1
It's a feeling many keen readers have had - finding a library book that's past its return-by date and knowing there will be a penalty to pay for forgetfulness.

But for one man that feeling must have stirred a deep sense of embarrassment, because the compensation he voluntarily offered was way beyond anything ever previously recalled by library staff in Courtenay.

For the book had been borrowed 30 years ago, and has only just been returned - and in a bid to make amends, the borrower slipped a note of explanation inside the cover, along with $100 in cash.

The book, 'Camping and Woodcraft' by Horace Kephart, is a classic of its genre. It was borrowed from the shelves at the old Courtenay Library back in 1984 and returned to Prince George Library a few days ago.

A note accompanying it read: "To whom it may concern. From Courtenay Library - please find $100 for courier back to Courtenay and for overdue. I shall contact you next week to ensure all is in order. Thanks."

To make sure the bills and note were secure when the book was dropped off, the package was carefully tied up with yellow flagging tape.

Sorry I'm a bit late returning this book - will $100 cover it? - Local - Comox Valley Echo (external - login to view)

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Sorry I'm a bit late returning this book - will $100 cover it? - Local - Comox Valley Echo (external - login to view)

that is wonderful...30 years, wow

anyone have any recommendations on an e-reader, what you like about yours and what I should avoid?

it has to be capable of library download

thanks

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

that is wonderful...30 years, wow

anyone have any recommendations on an e-reader, what you like about yours and what I should avoid?

it has to be capable of library download

thanks

I just use my iPad. It's multi purpose.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I just use my iPad. It's multi purpose.

what is the difference between an iPad and an e-reader?

do you download from the library?

do you use it outside?

I want to be able to use it for outdoor reading and carry it in my purse like I would a book.

SLM
+1

what is the difference between an iPad and an e-reader?

do you download from the library?

do you use it outside?

I want to be able to use it for outdoor reading and carry it in my purse like I would a book.

As I understand it, an e-reader is just that. An e-reader and nothing else.

With my iPad, I can use email, surf the web, even message others with an Apple product provided they are in my contact list. I have a recipe app on my iPad that I take into the kitchen with me (no more printing or bulky laptop to make room for), I take it to bed with me and read or even sometimes come onto the forum. I have a Kindle App on mine so I can download books intended for the Kindle as well as from iTunes. Don't know about libraries, you'd need to check with them I guess.

If you have no use for that, then get an e-reader. Kindle or Kobo, I've heard nothing bad about either one. I think the price point is around $130 or so.

If you do though, the iPad Mini might be more your speed if you go that route. (It's smaller and will fit in just about any handbag) I just bought one for my daughter for her birthday, $300 at Best Buy, 16G, no data plan but it does have WiFi.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

As I understand it, an e-reader is just that. An e-reader and nothing else.

With my iPad, I can use email, surf the web, even message others with an Apple product provided they are in my contact list. I have a recipe app on my iPad that I take into the kitchen with me (no more printing or bulky laptop to make room for), I take it to bed with me and read or even sometimes come onto the forum. I have a Kindle App on mine so I can download books intended for the Kindle as well as from iTunes. Don't know about libraries, you'd need to check with them I guess.

If you have no use for that, then get an e-reader. Kindle or Kobo, I've heard nothing bad about either one. I think the price point is around $130 or so.

If you do though, the iPad Mini might be more your speed if you go that route. (It's smaller and will fit in just about any handbag) I just bought one for my daughter for her birthday, $300 at Best Buy, 16G, no data plan but it does have WiFi.

thanks, that is wonderful information...I just need basic for reading.

Kindle or Kobo it will be then

DaSleeper
+1
What I like about the KOBO is the battery life compared to my Samsung Galaxy....
I can read a 3 or 4 hundred page book with the Kobo without recharging...and the Samsung Galaxy after 5 to 7hours of reading depending of the level of back-light is used...
There is also a big difference in purchase price.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

What I like about the KOBO is the battery life compared to my Samsung Galaxy....
I can read a 3 or 4 hundred page book with the Kobo without recharging...and the Samsung Galaxy after 5 to 7hours of reading depending of the level of back-light is used...
There is also a big difference in purchase price.

