23 Percent Of American Honeybee Colonies Died This Winter, Feds Report

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
23 Percent Of American Honeybee Colonies Died This Winter, Feds Report

WASHINGTON (AP) — Nearly one out of four American honeybee colonies died this winter — a loss that's not quite as bad as recent years, says a new U.S. Department of Agriculture survey of beekeepers.

Under siege from parasites, disease, pesticide use, nutrition problems and a mysterious sudden die-off, 23 percent of bee colonies failed and experts say that's considerably less than the previous year or the eight-year average of 30 percent losses.

"It's better news than it could have been," said Dennis van Engelsdorp, a University of Maryland entomology professor who led the survey. "It's not good news."

Before a parasitic mite — just one of a handful of problems attacking the crucial-for-pollination honeybees — started killing bees in 1987, beekeepers would be embarrassed if they lost more than 5 or 10 percent of their colonies over the winter. Now they see a 23 percent loss as a bit of a break, said survey co-author Jeff Pettis, USDA's bee research chief.

"It's encouraging that if anything it's not a steady downward trend," said University of Illinois entomology professor May Berenbaum, who wasn't part of the survey of 7,200 beekeepers.

David Mendes, a North Fort Myers beekeeper and past president of the American Beekeeping Federation, thinks the numbers are lower than reality. His losses were around 30 percent, he said. And then earlier this year there was a massive die-off in the California almond fields, where "probably 100,000 hives got nailed," he added.

The experts aren't certain why this year wasn't as bad as previous years. Maybe 2012-2013 was so bad that beekeepers had to try harder to keep bees alive and baby their hives more, Pettis said.

There's no one reason for the losses, Pettis and others said. Several years ago they were surprised by a sudden die-off, called colony collapse disorder, but that has gone away the past few years, they said.

Pettis and van Engelsdorp said now the problem seems to be a combination of parasitic varroa mites, a relatively new class of pesticides, and poor nutrition because there's a lack of diversity in crops where they get their pollen.

Honeybees pollinate more than 90 of the world's flowering crops, including apples, nuts, broccoli, squash, citrus fruit, berries and melons.

It's getting to the point where many beekeepers can't keep afloat, van Engelsdorp, Pettis and beekeeper Mendes said.

"It's a really wild ride," Mendes said. "It's not a whole lot of fun."

source: 23 Percent Of American Honeybee Colonies Died This Winter, Feds Report

If the Bee Disappeared Off the Face of the Earth, Man Would Only Have Four Years Left To Live.

Albert Einstein

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I buy local honey at local apiaries and they say bee colony collapse is a lot of hokum and scare-mongering. Nothing out of the ordinary to lose hives over the winter and my local guys haven't had an inexplicable or out of the normal loss for years.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I buy local honey at local apiaries and they say bee colony collapse is a lot of hokum and scare-mongering. Nothing out of the ordinary to lose hives over the winter and my local guys haven't had an inexplicable or out of the normal loss for years.

You picked that up at your Local WalMart, didn't yeah WalMart.. It was made in China, like everything else in your home.. just like Chicken Nuggets..

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

hopefully the Africanized killer bees stay far below Toronto. :shock:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Wow. That was a copy pasta job.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Wow. That was a copy pasta job.

You noticed that too huh? It's got me wondering if he's got all his replies saved in his browser somewhere. Probably a whole file folder full of 'gubmit' quips.

Typing out replies is so time consuming you know.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
You noticed that too huh? It's got me wondering if he's got all his replies saved in his browser somewhere. Probably a whole file folder full of 'gubmit' quips.

Typing out replies is so time consuming you know.

Yep. It is exactly what I was expecting.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Let me advertise. (Thanks mods)
Chatsworth Honey

You just lost a whole bunch of points with me...

Chatsworth, ON N0H 1G0, Canada - yeah we are talking about in the USA..

Neuro-active insecticides are banned in Canada and in Europe, but not in the USA. They are toxic enough to kill bees and this is the problem.

Yeah, you're buying your honey in Canada... Canada is not effected as yet..

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
You just lost a whole bunch of points with me...

Chatsworth, ON N0H 1G0, Canada - yeah we are talking about in the USA..

Neuro-active insecticides are banned in Canada and in Europe, but not in the USA. They are toxic enough to kill bees and this is the problem.

Yeah, you're buying your honey in Canada... Canada is not effected as yet..
Winds blows.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Hmmmm. That is a big problem.

.... any buzz on how we get out of it .... or at least reduce the sting?