Google’s Diversity Disclosure: What Happens Next?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A lot can be said about Google’s decision to release data about the makeup of its workforce last week.

Statistically speaking, the numbers do not look good for Google: 30% of its employees are female, while only 2% are African American and 3% are Hispanic. But the fact that the tech giant opened up about its struggles with diversity and inclusion is a huge step in the right direction, according to one D&I professional.

“Google got it right,” said Leah Smiley, president of the Society for Diversity. “They were forthcoming about the problem in an effort to seek multiple solutions. It presents an opportunity for them to achieve diversity of thought or different perspectives about this issue of underrepresentation of diverse groups.”

In a blog post, Google Senior Vice President of People Operations Laszlo Bock wrote that the company realized it was wrong to not be transparent about the issue.

“Put simply, Google is not where we want to be when it comes to diversity, and it’s hard to address these kinds of challenges if you’re not prepared to discuss them openly and with the facts,” he wrote.

But what can Google—or any other organization that struggles with diversity—do to become more inclusive?

Google’s Diversity Disclosure: What Happens Next?: Associations Now

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
A lot can be said about Google’s decision to release data about the makeup of its workforce last week.

Statistically speaking, the numbers do not look good for Google: 30% of its employees are female, while only 2% are African American and 3% are Hispanic. But the fact that the tech giant opened up about its struggles with diversity and inclusion is a huge step in the right direction, according to one D&I professional.

“Google got it right,” said Leah Smiley, president of the Society for Diversity. “They were forthcoming about the problem in an effort to seek multiple solutions. It presents an opportunity for them to achieve diversity of thought or different perspectives about this issue of underrepresentation of diverse groups.”

In a blog post, Google Senior Vice President of People Operations Laszlo Bock wrote that the company realized it was wrong to not be transparent about the issue.

“Put simply, Google is not where we want to be when it comes to diversity, and it’s hard to address these kinds of challenges if you’re not prepared to discuss them openly and with the facts,” he wrote.

But what can Google—or any other organization that struggles with diversity—do to become more inclusive?

Google’s Diversity Disclosure: What Happens Next?: Associations Now

Google.... the internet.... computer programming & code

It's not surprising that most of their employers would be:

^ Like this guy who have spent all their time on computers, gaming and D&D..... they're probably the most qualified.

Statistically speaking, most Computer Nerds are White Males..... or cool guys from China.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
A few years ago I sent Google my resume and they wouldn't take me despite my two collegiate degrees. I'm about as nerdy as anyone can get but somehow didn't meet their needs.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
A few years ago I sent Google my resume and they wouldn't take me despite my two collegiate degrees. I'm about as nerdy as anyone can get but somehow didn't meet their needs.

The Devil's Advocate question is: Are you being discriminated against?

Age, qualifications, culture, etc.

It is a real Pandora's Box that is being opened here, certainly not limited to 1 or 2 races and gender