Abortion vs death penalty double standard

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Abortion vs death penalty double standard (Liberals)

I always find it illustrative to point out how the liberals have double standards for everything. “Do as I say, not as I do.” We see it all the time, most often lately in doing things 100x worse than what they complained about under Bush. But perhaps the perfect example of how they view the world is looking at abortion vs the death penalty – here’s a very narrow example comparing “pain” involved in each.

Liberals hate the death penalty – the one for criminals that is. They love to spend lots of taxpayer dollars getting death penalty cases tied up the court system forever. Their solution is to eliminate the death penalty completely of course. A good example of their efforts was in Baze v. Rees. It argued that the the three-drug “cocktail” used by many states could lead to suffering for a moment between two of the drugs in the sequence. Eventually the Supreme Court ruled 7-2 that method was okay after all. Baze got to live an extra 15 years thanks to all these taxpayer-funded appeals and arguments. All he did to get on death row was to shoot two cops in the back multiple times with an assault rifle.

But now let’s look at the other side and consider possible pain and suffering when it comes to abortion. Nebraska is debating a bill that would make all abortions after the 20th week illegal because of the suffering of the baby vs the current law there that looks at viability on a case by case basis. I’ve emphasized a few words to show how ABC tries to paint this as an extreme notion.

The bright-line rule is necessary because of some medical evidence that a fetus can feel pain at that stage of gestation, sponsors of the legislation say.

The legislation has drawn national attention from groups such as the Center for Reproductive Rights, which sees it as a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, the 1973 case that legalized abortion. If the legislation passes, Nebraska will be the first state to ban abortions based on the controversial notion that a fetus can feel pain at 20 weeks.

The same sort of liberals who didn’t want criminals to allegedly suffer for a moment just before death are absolutely outraged at this idea. They are worried because with the Roberts court having already okayed partial birth abortion bans in Gonzales v. Carhart that they might allow another “pillar” of Roe v. Wade to be chopped down by setting a fixed limit – a “bright line” – on viability.

So when you compare and contrast the two, you find that a “true” liberal believes that:

There should be zero chance of any suffering for even the most heinous criminals while they work toward the ultimate goal of having no executions.

There should be zero consideration of any suffering for babies in the womb while they work toward the ultimate goal of having no abortion restrictions.

source: Abortion vs death penalty double standard | RedState

When Does a Baby Have A Heartbeat? | New Health Guide

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
In the US most Liberals seem to be in favour of both - including Obama. So really, where is the hypocrisy if so many liberals are pro-death penalty?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I always find it illustrative to point out how the liberals have double standards for everything. “Do as I say, not as I do.” We see it all the time, most often lately in doing things 100x worse than what they complained about under Bush. But perhaps the perfect example of how they view the world is looking at abortion vs the death penalty – here’s a very narrow example comparing “pain” involved in each.

Liberals hate the death penalty – the one for criminals that is. They love to spend lots of taxpayer dollars getting death penalty cases tied up the court system forever. Their solution is to eliminate the death penalty completely of course. A good example of their efforts was in Baze v. Rees. It argued that the the three-drug “cocktail” used by many states could lead to suffering for a moment between two of the drugs in the sequence. Eventually the Supreme Court ruled 7-2 that method was okay after all. Baze got to live an extra 15 years thanks to all these taxpayer-funded appeals and arguments. All he did to get on death row was to shoot two cops in the back multiple times with an assault rifle.

But now let’s look at the other side and consider possible pain and suffering when it comes to abortion. Nebraska is debating a bill that would make all abortions after the 20th week illegal because of the suffering of the baby vs the current law there that looks at viability on a case by case basis. I’ve emphasized a few words to show how ABC tries to paint this as an extreme notion.

The bright-line rule is necessary because of some medical evidence that a fetus can feel pain at that stage of gestation, sponsors of the legislation say.

The legislation has drawn national attention from groups such as the Center for Reproductive Rights, which sees it as a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, the 1973 case that legalized abortion. If the legislation passes, Nebraska will be the first state to ban abortions based on the controversial notion that a fetus can feel pain at 20 weeks.

The same sort of liberals who didn’t want criminals to allegedly suffer for a moment just before death are absolutely outraged at this idea. They are worried because with the Roberts court having already okayed partial birth abortion bans in Gonzales v. Carhart that they might allow another “pillar” of Roe v. Wade to be chopped down by setting a fixed limit – a “bright line” – on viability.

So when you compare and contrast the two, you find that a “true” liberal believes that:

There should be zero chance of any suffering for even the most heinous criminals while they work toward the ultimate goal of having no executions.

There should be zero consideration of any suffering for babies in the womb while they work toward the ultimate goal of having no abortion restrictions.

source: Abortion vs death penalty double standard | RedState

When Does a Baby Have A Heartbeat? | New Health Guide

Yep, about as hypocritical as you can get. Oops I just about forgot...............abortions aren't performed on people!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In the US most Liberals seem to be in favour of both - including Obama. So really, where is the hypocrisy if so many liberals are pro-death penalty?
You don't understand. To right-wingers, libruls believe whatever right-wingers say they believe.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I'm in favor of death penalty with controls and regs to prevent most cases of abuse.
I'm in favor of abortion with controls and regs to prevent most cases of abuse.

The controls and regs need to be a contiually reviewed and refined process, not something written in stone.

Does that make me a liberal or a con?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm in favor of death penalty with controls and regs to prevent most cases of abuse.
I'm in favor of abortion with controls and regs to prevent most cases of abuse.

The controls and regs need to be a contiually reviewed and refined process, not something written in stone.

Does that make me a liberal or a con?

Yes.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The term "liberal" has quite a different meaning in Canada than it has in the U.S. In the U.S. a liberal is some kind of left wing democrat. In Canada a liberal is a member of the Liberal party. We elect Liberals till we are sick of them and then we put in the Conservatives until we tire of them and on we go. Right now we are seeing the Conservatives in the second half of their mandate.
We once had a death penalty but we don't now. Abortion is available for a number of reasons,

00chuffer

May 10, 2011
Why is this propaganda article from the US still on this Canadian news site? Isn't it enough that US politicians come up to Canada with their NGO's and corporate donors to try and destroy the health system, split Quebec and otherwise negatively affect Canada with US style religious fascism. The Kentucky governor has paid to start an anti-cannabis campaign this summer in Canada. Why does he care what happens here? Look in to it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Why is this propaganda article from the US still on this Canadian news site?
Because a) this isn't a Canadian news site and b) the people who own and operate this site (that'd be not you) decided it's OK.

Isn't it enough that US politicians come up to Canada with their NGO's and corporate donors to try and destroy the health system, split Quebec and otherwise negatively affect Canada with US style religious fascism.
Apparently not.
The Kentucky governor has paid to start an anti-cannabis campaign this summer in Canada. Why does he care what happens here? Look in to it.
Because it competes with Kentucky wood-alcohol poisonous moonshine. It's a NAFTA thing.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Well considering how social conservatives reverse this, you could say both "conservatives" and "liberals" apply a double standard. (Note for Juan: note the small "c" and "l". These groups do exist in both countries, and are not just limited to their namesake parties in Canada.)