I mean, you know, I'm a conscientious person

Locutus
Study: People who use 'like' as a linguistic crutch tend to be more thoughtful

Study also finds that virtually everyone frequently punctuates their verbal communication with "uh" and "um."

A new study published by the Journal of Language and Social Psychology says that individuals who use filler words such as "you know," "um" and "like" are more likely to be self-aware and socially conscientious.

Researchers at the University of Texas studied the use of filler words in 263 transcriptions of conversations from five separate studies. They identified five commonly-used linguistic crutches and broke them into two categories -- filled pauses and discourse markers.

Filled pauses "uh" and "um" were used indiscriminately (external - login to view) by all participants. However, discourse markers "I mean," "you know" and "like" were most common among young people, women and those who were more conscientious than most.

"The possible explanation for this association is that conscientious people are generally more thoughtful and aware of themselves and their surroundings," the study says (external - login to view).
"When having conversations with listeners, conscientious people use discourse markers, such as 'I mean' and 'you know,' to imply their desire to share or rephrase opinions to recipients. Thus it is expected that the use of discourse markers may be used to measure the degree to which people have thoughts to express."

New study says we're like, you know, really thoughtful and stuff - UPI.com (external - login to view)

thoughtful...

simply because some minimizing, peabody, head-shrinking association says it is does not necessarily make it so.

some uh, politicians uh, are uh, pretty good at uh, pulling this uh sh!t too.

Twila
+1
well this IS a game changer (I don't know how to make the font purple). When I was growing up, I was told to avoid using "linguistic crutches" because it makes you sound like you are unsure of what your speaking about. Times are a changin. I prefer that people don't pepper their talk with "like". I can handle some uhms but too many have me wishing they would hurry up and finish speaking.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
I thought they were just from the valley.

Locutus
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

well this IS a game changer (I don't know how to make the font purple). When I was growing up, I was told to avoid using "linguistic crutches" because it makes you sound like you are unsure of what your speaking about. Times are a changin. I prefer that people don't pepper their talk with "like". I can handle some uhms but too many have me wishing they would hurry up and finish speaking.

Highlight your text (all or part), then click the big 'A' above next to font type and font size. It has a black drop-down arrow to the right side. Click the colored tile you want your text to be.

Highlight your text (all or part), then click the big 'A' above next to font type and font size. It has a black drop-down arrow to the right side. Click the colored tile you want your text to be.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I thought they were just from the valley.

eh ?

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

eh ?

They didn't like study 'eh'. They like studied 'like' eh?

Locutus
+1
Chief Givem Good Speech

Uh Er Um The Most Eloquent Uh President Er In History - YouTube

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Show off

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

They didn't like study 'eh'. They like studied 'like' eh?

that's like totally gnarly dude.

Locutus

Show off

that's like totally gnarly dude.

that sh!t took awhile to do miss...I even included the clear text...I don't do that for just anybody around here.

Twila

that sh!t took awhile to do miss...I even included the clear text...I don't do that for just anybody around here.

oh I hadn't noticed the clear text. I feel terrible.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

oh I hadn't noticed the clear text. I feel terrible.

It's not really clear text. It's white text. Don't let him fool you that you got something you clearly (or not so clearly) did not.

Corduroy

Chief Givem Good Speech

This is actually kinda soothing.

DaSleeper
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

This is actually kinda soothing.

I'm not surprised!

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

I'm not surprised!

As they say...you can't write this sh*t.

petros
Women who talk like gay men rank where on the list?

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Women who talk like gay men rank where on the list?

Ah...ending statements with an interrogative lilt.

Kreskin

Chief Givem Good Speech

Someday I'm going to be a statistician who measures Presidential Um's and Urs. A very lucrative career.

petros

Ah...ending statements with an interrogative lilt.

They piss off gay men which isn't very smart.

Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Someday I'm going to be a statistician who measures Presidential Um's and Urs. A very lucrative career.

If I had a nickel for every um and er, I'd um, uh, er ah. Yeah.