Michigan student won't be charged in Visine poisoning

spaminator
Kevin Murphy, REUTERS
First posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 06:54 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, July 12, 2014 07:11 PM EDT
No charges will be filed against a Michigan high school student who was accused of sickening a teacher by putting Visine eye solution in her coffee, a prosecutor said on Saturday.
Police in Fowlerville, Mich., had recommended felony charges of tampering with a food or drink product be filed against the Fowlerville High School student, who school officials said made an algebra teacher very ill by placing Visine in her coffee for several days in mid-May.
The student, not identified because he is under 18, was suspended for a full school year, Fowlerville Community Schools Superintendent Wayne Roedel said after the incident.
Livingston County Prosecutor William Vailliencourt, Jr. said there was not enough evidence to charge the student, even though the school district found reason to suspend him.
"The administrative standards governing decisions by schools to impose discipline are different than the stricter constitutional and legal standards that apply to criminal cases," Vailliencourt said.
Roedel said earlier that the motive for the tampering was unknown but that the student may have seen the Visine added to a drink as a practical joke in movies. The adding of eye drops to a drink in the 2005 movie comedy "Wedding Crashers" was seen to cause vomiting.
Visine has the ingredient Tetrahydrozoline, which the National Institutes of Health has said can, if ingested, cause low body temperature, nausea, vomiting, difficulty breathing and other symptoms. The Visine label urges consumers to get immediate medical attention or go to a poison control center if the product is swallowed.
Michigan student won't be charged in Visine poisoning | World | News | Toronto S (external - login to view)

Sal
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
so buddy could potentially have killed someone as a lark, just for sh*ts and giggles because of course adding a chemical to coffee which could cause : low body temperature, nausea, vomiting, difficulty breathing and other symptoms, is a normal thing for anyone to do

they had better be watching this kid, he is either a budding sociopath or has an I.Q. of just under 90

Nuggler
A buddy and I contemplated putting phenolphthalein in the lunch room coffee machine

Just for sh*ts and giggles. Mostly for sh*ts

We had lots of it as it was used as a reagent in the lab.

Someone could have died

We digressed

good decision

.................but there was this ONE foreman................................ooooooooo oh the temptation !

Doing bad things on the graveyard shift sometimes seem ok.

We're just too christian normal sometimes.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

A buddy and I contemplated putting phenolphthalein in the lunch room coffee machine

Just for sh*ts and giggles. Mostly for sh*ts

We had lots of it as it was used as a reagent in the lab.

Someone could have died

We digressed

good decision

.................but there was this ONE foreman................................ooooooooo oh the temptation !

Doing bad things on the graveyard shift sometimes seem ok.

We're just too christian normal sometimes.

lmao...well I'm not Christian and I don't think I have ever been normal and my sense of humor is extremely black, but even I have my limits

I'm adverse to putting anything into someone's food...

part of why the Hannibal series has me freaked out beyond what it should...it's a trust thing...we trust those around us to limit the frivolity to an acceptable range, causing someone to ingest chemicals without a certainty of the reaction is way too dangerous

QuebecCanadian
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

Kevin Murphy, REUTERS
First posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 06:54 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, July 12, 2014 07:11 PM EDT
No charges will be filed against a Michigan high school student who was accused of sickening a teacher by putting Visine eye solution in her coffee, a prosecutor said on Saturday.
Police in Fowlerville, Mich., had recommended felony charges of tampering with a food or drink product be filed against the Fowlerville High School student, who school officials said made an algebra teacher very ill by placing Visine in her coffee for several days in mid-May.
The student, not identified because he is under 18, was suspended for a full school year, Fowlerville Community Schools Superintendent Wayne Roedel said after the incident.
Livingston County Prosecutor William Vailliencourt, Jr. said there was not enough evidence to charge the student, even though the school district found reason to suspend him.
"The administrative standards governing decisions by schools to impose discipline are different than the stricter constitutional and legal standards that apply to criminal cases," Vailliencourt said.
Roedel said...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Unless they don't have witnesses I would fight this as the teacher (AND the school). Sue his parents if you have to. The school had enough evidence to believe it was him. What's the problem?? This kid needs some sort of discipline other than a slap on the wrist!

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by QuebecCanadianView Post

Unless they don't have witnesses I would fight this as the teacher (AND the school). Sue his parents if you have to. The school had enough evidence to believe it was him. What's the problem?? This kid needs some sort of discipline other than a slap on the wrist!

Yes but a school doesn't need to apply the same standards as a court of law. Beyond a reasonable doubt.

Still it's scary that someone of that age could either be that stupid or vicious.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Yes but a school doesn't need to apply the same standards as a court of law. Beyond a reasonable doubt.

Still it's scary that someone of that age could either be that stupid or vicious.

Civil court also does not have the same standards. They could probably sue the kids *** off.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Civil court also does not have the same standards. They could probably sue the kids *** off.

Sure, but I meant because the county prosecutor had declined to lay criminal charges.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sure, but I meant because the county prosecutor had declined to lay criminal charges.

I know. I was just adding to your statement.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I know. I was just adding to your statement.

Ah, okay. Thought you were countering it, lol.

It's all cool. I'd say sue the little bastard.....let him start off his adult life with a huge judgement against him.

QuebecCanadian
+1

Ah, okay. Thought you were countering it, lol.

It's all cool. I'd say sue the little bastard.....let him start off his adult life with a huge judgement against him.

O.J. lost civilly even though he was found not guilty criminally. It IS the States after all.

no new posts