OxyContin and other opioids tied to 1 in 8 deaths in young adults

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Use of opioids such as OxyContin and codeine is a leading cause of death in young adults, say researchers in Ontario who reviewed coroner reports from a period of nearly 20 years.

Rates of opioid-related deaths are increasing rapidly in the province and are concentrated among the young — a substantial burden of disease, the researchers say in Monday’s issue of the journal Addiction.

"We found that among those individuals aged between 25 and 34 years, that approximately one out of every eight deaths were related to opioid overdoses," said study author Tara Gomes, a scientist at the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute at Toronto’s St. Michael’s Hospital.

"We hadn't quite anticipated that there were would be such a large prevalence of opioid-related deaths in these younger populations and that it would be really one of the leading causes of death in these younger adults."

The findings underline the urgent need to change perceptions on the safety of the medications, the researchers concluded.

more

OxyContin and other opioids tied to 1 in 8 deaths in young adults, Ontario study shows - Health - CBC News

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
[...] Gomes and her team reviewed 5,935 opioid-related deaths in Ontario between 1991 and 2010

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oxy and Opiates are an epidemic here in Massachusetts.

Thanks Mini-Me!

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Until they come up with a drug that can kill pain and have no other effects other than killing pain this will be an issue.

For the chronic pain patient opiates are a way of life.

The morals surrounding these drugs is as dangerous as the drugs themselves.

Certain patients will have to live on these drugs, as do heart patients, mentally depressed patients and cancer patients and most patients.

It's ok to make a depressed person happy with Prozac, but heaven forbid if the drug you give the chronic pain sufferer induces euphoric moments.
We as a society need to grow up and most of the problems ailing us are moralists who have it wrong

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have Oxycocet in my cabinet, written right below it Oxycodone/ HLC/ haven't used it so far but it wasn't hard to get...

I don't do well with drugs, they are best avoided...I hate the spacey out of control feeling