To Boldly Go!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Stewart revealed he has a “living will” that provides specific instructions to doctors to withhold care from him in certain circumstances.
“Sadly, because of the law in [the UK], it cannot include anything to do with taking one’s own life or my wish for an assisted death should I become terribly ill,” he wrote. “If I could do that, I would.”

me too

I have a living will stating very specifically what I want done which amounts to almost nothing other than pain relief

Assisted suicide near the end would be something that both I and my guy would like to have as an option

I have removed my closest girlfriend from making decisions regarding my life as she would keep me plugged in and breathing for as long as possible...that is not my wish.

no intervention without quality of life and no keeping me going on some ventilator just in case they find a cure...

turn off the switch

too many people lay there choking on their own mucus for months...it is inhumane and despicable.

my animals go out so nicely

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It is silly that we have laws preventing it. I think it needs to be controlled. I don't want someone coming over and killing me tonight and saying I was asking for it. But if you are terminal, I think it should be allowed.

Also, why would the article mention his claim to fame being star of X-Men? His claim to fame is and always be being Captain Jean Luc Pickard. His accomplishments as a stage actor and X-Men are secondary.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Sounds like something Trudeau would say.

Good for him.

In a world where abortion is finally accepted, there's no reason why we need to keep people alive to die a painful death.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Not at all surprising given his history. Cool.

He's right, I agree completely. When you are at the end, when you are faced with suffering, you should have the right to leave this world with a little dignity.

For me its not so much the dignity. I honestly couldn't care less about the condition of my body as I'm dying or after I'm dead. Its more the physical pain Id prefer to avoid. The rest - meh. It happens to everyone sooner or later.

Also, why would the article mention his claim to fame being star of X-Men? His claim to fame is and always be being Captain Jean Luc Pickard. His accomplishments as a stage actor and X-Men are secondary.

Not to everyone. Also, he hasn't done anything Star Trek related acting wise in nearly 15 years. He is still doing X-men movies and stage plays regularly. The latter he has been doing most of his life.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
....Also, why would the article mention his claim to fame being star of X-Men? His claim to fame is and always be being Captain Jean Luc Pickard. His accomplishments as a stage actor and X-Men are secondary.

Picard actually :p

But most people today would better recognize him for X-Men, especially since the latest movie just came out.

From the OP's link:

Stewart shared the story of his friend Gillian Pinder, a 53-year-old with terminal cancer who sent her partner David out to walk their dog and then suffocated herself with a plastic bag.

“So desperate was she to be free of a world that … refused her the chance to die in dignity, that she had to die alone and in terrible pain,” he recalled.

“She ended her life in a terrible way, all alone.”

Calling the UK’s laws about assisted suicide “barbaric,” Stewart said “Gillian should have been allowed the choice to quietly slip away in David’s arms.”

He added: “I believe that choice at the end of life should include a change in the law to permit the option of assisted dying for people who are dying. It is cruel and inhumane that we compel people such as Gillian to end her life alone.”

Agreed 100%

"You and the Captain Make it Happen!"

Not to everyone. Also, he hasn't done anything Star Trek related acting wise in nearly 15 years. He is still doing X-men movies and stage plays regularly. The latter he has been doing most of his life.

The last Star Trek Movie he was in was Nemesis which was from 2002 (12 years ago) :p

... And how come nobody has brought up one of his more famous roles as King Richard?

"From this day forth, all the toilets in the kingdom shall be known as... johns!"

Let's also not forget Avery Bullock from American Dad:

Kathie Bondar

Kathie Bondar
May 11, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
me too

I have a living will stating very specifically what I want done which amounts to almost nothing other than pain relief

Assisted suicide near the end would be something that both I and my guy would like to have as an option

I have removed my closest girlfriend from making decisions regarding my life as she would keep me plugged in and breathing for as long as possible...that is not my wish.

no intervention without quality of life and no keeping me going on some ventilator just in case they find a cure...

turn off the switch

too many people lay there choking on their own mucus for months...it is inhumane and despicable.

my animals go out so nicely

What exactly do you do to your animals that makes them go?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
What exactly do you do to your animals that makes them go?

at my vet's they have a small comfortable room set aside...

last three cats went to the vet and they place a small IV line into their leg

they barely notice it

when you are ready the vet places the needle into the the little IV and they just go limp in your arms

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The last Star Trek Movie he was in was Nemesis which was from 2002 (12 years ago) :p

Yep, 12 which is nearly 15. Its been well over 15 years since he was in a good one.

when you are ready the vet places the needle into the the little IV and they just go limp in your arms

I had a bad experience with that. My dog totally freaked out during the injection. He was dead within seconds as is normal but his freak out was totally unexpected, even to the vet. Still, better than starving to death which is what would have happened if we hadn't put him down.