Battery life...thanks for that...Das can you use it outside?

DaSleeper
+1

Battery life...thanks for that...Das can you use it outside?

Yup, but not if it's raining, or -20....

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Yup, but not if it's raining, or -20....

I promise only to use it in the sun/shade on clear days.

gopher
+2
#11  Top Rated Post
We have a community room and library in the building where I live. Whenever any tenant finishes with a book he or she often brings it downstairs to the library so that neighbors can enjoy reading it. I've put in several dozens books and magazines over the years and enjoy sharing them with friends.

A few weeks ago I noticed a book that appeared to have an active public library account. When I emailed the St Paul Public Library they told me that, indeed, that book is active and had been missing for over 7 years.

Had a fine been imposed on the culprit responsible for this delinquency, the amount would have been $638.75!

365 days x 7 years or 2555 days x .25 per day = $638.75

Imagine paying that kind of money for a book that so few people really wanted to read!

Dixie Cup
+1
I use my Kobo and absolutely love it. I can download from the library or from Kobo itself - often get books from Kobo either free for for .99 cents to $1.99 - The most current books are, obviously, more expensive but I can wait. We spend out weekends in the summer out camping and the beauty of my Kobo is that I don't need a light to read at night and disturb anyone else who may be asleep. As for the charging - maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks - and that's reading it on a daily basis.

Beats packing around a bunch of books - especially when travelling. You can download a "ton" of books before you go.

JMO

And yes, I read it outside - you can adjust the lighting at night and turn if off during the day. You can adjust the font, the alignment of the page etc. Great invention!

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

We have a community room and library in the building where I live. Whenever any tenant finishes with a book he or she often brings it downstairs to the library so that neighbors can enjoy reading it. I've put in several dozens books and magazines over the years and enjoy sharing them with friends.

We do too...it's a brilliant happening. Recently we had a new move in and she is a former librarian. She has now begun a catalog system...take any book, bring it back throw it into the basket and she even shelves it.

Quote:

A few weeks ago I noticed a book that appeared to have an active public library account. When I emailed the St Paul Public Library they told me that, indeed, that book is active and had been missing for over 7 years.

that's pretty cool

Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie CupView Post

I use my Kobo and absolutely love it. I can download from the library or from Kobo itself - often get books from Kobo either free for for .99 cents to $1.99 - The most current books are, obviously, more expensive but I can wait. We spend out weekends in the summer out camping and the beauty of my Kobo is that I don't need a light to read at night and disturb anyone else who may be asleep. As for the charging - maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks - and that's reading it on a daily basis.

Beats packing around a bunch of books - especially when travelling. You can download a "ton" of books before you go.

JMO

And yes, I read it outside - you can adjust the lighting at night and turn if off during the day. You can adjust the font, the alignment of the page etc. Great invention!

thanks Dixie Cup...that sounds exactly like what I am looking for

shadowshiv
+1
Isn't there a cap in place so that the maximum fine is a certain amount, or does it differ library to library? If there isn't a cap, why would anyone want to spend hundreds of dollars on a book that costs less than $10. And I know about "stocking fees" and all that, but still...

For myself, I don't forsee ever reading books via an e-reader. I like having a physical copy of a book in my hands when I read. I don't begrudge people wanting to have alternate methods of reading, but for me, books are the way to go.

Sal
guys thanks zillions for the e-reader input...it helped in directing me in my research

best reader to meet my current needs will be a Kobo Glo for 130.00

I am going to watch for upcoming specials

I registered today at the library online and can put books on hold on line.

so happy

thanks guys

sorry for diverting your thread tay

Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Isn't there a cap in place so that the maximum fine is a certain amount, or does it differ library to library? If there isn't a cap, why would anyone want to spend hundreds of dollars on a book that costs less than $10. And I know about "stocking fees" and all that, but still...

For myself, I don't forsee ever reading books via an e-reader. I like having a physical copy of a book in my hands when I read. I don't begrudge people wanting to have alternate methods of reading, but for me, books are the way to go.

I would imagine they would cap the fine at the cost of replacing the book...at least I would hope so

as for holding the book shadow, I am hoping I adjust quickly, but I will let you know