Who Wants the 2022 Olympics?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The next Olympics to be awarded, a little more than a year from now, will be the 2022 Winter Games. Rather than going to the strongest bid, the games may end up going to the last city standing—a long list of potential hosts have given up on their Olympic dreams because the whole thing is one huge, useless waste of money.

Yesterday, Krakow, Poland, officially withdrew its bid for the games, a day after a citywide referendum where 70 percent of voters came out against hosting the Olympics. "Krakow is closing its efforts to be the host of the 2022 Winter Games due to the low support for the idea among the residents," said mayor Jacek Majchrowski.

In January, another of the six original finalists pulled out, when Stockholm, Sweden's ruling political party declined to fund the games. They cited the pointlessness of paying hundreds of millions for facilities that would be used for two weeks and then rarely again, a story common to almost all Olympic hosts. "Arranging a Winter Olympics would mean a big investment in new sports facilities, for example for the bobsleigh and luge," the Moderate party said in a statement. "There isn't any need for that type of that kind of facility after an Olympics."

In November, voters in Munich, Germany, rejected a proposed Olympic bid. "The vote is not a signal against the sport," said one lawmaker, "but against the non-transparency and the greed for profit of the IOC."

Last March, a joint bid from Davos/St. Moritz, Switzerland, fell apart after being rejected by a public referendum.

Of the four remaining finalists, two are in rough shape. The Oslo, Norway, bid is falling apart. It was supported by a razor-thin margin in a September referendum, but public opposition has only grown since then. And on Sunday, the junior member of the government coalition voted against funding any Olympics. For them to go on, it would require an unprecedented alliance between the ruling Conservatives and the opposition Labour party.

The Lviv, Ukraine, bid seems dead in the water with the turmoil and war in the country. "Currently our dream is on hold," said the bid's chief.

There are only two healthy bids: Almaty, Kazakhstan, and Beijing, China. One's an oil-rich state ruled by a president-for-life, and the other's, well, China. That's no coincidence. With the Sochi games raising the bar to an absurd $51 billion, hosting the Olympics no longer looks like a winning proposition. The failed and aborted 2022 candidacies all have one thing in common: When actual citizens are allowed to have a say, they say they don't want the Olympics.

Nobody Wants To Host The 2022 Olympics

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The next Olympics to be awarded, a little more than a year from now, will be the 2022 Winter Games. Rather than going to the strongest bid, the games may end up going to the last city standing—a long list of potential hosts have given up on their Olympic dreams because the whole thing is one huge, useless waste of money.

This is Inuvik's big chance!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If we captured the human energy wasted entire during the Olympic games in real events like oyster shucking, firewood splitting, highway garbage cleanup, farm harvesting events, sheep shearing, affordable housing construction etc etc then these opulent evil and wasteful carnivals of stupid might someday be forgotten as monumental proof of human excess. Work will set us free, fiddling away the sunlight hoping to win a chunk of base medal sweating for nothing is perhaps the stupidest human activity ever devised. Who gives a fock if runner A is fifteen hundreds of a second faster than runner B? Where's my firewood?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Those venues should be converted to production installations. There is no way to justify massive waste of energy and time. They don't drink they don't do drugs,they claim, and they produce nothing, how are athletic do nothings better than strung out crack heads? I want units of production, stuff the ribbons.

It's time to stop the gushing fawning adoration of trick performing humans who do nothing better than a trained dog or chimp can do better and cheaper.http://forums.canadiancontent.net/images/icons/icon7.gif

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
The failed and aborted 2022 candidacies all have one thing in common: When actual citizens are allowed to have a say, they say they don't want the Olympics.

It is really a product of the times. In the past, lots of people wanted to host the games. In recent years though, people all over the world have received a major economic reality check. They have felt the pain of austerity, and are way less excited to host the games if it will lead to more of that.

And if no one wants to host it, it will go away.

I doubt it. They will cobble something together eventually.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Whistler could always do it again. Most of the venues are still useable.

Nope, no way should BC host another Olympic event - been there, done that. Though I do very much enjoy the games and the competitions, there is no way the expense can be justified for our province. Money is spent just trying to get a bid for them even before the cash starts flowing out once the games are awarded. I would be sorry to see the Olympics come to a halt but Russia really put the kibosh on the whole thing for me when they set such a ridiculously high bar for the next hosts - cause you gotta know that the next country to host them simply has to outdo the last.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
even though it would have been cool for Toronto, and other Canadian cities to host future summer and winter Olympics, the risk of increasing the debt and deficit is too great. :( eg. perhaps its a good thing that we didn't win the 2008 Olympic bid.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nope, no way should BC host another Olympic event - been there, done that. Though I do very much enjoy the games and the competitions, there is no way the expense can be justified for our province. Money is spent just trying to get a bid for them even before the cash starts flowing out once the games are awarded. I would be sorry to see the Olympics come to a halt but Russia really put the kibosh on the whole thing for me when they set such a ridiculously high bar for the next hosts - cause you gotta know that the next country to host them simply has to outdo the last.

A simple letter to the Olympic organizers saying we got the facilities built and this is what we will rent them to you for wouls suffice.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
even though it would have been cool for Toronto, and other Canadian cities to host future summer and winter Olympics, the risk of increasing the debt and deficit is too great. :( eg. perhaps its a good thing that we didn't win the 2008 Olympic bid.

I'm sure we would have taken on a good chunk of debt, but at least it would have motivated the government to actually invest in proper infrastructure for our city.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I wish I cared, but.......nope:-(

I think it's a positive sign when so many are saying 'Thanks but no Thanks' to the money grabbing Olympic bunch who fleece taxpayers to outbid each other to host these things.

The 'awarding' group have long been accused of bribery and other financial corruption so I am rather enjoying this Olympic Pride meltdown........

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Oh God I'm with Walter on this one maybe the games could just go away.
I was opposed to the Vancouver games and no way would I want them
back having the games didn't do anything for me or the guy next door.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Here's The Absurd List Of Hosting Demands For The 2022 Olympics That No One Wants

Oslo pulled out of the bidding for the 2022 Winter Olympics, much to the dismay of the International Olympic Committee, leaving Beijing and Almaty, Kazakhstan, as the only potential host cities still in the running.

Public support for hosting the Olympics in Norway, at an estimated cost of $5.4 billion, and a slew of other European cities was low. Every potential host city with a democratically elected government has pulled its bid for the 2022 games.

The Norwegian site VG dug through thousands of pages of IOC technical manuals and unearthed some of the requirements, expectations, and recommendations the IOC asked of its potential host cities.

In addition to complete autonomy and control over everything from the order of the Opening Ceremony to the style of the signage to advertising in public spaces, the IOC asks for some perks for its members that verge on parody.

Some of the perks are obvious: access to tickets, hospitality tent requirements, etc. But others ("hot breakfast"?) make the IOC look particularly aristocratic. Given the fact that the democratic nations are turning their backs on hosting the Olympics because of its inherent wastefulness, this silly list of demands looks bad for the IOC.

We looked through those technical manuals. Here's a sampling of what the IOC expected from Oslo

more

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-absurd-list-hosting-demands-153517578.html