American Apparel apologizes for Challenger disaster photo

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
American Apparel apologizes for Challenger disaster photo
Just in time for the Fourth of July, clothing retailer American Apparel posted a photo of the space shuttle Challenger disaster, which it says an employee mistook for fireworks.
Seven astronauts — all Americans — died Jan. 28, 1986, when the Challenger exploded less than two minutes into its flight.
On Thursday, on the eve of U.S. independence celebrations, American Apparel put a colour-enhanced photo of the Challenger blast on its Tumblr account with the tags "Smoke" and "Clouds."
Some users took screenshots before the company took down the post and later apologized, blaming the gaffe on a young, foreign employee.
"The image was re-blogged by one of our international social media employees who was born after the tragedy and was unaware of the event," the company tweeted.
American Apparel, founded by Montreal native Dov Charney, is no stranger to controversy. Last year it was criticized for selling a T-shirt called "Period Power" that depicted a bleeding ******.
Last month, the company's board ousted chairman and CEO Charney because of allegations of misconduct.

American Apparel apologizes for Challenger disaster photo | Fashion | Life | Tor

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
wtf....a media genius, good lord...oops

didn't take modern history apparently

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ouch - that's one of those moments in life where you remember precisely where you were when it happened. Terrible tragedy.

Yep. I can remember watching the broadcast live on television and thinking to myself "that just exploded, why is the announcer talking like nothing's happened?". Later, when they media focus was heavily on Christie McCauliffe, they were talking about her husband and classroom watching as it happened and it dawned on me, how horrible it has to be to watch your loved one die right before your eyes and yet not be with them when they pass.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
(outsourced) social media employee eh...not checking the image details/title from the site they lifted it from?...I'd wager just about anyone 'born after the event' still knows what that iconic image is...I don't buy it for a minute no matter how often they try and sell it to me.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
(outsourced) social media employee eh...not checking the image details/title from the site they lifted it from?...I'd wager just about anyone 'born after the event' still knows what that iconic image is...I don't buy it for a minute no matter how often they try and sell it to me.

I bet they are outsourced, EI.